Agnostic.com

43 9

Is it normal for a person to enjoy being single more than being in a relationship?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments (26 - 43)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yup.
Either has its good and bad.

Apart from defining normal, which I'm not going to do, I think it depends on the sort of person you are and possibly what happened in your last relationship.

I'm quite happy in my own company so it doesn't particularly bother me and I would rather be single for a thousand years than go through again what happened in my marriage (Details not available for public scrutiny)

It's personal and up to you πŸ™‚

...who the hell wants to be "normal" anyway?

What is normal ?

I don't think either is wrong. It all depends on where you are in life. I'd like to be in a relationship, mainly because for way too long I avoided even the possibility of being in one for reasons that were unhealthy, and I've gotten to a point where that's not an obstacle anymore. That being said, I don't think I could be in a relationship if I also hadn't learned how to be comfortable being single. I feel it's essential that you can be there for yourself, regardless of whether you're in a relationship or not. But to define my happiness or sense of normalcy on whether or not I'm in a relationship, that's not even an issue for me.

There's no such thing as "normal" in this context. You are what you are. If you're happy and content then everything's fine.

If you came out of a bad relationship then yes you would feel better being single. If you meet your soul mate then you wouldn’t want to be single

Absolutely!

I loved being single. Did what I wanted to. Became and took the lead. Then I became a follower.

I have a seemingly insatiable desire for intimate relationships. but insist on living alone. I don't worry over what's considered normal.

I'm not sure if it's normal, but there's certainly nothing wrong with enjoying the freedom of being single.

I'd say being single is definitely preferable to an unhealthy relationship.

Yes!

Cakes Level 4 May 28, 2018

It's best to follow your own way. I separated from a marriage of 19 years. I found I have no wish to live with someone 24/7. My last relationship we agreed to keep our own places and meet up when we wanted to. I know several couples who live apart like that. there is a lot of social pressure and expectations to commit and live together socially and economically. I might change my view if I met someone very special. Options are always open. but to be honest I find relationships remain fresher if you see each other on occasion. Often the need for intense closeness can become smothering and cause problems

Normal simply means what’s excepted and done by the largest number of people… If you don’t want to be normal you don’t have to.

Everybody or nearly all, should try it. Everybody should have a crappy customer service job and visit an exotic place too. If you like being single great, if you do decide to be in a relationship you know what you like and that you're not just there because you're afraid of being alone.

Of course should be normal, from babies we enjoy our first freedoms on our own, alone. Being able to make decisions without worry of hurting or inconvenience anyone is what should be Normal.

Both h as be their upsides. Enjoy!

Absolutely it’s normal!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:88983
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.