Agnostic.com

23 4

Deal Breakers

How far do you feel is feasible to travel for dating? I wouldn't think further than 30 minutes or so. What about if they want kids, or want to travel and you don't. Or if they smoke or drink a lot? Is it worth it to even chat with them or is it just a waste of time? In real life, you probably wouldn't know all this up front. Online, you get so much info, I find that it is easy to rule every one out.

Purplegirl1974 5 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dealbreakers: Republican, Libertarian, Nascar freak, anyone disliking animals, shirtless profile pics, bullies, hillbillies, white nationalists, poor grammar, no sense of humor.

How about Evangelicals? Can you name another group which threatens our freedoms more?

Ax murderers. Can't stand them, messy. Women that wear hats in warm weather, I don't know, seems to be a correlation with aberrant behavior. Women that don't like dogs, not that they are bad people but I will always have a dog. Bad house keepers, not that they have to keep my house, I can do it, just don't make it worse. Trump supporters, can't trust them for any moral or ethical behavior or decisions.

@Shellbell I am not a misogynist, I fully admit I might be wrong and there is no science behind this. Go to a bar or club, find the girl wearing a hat inside, usually something like a decorated porkpie hat. Add alcohol, wait a of hours and you will witness a kind of crazy only seen in a Tarrantino movie.

Wide brimmed hats , keep the sun off your face thereby helping to prevent getting skin cancer or wrinkles . Also keeps the glare from your eyes , so you can see better .

@Cast1es not those, the ones that wear porkpie hats with feathers or such.

@clarkatticus I don't even know what a porkpie hat is . Please , a little more clarification than , with feathers .

@Cast1es imagine a hat, any hat, that has no other use than to attract attention.

It's good to be selective. But remember, when you rule everyone out, you end up with nothing.

Sometimes nothing is better than negative assets . If you're so insecure that you're willing to accept someone who is detrimental to you , into your life , you should probably reconsider the situation .

@Cast1es : True. But no one is completely negative. Everyone has some redeeming qualities. Maybe we should weigh the pros and cons?

Your 30 minute guideline seems about right. You're right, it is very easy to develop reasons to rule people out online. My deal breakers would be any kind of irrational intolerance, extreme neediness, any kind of control freak behavior, rudeness, habitual lateness, slovenly personal space, and of course slavish devotion to any kind of religion at all. I shy away from people more than 3 or 4 miles from me who don't write anything in their profile. If you got nothing to say, take your picture down, FFS.

Cigarette smoking is a dealbreaker for me.

Marz Level 7 May 27, 2018

What if you aren't really looking, or don't expect to find someone, so you just interact as a friend, then it becomes much more intense, serious?
You find someone who is honest, even when it's difficult, tactful and kind spirited, tho contradicting you?
This person not only accepts your flaws, but likes some of them, and helps with others?
You reciprocate because you have a basic similarity, affection.
There are obstacles, yes, distance is one -
the main one?
Wouldn't you at least try to meet?

@Purplegirl1974
I certainly understand those aspects Girl. Ty for the further explanation.

one cannot choose to whom one is attracted, but certainly one can decide that someone, however attractive, is not THE one, or even the right now one. i know i am a severely flawed individual, and as such i know that anyone with whom i have any relationship, platonic or otherwise, will have to be accepting of them, just as i would have to be accepting of theirs. but you are correct in that one should at least make the effort.....

Distance is important, but an hour is doable. Substance abuse is a dealbreaker. Infidelity is a dealbreaker. Sexual incompatibility is a deal breaker.

Personally, I'm not looking outside 50 to 100 miles, but I remain open to someone from anywhere. I have friends very happily married whose relationships started online across the country. As for what I want and don't out of life ─ kids, travel, smoking, drinking ─ those are major matters of lifestyle and quick deal makers or breakers for me. I don't waste my time. (For example, I'm a 38-year recovering alcoholic, but can be around people who drink responsibly. If a woman tells me she has an occasional drink, fine. If she drinks daily, it won't work.)

It is difficult to become friends with someone who lives a long distance away. I think we all have deal breakers - if someone voted for #45, that would be the quickest deal breaker.

Having a (couple of) bike(s), road trips tend to be a thing of enjoyment, so i'd say maybe a couple of hours distance would be my initial limit, more if there is anything there to make the trip worthwhile (no, not sex specifically), but what would NOT make it worthwhile: arrogance, ingratitude, religiousness, an overbearing attitude, racist talk/actions, nationalism, right wing politics (sadly, i include libertarians in this, though i was one in my earlier days), illiteracy, incuriosity. i guess, if you are not mentally and politically engaged, bye!

Traffic is so bad where I live that it can sometimes take 30 minutes to drive 3 miles. So I would probably accept anything from 1 - 1 1/2 hr drive. The things that I dislike, such as drinking to excess, smoking, rudeness and bad personal hygiene are deal breakers for me but sadly these would not be apparent in an online bio. However, the incidental info (to me) but important stuff too, like travel, food, family preferences etc can set a basis for further exploration or not.

I would drive an hour at most, but prefer someone closer, of course. Compatibility is important, so if her lifestyle habits and goals are not similar to mine then I feel it's a waste of time to talk with/date her. No one should go into a relationship hoping they will change the other person to be compatible to their wants and needs.

Scanning thru, I saw a comment which made me think of something someone very dear told me...
Close to his words... "One shouldn't harshly judge someone who mispronounces a word. If that happens, and they seem smart enough otherwise, then it's likely they are self taught and learned the mispronounced words through reading them!."
Ty B,
Bev

vanity

I think it's feasible if it's around the places I usually travel frequently. For instance omaha is 8 hour drive but I go there once a month so it wouldn't be unreasonable to meet someone there. I also go to the northern edge of Oklahoma and southern Missouri near Arkansas frequently.

I'm not okay with too much drinking. Smoking too much weed.

I find I'd not be opposed to being friends, but definately let them know they're not a romantic candidate.

And I'd like to date someone from another country but it's expensive and takes a lot of trust that I just haven't got

@LadyAlyxandrea
Good call. But that's just me typing from experience.

My second wife lived 13 hours away! But now, having dabbled in online dating for years (mostly unsuccessfully), I think an hour is enough. Closer is always better but there are also advantages to living further away as it really tests your resilience and helps weed out people who really aren't that engaged. Where I live is predominantly married families. So anyone is a minimum 30 minutes away - on average. That's a very generalist sort of statement, but that's just the way it is here in suburbia where homes average $400,000 or more. There's isn't a lot of single women nearby.

Friends first, then worry about the rest if there is mutual interest. You can never have too many friends!

JK666 Level 7 June 18, 2018

At this point , I have no expectations . I sincerely feel that , as you said , it's easy to everyone out . I like my life and who I am . The chances that I'll meet anyone who'll actually make life better are much , much smaller than the chance of becoming involved with someone who'll make it a whole lot worse . The last several men who have shown any interest , wanted me to , "loan," them ,which I had no expectation of ever seeing returned , wanted to move in , so they could live like a king at my expense , had habits , I have no desire to deal with (smoking , alcoholism , drugs , financial problems , dominance issues ) , and had no skills or interest in anything beneficial to me . These days , since I can no longer do as much as I used to do , when I was younger , if I can't manage something on my own , I hire someone . I am very glad , I prepared well for my own future .

I agree with the 30 minutes too. One of my dealbreakers is you need to be an adult that drives yourself places. One very nice person who I'm friends but will not date proposed a first date of me coming to get him, cuddle and Netflix on my couch, then I get to drive him home. He doesn't drive "because it makes him nervous". I was married for 11 years to a man who didn't drive - I've done my time in that particular hell, thanks. Bring something to the table besides helpless need, its such a turnoff!

Extreme conservatives, forget it--and that's and excellent point that we tend to get more information to go on from on-line contacts.

Depends on how horny you are ?

You know, I just about agree with you.

One of my touchstones is don't trust anyone who doesn't like dogs or the blues. If they don't like either...!!!!! Its worked so far.

I live in one of the places that's the farthest from anywhere. We're used to driving at least 3 hours just to get somewhere! LOL

I have a lot of the same deal breakers as everybody else. Conservative politics and big into religion are the top two deal breakers of course.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:91825
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.