Agnostic.com

19 4

Do Men actually ask women on dates anymore?

I have not dated since the late 70s and am really curious, do men ask out women for coffee or dinner? I don’t think I am hideous or scary or anything. I promise I don’t bite (well maybe in the right situation). Do I need to ask out a guy? And if I ask someone out do I offer to pay?

Kadygee 6 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, waiting for the women to ask

I think mating rituals have changed somewhat since then.

I think so, I haven't done so in a very long time but I think it's still ok to do. As far as I'm aware you could ask too, obviously having done your homework on availability etc. Going dutch is also still acceptable as far as I know.
Good luck 🙂

It's usually me that asks a girl out. But with online dating booming it depends. I've found that online, even though I initiate contact, 40-50% of the time, I'm being asked to meet them. I always pay though.so it depends I guess.

I read where someone said, and it can be applied to dating as well as on that site...." You have matured, when you can say "NO" without apology, and "YES" without guilt...............

I was in the Air Force for 8 years(1966-1974), doing work that had me moving every 6 months to a years time,as the Vietnam war was raging, and Men doing my specialty(Aircraft Weapons Mechanic),were in high demand,making putting down roots,finding a good Woman to marry and start a family with her, almost impossible. The way it went,I'd find a nice girl,start to get serious,and then the orders would be waiting to move on,after going through this wrenching ordeal a few times,had me make a promise not to date, while I was in the service, to keep breaking hearts(hers and mine).

So,after discharge,I went home to San Diego Ca. where my enlistment story began,after finding work in the electronics industry,I built large electrical power conditioning equipment,it was steady work but the wages were low($2.85 an hour in 1974), I was reluctant to even try to date,as my food and aprtment rent were consuming any money I had to go out and meet Women.

The thoughts of being married with children,I had to put away,hoping for better job opportunities in the future, so I quit dating for 16 years time.After a wage restructuring took place ,I found work at General Dynamics/Convair in San Diego Ca.and worked there many years until my pay increased and could afford a wife,so I ran an ad in a singles paper,my wife to be read it and we married 6 months later, a good marriage, no drama, stress,or serious fights,actually discussions. So from 1990-2016,were happy times for me and her.

First off I must say I do. I had this very conversation with my daughter. She is a beautiful, smart, funny and popular young lady like most of the girls on her squad. Yet for the prom non of them were asked out. Many of the girls throughout the school went in groups and so did the boys. I told her most boys are cowards when it comes to approaching a girl and it has gotten worse because now most communicate through social media. To shield them from face to face rejection.
But I told her that it will get better with age. However, judging from this post maybe not.?

I asked. I paid.
I used to go get what I wanted. Now it is better that I don't want anything.

That is very sad

@Kadygee Sad? No. More like I am free from the search. You will see.

Call me old fashioned, but I hate the thought of the lady paying for dinner. It doesn't matter who asked who out. I also think going Dutch or 50/50 is a cop out.. If you like the lady enough to ask her out or agree to an invitation the guy should pay. You are paying for the pleasure of her company...and time etc And if you feel like asking a man out, you should. Most men would be flattered to be asked in the first place. You probably should brush up on your flirting skills..because some men are clueless regarding signals that a woman may be attracted to them..you may have to be a bit more forward and less reserved than you might be used to. ?

I can vouch for that. I'm pretty oblivious to "signals" like that. I always have been.

@JILost Me to ..I am clueless to it..or at least was before I got married..my wife had to spell it out for me...???

My idea is that it's perfectly ok to ask or not to ask. And it's perfectly ok to accept or decline.

So here is my sad tale of woe: I'm at a local bar with friends and the guy next to me starts talking with me. We are talking for at least 20 minutes then he says, "yeah I don't know why women don't take the initiative and ask a man for a date. That would be great if they did." So I decide to take the bait and I say,"ok would you like to go out on a date with me?" He answers, " No, I'm not interested in you, I was just making conversation" Hahaaa I never tried it again

You're brave. I really admire you actually!

I think your rejection is something men have been dealing with for centuries. It must be terrifying for men and I remember my father once telling me how rejection used to crush his self esteem but he learned to let rejection wash over him.

I think you're great. I wish I had your courage.

@beansontoast thank you for defending my honor. I believe I told him to bugger off.

@Ellatynemouth thanks and I do think you are right about men dealing with it. Maybe that is why he did it to me.

@Texasrunner thank you that is sweet of you to say

Sorry I laughed at that. That's sad but would be my luck

@Shelton he will never know! LOL

@Kadygee that's quite alright I laugh about it now too

Hey, Henry here !!! ... Is the paper work ready??? We can have a date in fantasy land right away !! I would've never said no to you !! ( Sorry, I know that's no fun... I have been at the other side of your story when the one with the initiative is me only to get rejected that feels like a kick in the gut... Eventually we all get numb anyway )

@IamNobody hey Henry, I know it happens to guys. Maybe he figured it was his pay back time.

@AmelieMatisse I hear you......we can only guess what was going through his head.

If you ask someone out then yeah, you have to foot the bill, Anyway I thibk so. There are still guys out there that ask women out but things are changing in the dating world. I went out with a guy a few times that even when he asked me to do something there was always the idea that I should help pay.

@Texasrunner yes it is called that and I do agree that it should be discussed first

I may have said this story already. I would never ask a date to pay for anything, that's my nature.... Hold on to that thought. I was at a bar few weeks ago, few people on a Tuesday. Out of the blue, the lady two sits down to my left ask the bar tender to give us all a free drink (it was cinnamon something... can't remember, I only drink beer). Anyhow, I told her that things should be the orher way around, so I offered to pay for her drink.... Her smile vanished, then fierce eye contact and she told me .. "I am going to have to be very blunt with you, I own this place and if I say I am buying then you take the drink, ok???" Well, I did.... Only exception to my principles.

@IamNobody good one

It's not their job to.

Nope, because women always say No ??

Not me. Too much pressure and awkwardness, unless it is someone you have known for at least a little while.

I have never asked a woman out on a date. Of course I'm gay, so there's that.

Do you ask men?

@Kadygee Sometimes, after a couple of drinks.

I'm still not even sure what a date is.
Seems like another word crushed by its implications for whoever hears or says it.
Let's just hang out, do what seems fun.

I think some men a starting to become scared of seducing/approaching women, scared that he might be accused of sexual harassment.

KenG Level 6 May 24, 2018

I think in this era it is great when a woman asks a man out on a date. Why should the impetus be on the man? You can discuss who pays when you fix the details.

I think it’s the mans job.

@KenG Seriously I prefer a man ask me out, but I understand the dynamic. If I think there is a chance of any interest I might ask. And if I am asked out I'd likely say yes.

@HippieChick58 I would be slightly put off by a women asking me out blatantly. I would suggest just making it obvious that you like him somehow.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:89401
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.