Agnostic.com
5 6

Cotoneaster Any good advice on how to trim that painful bush.?
I grew the bush from a little stick. I was so proud of it really taking to the location at the edge of the lawn, but I never expected it to grow so big and mean. It has the worst spikes in the branches, not in obvious places, like roses, but hidden behind the leaf pairs. It would be fine if I had chosen a spot somewhere on the property when it could be alone. It makes a beautiful display in the Spring with its tiny yellow flowers, its variegated little leaves that turn red in the Fall.
So, how to trim it? Every time I attempt it, I wind up with holes and catches on my arm.
Sorry, no photo, my camera is on the charger.
Right next to it are two roses, a swath of tulips and gladiolas. They were all a decent distance away when I planted them, but new are getting crowded out by the shrub. Your thoughts, please.

Spinliesel 9 June 5
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hire the unwary... 😉

RavenCT Level 9 June 6, 2020

Oh, that is wicked.

@Spinliesel Any real landscaper would know what they were getting into... but I really did mean that tongue in cheek. That's why the wink. I was grinning when I typed it too.

Good landscapers have Leather gauntlets for the rough stuff. My sister's boys did that career path for a while.
One of them does garden design for the 1%ers now. He's seen homes in Boston on rooftops that would blow the mind. (And I've only heard descriptions because he's discrete too).

Pretty much a common mistake that every gardener makes at one time or another. Planting a plant without taking into account its mature size. I've done it myself more times than I care to admit. The best advice is to move either it or the surrounding plants to where they can be happy. There is no easy cure.

I had to do a little research on the proper pruning. Like many plants there are a multitude of varieties, so unless you have the right variety for your spot, it will be a constant battle to rein it in. It has a size it wants to grow to, remove all other plants inside that area. When you trim, go back to the last joint on the branch. Most cotoneasters only require minimal trimming if it takes more than that, it is the wrong plant for that space. So either change the plant or change the space.

glennlab Level 10 June 5, 2020

Yes, I have been a haphazard gardener with a really green thumb, never thinking that things will grow and grow. I think I will remove all the plants around the bush to another spot. I have 3/4 of an acre of green space and should find another good spot. I know there will come a time when `removing the bush with a chain and tractor will be the only method to control it. I think this year I will ask my grandson to pick up the hedge shears and trim the bush on the roadside of the plant. I would hate for the kids on their bikes to get scratched by the thorns as they whizz by. Thanks for your reply.

@Spinliesel Don't feel bad, My ex planted two trees, 6 feet apart, 10 feet from my house. Thankfully one died, or I would have two palm trees with their crowns interlaced, but still providing plenty of noise and trash.. I on the otherhand planted onw vine in the front of my house and another in the far back yard. They have met and cover anything that is standing.

@glennlab Those vines, are they wild grapes?

@Spinliesel passionm vines, two different varieties that I wanted to be able to tell apart when they weren't blooming. I've got grape too.

Might take some cuttings and start another one for a more desirable location and replace this one with something a bit tamer.

Long handled pruning sheers, preferably with the telescopic handles, keeps those thorns at a distance where they can do no harm but be careful picking up the trimmings as those thorns still bite.

Surfpirate Level 9 June 5, 2020

Very carefully 🙂

freeofgod Level 8 June 5, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 35

Photos 5,322 More

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

Posted by 1patriotOne of the main reasons for last year’s ‘spike’, which the media and government agencies have avoided mentioning, is the Hunga Tonga volcano eruption two years ago.

Posted by FrostyJim...sometimes you just can't help it?

Posted by FrostyJimI got my first seed order in the mail yesterday! WOO-HOO!

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #kids #book #cats #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,505Top