Agnostic.com

51 3

Why are you still on Facebook?

I deleted my Facebook account about 6 years ago. The reason had nothing to do with thinking it was an evil site or anything like that, but in light of all the political manipulation and data mining scandals, I do think it's a pretty evil site and I really don't understand why more people haven't dumped it. Why are you still on Facebook?

Hermit 7 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

51 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It has one of the few decent instant messengers left, that mainly why I use it.

My life is spread out all over the world. It keeps me in touch with "my" community as a whole and not segmented parts. I do not accept friend requests easily, though. My circle is small compared to most.

So, you are not going to respond to my friend request.

Because I like to look at the pictures of what people are having for dinner

Because I have 4 business pages.
Because my family is widespread and it's a great way to stay in contact and share photos and information quickly. This goes for my friends too.
Because I run 2 really great groups and belong to about 6 more.
Because I have thousands of photos there that I can access quickly from anywhere in the world.
Because there are a few antique related pages where collectors share photos - and there is no where else to do that.
Because I can buy/sell on the marketplace almost easier than with craigslist.
Because there is no other platform like it that does so much.

Who doesn't use Facebook? I use it everyday to: showoff my selfies; display what I had for breakfast, post a "if you read my status, cut n paste this ...", display what I had for lunch, prayer request, perpetuate internet hoaxes, display what I had for dinner, more selfies, etc.
. Just kidding 😉

LOL ?

Family and friends are on FB and it's an easy, convenient way to stay in touch.

I have friends and family on there. Many of them will never be on here.

mostly to keep in touch with friends - many who have moved all over the planet.

Ditto 🙂

It's not an evil site - no such thing - it's simply what you make of it. In my case, my daughter posts pictures of our first grand baby (March 11th of this year) and that alone is worth being a member.

Email?

@Stoics the issue is getting the children to send the pics via email; they put them on social media and then they're done. That was the primary factor in why I joined 10 years ago

Creepy is probably a better description than evil.

I have friends in the ukulele community around the world. I've stopped posting, except for the occasional tidbit, but Facebook is how I learn about gatherings, campouts, and jams. They are really the only reasons I haven't deleted my account.

For entertainment mostly. I've set my filters to mostly just let humor content through. It's also the main conduit to much of my family.

Zster Level 8 May 13, 2018

Because i have the ability to filter out what i consider BS ?

I have a lot of friends and relatives on Facebook. I enjoy it.

Deb57 Level 8 May 15, 2018

And I suppose you think that’s a good reason. ?

I’m still connected to FB because of my mom and my business. She loves that she can stay more connected than my monthly phone calls. I just have too many business connections on it too.

If it weren’t for those I’d be gone.

Swade Level 4 May 15, 2018

I’m still connected to FB because of my mom and my business. She loves that she can stay more connected than my monthly phone calls. I just have too many business connections on it too.

If it weren’t for those I’d be gone.

Swade Level 4 May 15, 2018

I joined very reluctantly in '12 for a topic specific reason, hardly posted for several years, then it became my "hobby escape". I still hate FB a lot; it killed a lot of one stop forums where all kinds of info was in one place, now there are a billion groups to be in ...It has its place in my world. I don't use it much for family, I'm bad about that. It's just too hard being separated form them & I'd rather go analog with them with phone calls.
FB just seems to be another avenue to ignore each other.

Everyone could start using snail mail again and save the postal service. I understand wanting to stay connected with friends and family, but I’d certainly love the spectacle of a mass exodus away from Facebook.

If I can be honest I really don't know hahah

Still use it. Have maybe 20 friends including family. I also get some news feed stuff, humor and cartoons. Long before the big blow up I already had all of my privacy settings in place.

I'm more of a lurker than anything else, and I rarely post or comment, but I receive regular feeds from some very informative and/or entertaining pages, particularly "Futurism", "ScienceDump" and "I fucking love science" (technology updates), "io9" (SF-based short films), and some very funny postings from "Science Humor", "ViralNova" and "Rhymes with Stupid". It's also a good way to send birthday wishes to relatives without actually having to speak to them.

Because I find funny memes and I can stay in contact with friends that I don’t want them to have my phone number.

With my schedule, talking on phone is tough so facebook has enabled me to keep in touch a bit better

Family mostly but I also use it as photo dump while traveling or geocaching. I save a lot of links for home repair/remodel or things I am saving for my granddaughter when she gets old enough to have one.

My brother died many years ago leaving young children behind. His wife remarried and I lost contact. Eventually my niece found me through facebook. She was not the last long lost person to find me so I keep it.

I don't air my dirty laundry on it but I also do not sugar coat my opinions either.

I hated the way it was spying on me so I deleted it after six months. I don't want a Facebook account.

Because it's the one social networking platform that I feel comfortable using. Not comfortable with the data breaches and the Zuck's actions, but comfortable in that it's fairly user-friendly and I prefer using it to other social networking sites. If I found another site that I felt as comfortable with as I do with FB, I'd go there.

Staying in touch with friends abroad and music links.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80482
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.