Agnostic.com

16 7

Just how strange?

How strange or unhealthy is it that I'm 32 and basically have 0 friends? I've moved away and back to my home town a couple of times but don't keep in contact with anybody. And in my past the people I hang out with help get me into trouble so I've avoided keeping many friends around. Now I'm ready to start my career and do the whole family thing but how do I do that without any friends? How do I go about finding ones being a single 32 year old guy?

Chrimcke04 3 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well first off thanks to everyone, I didnt expect this many responses. There is a lot of good suggestions here. I've been burned by a couple of ppl I thought were true friends so that definitely contributed to me building up walls around me. I'm also a giver and like helping people, it just turns out so many just take then leave. I just recently helped a friend out with moral support, helping her get through something but I asked when we were gonna hang out and suddenly she had no time. I also got a late start on college and thought that may help but the age difference is a big deal, I don't relate to any of them, turns out 11 or 12 years difference feels like a whole different world. Anyway, ill take some of the suggestions here, start from scratch, worry about me and keep my eyes open, maybe try the Meetup thing doing something I like. Thank you everyone, this is a great community!!!

Making new friends as an adult requires emotional risk. You have to get involved in something you enjoy (kayaking meetup, local music). When you meet someone you like, tell them you like them. Just don't be weird about it. Good luck!

I have found over the years i am stay at home and not go out kinda person myself. I can count on one hand the friends that are real and i trust. I don't talk to people very often, because I don't like people that much, but if you are going to meet someone will happen, get a pet you like like a dog, take the dog for walks at local parks and just walk around, dog will love it and you willmeet people too. good luck.

First, real friends are rare. You will maybe have 5 or 6 true friends in your entire life. Second, a lot of it has to do with your location and the pool of people you have surrounding you. If you have a bunch of fuckwits around you, maybe you are better off not befriending any of them. Third, being a friend involves skills you can learn; showing genuine interest in conversations, sharing your own problems or anxieties as well as your advice and encouragement, and lending a hand even when nobody asks you. 32 is still real young, you are half my age. There are a number of very good suggestions in the rest of the comments. Good luck, brother, keep posting here and that will almost certainly help.

It's been said that if you have 2 true friends in your life then you have done well for yourself. That doesn't mean that they are with you from cradle to grave but that you shared their company no matter how briefly. There are plenty of ready made friends to be had in social groups, in particular you can find these people at churches but just be aware that when the chips are really down they won't be your friends, much like those deadbeat friends who help you get into trouble.
Personally, I have found the easiest way to make friends is to be true to myself, that way I tend to attract people that I am compatible with into my life. I also find it is better to have a few solid friends than a hundred fair weather associates and if you are really lucky you might find a true friend along the way.
There way a sign on a friends wall and it went something like this:

True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare
False friends are like autumn leaves, found everywhere.

I am a loner, an introvert and pretty much a recluse. I enjoy and prefer being by myself MOST of the time. I do have a few friends but do not see or spend time with them on any regular basis. We are all individuals and there is no "one size fits all" to humans.

Not strange.
I think a lot of people shed others along the way, feel they have no friends, etc.
You keep going, doing and being you and accept that age and life distance childhood comradery.

Welcome to this site. In addition to all of us online buddies, hopefully you can connect with someone on this site that lives close by. Other thoughts might be: are there any organizations in your town that you could join, take a yoga class or some other type of class, work on a political campaign since this is the season for that, join a gym? Depending on how extroverted you are it may be easier than you think to get into conversation with others. I have a local coffee shop I go to quite often and that helps. In the past I actually took a little part time job as a barista in a small coffee shop and I met some people that are still my friends and that was 20 years ago

Well you're welcome here of course. Pay attention to your neighbors. Say hi, if you see someone who needs a hand and you're able, give that hand. Strike up conversations. The concept of community has been largely lost and we're all suffering for it. My advice is pay attention, reach out and be someone you'd want as a friend.

Yessss!

The concept of community has been lost and we do suffer because of it. I blame the cameras on everyone's propety...

@Freespirit64 lol

For deeper people it takes time. Be patient.

Yes. This. Quality over quantity.

Maslow's hierarchy of need. Sometimes people are working on other things than building friendships. NOW is your time for building friendships and community, family and career. "If you build it, they will come." All it takes is a smile and time. Don't go looking for friends, friendships will happen in time as you become your own best friend. Instead, work on your stability and your foundation, create a life that makes YOU content and slowly let people in by doing simple stuff (wherever you go): a smile, a greeting, a wave, listen to them when they speak, ask them questions about themselves, show an interest in who they are. The more you listen and observe, the more you'll be able to discern who you actually LIKE, who do YOU want to surround yourself with? I think you're in an ideal place to create the community you want, it's like creating a garden. Enjoy! 🙂

Attend social functions like concerts, carnivals, or bowling alleys for a start. Just to name a few things.

Believe me. You are not the only one, surprising as that may seem. I know two people, who I chat to on social media who have zero friends. My own life is not much better. It's modern life.

I like what Betty wrote here. Paraphrasing; how do you define friend? We all 'know' a lot of people (biblical sense or not 🙂), but do any of us have more than 10 friends? And I mean real, true friends. I have maybe 3 good friends. I'm lucky enough to travel the world and meet lots of folks, and I keep in touch with many. And I know at least 50 of the 100 people in my neighborhood. We wave, chat, help each other out. But I don't really consider them friends. They are relationships, and positive ones, and friendly. To me a friend is someone who calls to ask 'what's up; have not seen you in a while; let's do lunch'. Hell, as I think about, having 10 might be a burden! 🙂

Welcome to our community. I hope you will enjoy this great and diverse group of personalities.

Honest communication and trust are key elements in any relationship. Knowing yourself and what you have to offer in way of values, morals, interests, needs, wants, desires, and your dreams can give you a good indication of what you are looking for in others as potential friends. Take an inventory of yourself. Have you any fears, been betrayed, bad experiences, and concerns that would have created a wall that keeps you from letting anyone get close?

Learn about yourself and gain insight so your can work the areas you want to improve. Confidence comes from knowledge and comfort in yourself and that attracts others. 🙂

Betty Level 8 May 17, 2018

Yup, what she said ⬆

@SpikeTalon

Thank you. 🙂

Join your work peers for lunch.

Join community groups of your interests..i.e., hiking, kayaking, ballroom dance, bird watching, jamming with others on acoustical instruments, etc.

Check community billboards, both online and at the local library.

Volunteer to clean up trash and repair trails at local parks and national parks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83302
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.