Agnostic.com
8 16

G'day everyone, I'm new to this site.
It's pretty darned hard at times to grow a lot of things way out here in the semi-arid region of New South Wales, Australia but here are few photos of my plants for you to enjoy as I do.
The first 2 from the left are of my Water Lillies from my Garden Pond, come Frog and Tadpole/ bird Wateringhole, bathing area as well as a kind of drop-in centre for thirst local native reptiles ( not snakes though.Sorry the photos are from 2018 but my camera was out of action when they flowered again last year, the second 2 are of my best ever attempt to grow Coleus from seeds, out of the 15 seeds planted last Spring I managed an excellent result of 8 plants, five, including the 2 shown I've kept for myself, 2 planted in small path side plots, 2 in big pots as you can see, 1 in a pot inside the house and 3 others that I gave away to friends.
Our average Annual Rainfall out here is approx. 10 inches in god years and in bad years about as much as one could expect from a passing flock of incontinent pigeons.

Triphid 9 Apr 17
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Always fun to hear about gardening in other spots on the globe. I love that water lily!

Can you "irrigate"? Is there wells on your property? The soil in the images look fertile...but I could be wrong. More photos, mate!

Robecology Level 9 Apr 17, 2020

I irrigate using water from the town supply and I'd reckon I've put in hundreds of hours turn the little top-soil we have, adding manure, kitchen vegetable scraps, wood shavings, etc, etc, to it.
I use a potting mix in the potted plants though but aslo add a touch of manure every so often.
I can dig down about 8-14 inches before reaching the rocky, clay type soil that is normally found around.

Love the lillies! But Joanna the Goana & Little Miss Spikey are the best!

Heidi68 Level 8 Apr 17, 2020

If you like Joanna & and Spikey then hopefully you'll also like my other very good friend, Lady E, the Wedgetail Eagle.
She was my first rescue when I found her as a very young fledgling almost starving and half dead trying to get a drink from my pond one very hot summers day over 8 years ago now.
I took her in, fed her up, had a Vet check her over but he was pretty sure that she wouldn't recover, surpris, surprise for him.
2 weeks of hand-feeding her with raw minced kangaroo meat, hard boiled eggs and a mix of of mineral water and vitamins she'd gone from approx. 1.2 kilograms in weight to a nice hefty 3.7 kilos, could walk around the yard and was bwgining to flap her wings once again, 6 weeks later she weighed in at very nice 5.2 kilos, could flap enough to actually lift off of the ground and reach about 6-8 feet in the air and could feed herself from a bowl as well as tear chunk of meat from kangaroo bones.
Now she is fully grown, has a wing span over over 6 feet, weighs in at aguess of around 13 kilos, comes back to my house for the occassional free snack, pat and stroking of her head and is living in the wild, as she should, but still lands on my outstretched, bare forearm without even leaving the slightest scratch.
She has also presented me with her mate and their young every breeding season since I first released her back into the wild.

@Triphid ❤❤❤❤ she is spectacular! And her, your, story is wonderful.

@Heidi68 I'm very lucky to have been able to 'sneak' those photos of her, normally if she see a camera she immediatelky flies away.
She met with my nephew Henry for the very first time last year, it was something well worth remembering to see him and her as he hand-fed her and then she calmly sat next to him, head slightly bowed as he stroked her head and patted her neck.
I think that memory will stick with Henry now until the day he dies, the smiles on his face were something else to see.

Nice successful attempt with the coleus.
What a challenge with the rain over there.
Thank you for sharing some of your beauties.

Zoohome Level 8 Apr 17, 2020

Welcome aboard! My brother has similar complaints living in Arizona. He has a beautiful house but the yard is a challenge. But there ARE native plants that will grow readily. What grows wild where you live? Any succulents? Ornamental grasses? Cacti?

We get a few native ground cover plants around here but not many and they are ptotected by Law but one can harvest seeds from thembut mostly there are just native trees like Eucalypts, Mulga, She-oak and other varieties of Acacias, etc.
This winter I plan to sow Sturt Desert Pea seeds that I've collected over the last year or so, they are very hardy and thrive with only the natural water from rainfall, filtrated water can kill them faster than you can say your alphabet almost.
All my gardens and vegie beds are grown only on Chicken manure and either cow or sheep manure when I can it from a friend's Grazing Property.

Love your water lilies . Kind and thoughtful of you to provide water for your nature friends .

Cast1es Level 9 Apr 17, 2020

My gardens were always being ravage by snails until Joanna the Goana ( pictured on the left) visited quite a few years ago now and decided to stay, now Snails Nil and Joanna very well fed and contented though the snail main course is no longer on the menu these days but she does her bit now by raiding the nests of the inported Sparrows at nesting time and catching the adults as well when they roost for the evenings during summer.
My latest 'newcomer' is Little Miss Spikey, a pygmy Echidna, saved last winter when I found her mother curled up in a hollow tree that I was about to cut up for firewood, brought her Mum home and rehoused her in my gardens as well until my kind, wonderful (???) Evangeloon neighbour complained to the Local Wildlife Service claiming I had her caged up.
They took Mrs. Spikey away but neither they nor I realized that she had left her daughter hidden elsewhere in my yard.
Little Misss Spikey now calls my yard her domain and has set about ridding my gardens of ants, thankfully, though she is also very partial to a snack, hand-fed to her of course, of either Mealworms or ant eggs mixed in with fresh, finely minced kangaroo meat.

Wow. that is low rainfall, do you every get water use restrictions that stop you topping up the pond and watering the pots, or are your water companies well organized ?

Fernapple Level 9 Apr 17, 2020

As far as I know weare still on Level One Water Restrictions since the drought has not broken out here as yet.
I cheat a bit with my pond, I have a float valve system in it that is attached to the faucet in the gardens so when the level drops it alowws water to flow in freely, plus, all bar my potted plants are under a drip irrigation system as well.

All are looking good.

glennlab Level 10 Apr 17, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 40

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,507Top