Agnostic.com
8 12

first of several of our gardens to qualify.
I'd urge others to set aside some space for the critters.

bigpawbullets 9 Sep 7
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lots of critters enjoy my yard. I do wish they'd leave the pumpkins alone though.

you have to SHARE!!!
πŸ¦πŸ¦πŸ¦ŠπŸΊπŸ€πŸ€πŸ°πŸ°πŸΏπŸΏπŸ¦¦πŸ¦¦πŸ¦›πŸ¦πŸ¦πŸ¦–πŸ¦–

Excellent!

Nice! I think those signs are both a gentle reminder for passersby to respect the small patch that might otherwise be thoughtlessly trod upon or trashed, and it is also an aid to pique people's curiosity and encourage the curious to perhaps seek to learn about ecologically responsible gardening.

Butterfly Bushes are hardy, gorgeous, smell Wonderful & actually draw butterflies all season....I have seen 40 or more at once on one bush! Plant a few! You can get small, med, & huge kinds. I also have bluberries, raspberries, and hope to add milkweed soon,

You're a lady after my own heart Anne. We've a large milkweed patch in our backyard and have Monarchs annually. We've an "almost out of control" blackberry patch we share with the critters. Our butterfly bushes all died. Old age maybe. Im going to replant at the end of season as we re-do our backyard habitat garden.

@bigpawbullets around here we have to severly cut them back before winter... they are not a long-lived plant, but so worth it! Mine is on the north-western corner of my house, a damned tough spot, and the scent comes in through the windows!

I was heartbroken when they were taken off the market here in 2008, but there is now hope!

"The mission was to find Buddleia that are seedless, since the Butterfly Bush that we had all fallen in love with reproduces at an incredible rate & bullies its way into waterways, street-sides & pastures.

Several varieties of Seedless Butterfly Bush are the result of this research, with each year bringing more great selections. The Oregon Department of Agriculture has approved all available varieties, with one caveat: We can't call it Butterfly Bush any more. In their view, Butterfly Bush is synonymous with the seedy type (B. davidii). So when you're shopping for the new seedless forms, look for plants with the common names Summer Lilac, Nectar Bush or Seedless Butterfly Bush."

My whole back yard is set aside for the critters. And it's not winning any awards.

Thats not an award. Simply an acknowledgment that it is "habitat". Sounds like your backyard would easily qualify.

Very cool

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 7, 2020

Thanks bob.

I had one of those when I lived in the country. Before they were actually a thing. Even had a spot for Joe Pye weed πŸ™‚

freeofgod Level 8 Sep 7, 2020

The Pye Weed is now blooming. There are as many bees on it as on our sedum.

@bigpawbullets Joe Pye is the best monarch habitat.

Critters?

Critters:
First... that mailbox garden is roughly 7x7 feet. Not very big. Second.... surrounded on three sides by concrete. Third..... lots of foot traffic, joggers, dog walkers.... and a few cars.
But in that small area we've seen all types of pollinators, gold finches, humming birds, and wrens.
There's a garter snake and some garden toads living there.... plus chipmunks. And numerous butterflies.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 29

Photos 5,329 More

Posted by FernappleThe little woodland garden, is a symphony of blue, purple and white now. Hyacinth, Honesty, and Ornithogalum.

Posted by KateOahuThis morning I went to a class for making a terrarium with native plants at the Waikiki Community Center, which is about three blocks from where I live.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,512Top