Agnostic.com
12 14

Wild gardening is more my style than prim and proper English gardening with everything labeled in neat, weed free rows. Weeding is mainly done with an electric weed trimmer and a bit of hand pulling for the really tough cases. The aliums are starting to get past their prime but the flox, irises and gladiolas have stepped up to provide some colour and the first of the poppies just bloomed this morning.

Surfpirate 9 June 11
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being cooped up, I've had much more time this year to spend time out doors. This has allowed me the chance to really study what actually grows well here. After a huge fail of getting pollinator and caterpiller attractive plants to grow from nursery stock last year, I have taken to digging up volunteer plants from places where they will get choked out or mowed to the "garden" area, comprised of barely worked soil in full sun. So far, these transplants are thriving MUCH better than store bought stock or seed. Time will tell...

Zster Level 8 June 13, 2020

That's relaxing. I like wild gardening with wild fruits and veggies. The mice, insects, snakes and birds also like it. With a little bit of manure from healthy people, the jungle and bush food becomes like paradise. Grasshoppers are on my menu. But I have to be careful with bigots and nasty health regulations.

Guido Level 4 June 12, 2020

Lovely blossom meadows! Turf is a waste of space and resources.

My garden is on the lowest point in our small community and any seed washes down during heavy thunder storms . During hurricanes my garden is flooded with any thing that floats in with the tide . Mulch is my only hope .

Besalbub Level 8 June 11, 2020

A meadow is just an unshorn lawn. I like your style.

OldGoat43 Level 9 June 11, 2020

Oh, I don't know about all English gardens being prim and proper. I think of cottage garden charm as requiring an asymetrical and overgrown look, but anyway, YAY! to wild gardening! 🤗

Found them. Here are a few photos from my only experiement with making wild flower meadow back in 2009. Maybe I was being too fussy in not wanting the native weeds from overlayering the wild flowers I'd seeded? I found this meadow the only thing I had time for in the garden at that time.

MarkWD Level 7 June 11, 2020

Very nice, I never had much success with wild flower gardens but yours looks very nice.

One thing for sure it certainly takes less work. Nature is always trying to go wild (as I have many times experienced).

JackPedigo Level 9 June 11, 2020

It takes less time planting but you nature will always win in the end . It amazes me how fast nature takes over .

My garden is pretty wild, I am never a prim and proper type of person.

I'd be afraid of leveling everything with the weed wacker. I do like the look of a more wild growing garden and yours is very attractive. I also love your irises. Do you know what their named?

RussRAB Level 8 June 11, 2020

Thank you for the compliment on my garden, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it and it is in keeping with our rural property, plus it is a lot easier for me to blast away with the weed trimmer for an hour than try to spend days on my hands and knees with a weed puller. I use a collineal hoe in the vegetable garden and that usually involves a half hour each morning in order to stay ahead of the new weeds, once they get too thick it is hopeless.
I don't recall the name of the irises, I got them at the clearance of the local big box store in December and bought a few hundred bulbs for around 3 cents a piece but I didn't keep the packaging. It was a bit of a crap shoot but I am happy with the results and the deer don't seem to like eating them the way they enjoy foraging through my tulips.

Reminds me of the meadow garden at Great Dixter. I’m also fond of a garden where nature seems to be alive and well if not completely victorious. My one attempt at making a meadow garden was all I did for a couple years. It was very laborious in my Mediterranean garden. I’ve since switched with defined and raised beds with pg pathways since it uses less water and limits the area where I have to keep out weeds.

MarkWD Level 7 June 11, 2020

Lovely, my style of gardening too. You seem though to be weeks ahead of us in this part of the UK, the Phlox are not even in bud yet here.

Fernapple Level 9 June 11, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 34

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top