Agnostic.com

36 2

What are peoples thoughts on death and does it scare you?

I find that I am not scared of death itself or what may come after it(not a lot) but of not having enough time to do all the things I want to do. What are your thoughts about death and why it seems a vast amount of people fear it?

Brence 4 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't fear death I fear hurting, or being a burden, by hanging around too long- I am old and I have done enough in my life to feel fulfilled, so, just coasting at the moment; as I said somewhere else -old enough to take life easy, fiddle around with my artwork and enjoy the view.

My fear of death fell away with belief in religion.

I have some fear of dying, that can be rather unpleasant. But once I'm dead, I will no longer care. I really don't think on it at all any more.

I'm not afraid of death, In my mind its just natural everyone dies. I figure when it happens it happens. Though many things may cause me to die sooner or later then others i will die either way, so it dosnt scare me im just okay with it. But that just me. ????

I am not scared of death per se, but I am scared of dying.

I have no fear of dying. I do not fear death. It is simply part of the cycle. I do think that once I die that there is nothing beyond. I think we just cease to exit and decompose to rejoin the world.

Lol, I not scared of death, really. I'm not even scared of there being nothing after death. I'm spiritual, I believe in God and Heaven and Hell, and I believe that where you go depends on how you live, not what you believe. Although I'd be open to all of that being wrong, too. It really doesn't matter enough to me. My only fear regarding death is that I'd stop EXISTING. I can handle an empty afterlife of darkness and nothingness, but I cannot understand the concept of ceasing to exist. That's why I still believe what I do. I just find t hard to believe that, with all of my memories, my perceptions in life, my senses, everything, would just STOP. I mean, how we even know what death is, why would anyone ever fear it, if we would literally be GONE when we're gone?

Death, per se, doesn't scare me... DYING on the other hand, does.

The aspect of death I find scary - or at least damn unsettling, is the idea of having some painful, lingering illness that renders me mostly helpless and dependent.

Otherwise I don't find the idea of death scary. In fact, the way the world's going lately, I feel my timing will likely be good. Not that I'm in any hurry mind you ! I'm rather enjoying myself ...

I'm not afraid of dying at the appropriate place and time. (Very, very, old, ambulatory, sane, and not in pain.) Everything else scares me. Having said that. The bright side, I hope, is that there won't be taxes, bills, mortgages, lousy bosses, insensitive xs, war, poverty, pollution, politics, injustice, police brutality, human and animal abuse.

My thinking is that we become what we were before we were born. We never seem to worry about where we were before two cells hooked up in a warm, cozy, dark place and became us.

I do not fear death. I read a quote somewhere that said:

"You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust riding a rock hurtling through space. Fear nothing."

That works for me.

I don't fear anything. I dislike many things. Pain is a dislike. I don't want to be in pain. But, why would I fear death? It's part the of the same ride we're all on.

All of life is based on either fear or love. Every emotion that you experience can be drilled down to one of those at the root of it.

I choose love rather than fear.

Duke Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

Death is but part of life, I don’t believe there is nothing to be scared about; for a species that still searching for where we have come, what ever happens after life, should not be scary. I believe people fear death, because the associate their existence with the material possessions they have or would like to have, and they don’t want to lose what they have worked hard to achieve.

Death is exactly what it looks like. When I'm dead I won't even know I"m dead because there will be no one there anymore to know anything. Kinda makes you appreciate life here and now every day.

I have no fear of death. It's an inevitable conclusion whether you're ready to die or not. What I do fear is how I die. For example, I find the concept of being eaten alive, terrifying. I find I'm afraid of drowning. There are other ways of dying I fear but I won't get into that. You get my point.

SamL Level 7 Dec 18, 2017

I work at a hospital. I have thick skin now. Death doesn't scare me anymore.

MoniB Level 6 Dec 18, 2017

A few years ago, I was diagnosed with leukemia. I found it to be very interesting that i ws nto really scared at all about dying. (I no longer have leukemia)

As to death itself, I will get there eventually, as we all will, but I am not in any hurry to get there. I think fear of death is just fer of the unknown. I don't see any rationality to beign afraid just becaue I don't knoe something... yet.

I’m not afraid of death;I just don’t want to be there when it happens -Woody Allen

I actually died during a serious illness...it was lovely & peaceful and there was a sort of enjoyable expectation of "more" coming soon.
Then they brought me back to a body full of pain and the possibility of life-long disability both mental & physical. I was 38 at the time. Longed for death for many years, so much nicer! Be not afraid!

I think I have a healthy survival instinct. I'm in no hurry to die but I don't fear it. What I fear is pain. This culture has some real screwed up ideas about death. The Christian who should welcome death seems to fear it the most, thinking it the worst of all evils. I like what Mark Twain had to say about it. I was dead for millions of years before I was born and was not in the least inconvenienced by it.

The two basic drives for ALL life is survival and procreation. We are pre-programmed for those impulses. Fear is the motivator, especially for survival and , for me, yes. I wonder if the indoctrination that many of us went through which promised immortality only adds to that fear. From experience it seems easier to not have something than to have had it and then lost it.

My partner always thought religion was silly and never succumbed to it. Her family were lax Moslem's and her mother supported her questioning (the stories I have heard). When she was dying there was no fear, whatsoever and, in fact, there was only joy in the life she had, had. Also, during her death process 2 doctors showed up who were active in our states Death with Dignity program. Some amazing stories they told us added to her joy. I also, heard stories about how some groups could turn off their fear at death.

For me it is as many have said, fear of suffering. There is also fear of dying alone, not fixing loose ends and not having contributed something positive to the community of the living (human and non-human).

Can't control it why worry about it. Most people are just not brave enough to acknowledge the fact that there is nothing after life! That is why you should live every day as your last. Tell the people that you love every day. Do not worry but take the best action you can with problems.Create a bucket list and try to complete it. I accomplished about 80% but health has prevented me from the rest. I hope I do not linger for a long time.In addition I am sad at the sadness my passing may cause others as I have a very close relationship with my extended family. Just appreciate every day!

Death is a part of life and is the only guarantied thing you will get out of life. Why fear the inevitable?

It’s doesnt scare me, but I want to continue my existence.

I'm not in the least bit afraid of my eventual end. Things come and things go. However, I admit I am concerned a little about the when. Any time will be too soon for me. So much left to learn, so many things yet to experience. Of course I see how ridiculous that is, but it is my one concern. The people around me I know may hurt for a while, but life will go on for them after my switch is flipped. I wish them well.

Why others have such fear, I can't even begin to say. I'm sure the reasons are in incomprehensible variations, so I won't try.

it's the dying part and perhaps knowing your dying that's scary. you don't get upset about before you were born.

It does scare me. Not believing in heaver or hell or any of that, I've thought through what it might be like for absence of anything after it, and it's frightening. Think about when you sleep, the dreaming part aside, or better yet if you go under for surgery. Someone sitting awake with you will experience several hours of time pass, while for you it's instantaneous, yet you were together just before and still together now, experiencing the same moments. Like nature abhors a vacuum, consciousness abhors nothingness, and like the perception of time from falling asleep to waking up gets stretched together to meet another, when you die and there is nothing afterwards, your perception of time will be infinitely stretched forward. So I hope to be in a very painless and non-horrific situation when my time comes, or I could find myself in my very personal hell forever.

godef Level 7 Dec 18, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.