Agnostic.com

23 21

Is it just me??

Is it just me or is social media (especially instagram & snapchat) seem to be all about attention?? All I see now is people who just want comments and "likes" under their photos and meaningless videos. Being a trainer, this couldn't be more true in the "fitness industry"...I love those "I woke up like this" pics with full make up on, bent over, with the biblical quote under the pic lol It's not confidence or "being comfortable in your skin"..It's attention whoring at it's finest in order to not deal with your low self esteem issues. People I once knew as humble people now need their fake egos fed.

Domination101 4 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's not just you.

Agree! I figure that people working on themselves (fitness, fashion, diet, etc) might "need" more external validation than others. OP, I bet you see a lot fewer selfies on THIS site. (;

Some people are simply narcissists, of course, but i think there are many who have simply found an outlet for their anxiety/self-worth issues. Young girls are just trying to find their place in the world.

I think people today are lucky in that they have such amazing memories recorded. I wish I had; but I’m also glad that some of mu memories are lost in the mists if time!

I don't care for Instagram and hate Snapchat. About 95% of my Instagram posts are of my dog, lol. He does get a lot of likes though! Hopefully he doesn't become an attention whore.

LOL!

Why do people feel the need to post so many selfies every day? It seems a lot of people do it so that others can tell them how attractive they are. Talk about low self esteem. My $0.02 anyway.

But this is what Instagram et al are asking us to do. This is how our culture influences us.

When was the last time you saw an advert for wearing no make-up? Never.

I sometimes go out without make-up just to stop myself from slipping into the insanity. It makes me realise how conditioned we all are.

I must have posted at least 100 selfies on Twitter over the last couple of years. I used to do it very often, but lately, maybe every month or so. I did it to boost my self-esteem and confidence, and the trans community is supportive that way.

Prior to my transition, I took exactly one selfie, by accident, on my Mac. I couldn't stand seeing myself in the mirror, either. After a lifetime of self-loathing, it feels awesome to be on the other end, be what may.

CONGRATULATIONS, MollyBell! And best wishes on your new life as the REAL YOU!

@LucyLoohoo Thank you ?

There are all sorts here, of course, but I reslly like it here!

You get an A for observation.

Everyone likes having their ego stroked. None of us are immune from that. Some of use are just a bit more transparent about it than others.

I like to make people laugh, but mostly to have an interactive experience with friends. I do like to get a reaction from certain friends just because I love to mess with them.

I'm a little conflicted giving you the like for this.

For the record every time I've worn make up has been documented on social media.

Thank you for the insight as to why my cousins FB page is made up of pictures entirely of him. Holy moly. Somethin's wrong there.

Soooooooooooo true.

So true! It has spread through our culture like fleas.

Perhaps we all feel lonelier than we like to admit - surely we can't really believe that pictures of our last meal/gym visit/night out or the latest selfie are just exactly what everybody can't wait to see?

I couldn't agree more. I would say most on it are attention seeking. When I post pictures or something like that, I am looking for someone else to comment or like. It's all about sharing and getting others to notice. It's what the platform is used for. There are some that take it to extremes though. Social media has just exacerbated what humans have wanted all along.

Well.... here too, here too.

I think so but I avoid that bit so much partly as I am old and can't really keep up with it all but I have never been interested in my looks/clothes don't wear make up don't style my hair - clean and reaonably tidy is all I need for myself.

Preach it.

Don't have a smart phone so only see it on my laptop.

You are totally right. I don't even know why I'm still on Facebook. Just garbage. This site seems like one of the better ones. My favorite site used to be Experience Project.

That's why I have never had an instagram/twitter/snapchat/facetime account.

Yes, unfortunately my daughter has fallen into this trap

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94631
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.