Agnostic.com
5 9

2 of the worst banes to any Aussie Gardener in the Aussie Outback, the 3 Cornered Jack prickles/thorns and Couch Grass.
A couple of mls of rain, a bit of warmer weather and they come up everywhere and almost anywhere as well.
3 Cornered Jacks can spread seeds almost by the ton, they can penetrate any shoe or boot and sting worse than a bee.
Couch grass, once it takes a hold is harder to get rid of than either an Uninvited Guest/squatter or your worst In-laws. It invades anything and everything, spreads everywhere across the surface as well as having deeply buried runners and produces seed as well.
Just spent an hour + spraying these 2 pests with my mix of herbicide, water and Dish washing liquid, an nice sunny day and now I'm hoping that within a week they'll starting to die off.

Triphid 9 Feb 22
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Looks like sand spers we have in eastern N Carolina .

Besalbub Level 8 Feb 23, 2021

Exactly what I thought

North Texas has a couple similar plants. I had a bicycle when we first moved here but I could never keep the tires inflated after a ride. Patching holes from thorns from something that looked very similar to your 3 cornered jacks made the bicycle more of a chore than fun.
Johnson grass is a nightmare to have to deal with. It's a tall fast growing grass that gets its start from seed and then propagates by thick stolens that can grow at deep as a foot underground. I dug out some that were as thick as my thumb. I finally resorted to Round Up and endured dead patches in the yard until the chemical dissipated enough for the lawn grasses to fill in.

RussRAB Level 8 Feb 23, 2021

We also get something kind of similar but smaller, it's called 'Love Grass' because of its seed heads having little hooks that stick to anything that brushes against it. then those little seed capsules use the 'hooks' to actually 'worm' their way in to clothing, skin, animal fur, etc, etc, causing horrible and often weeping sores, etc.
IF they get into the ears or eyes of animals they can and do often causes deafness and blindness if left unattended to.

Oh, bad memories. These are the pricker grass from the Sonoran desert in Arizona. The thorns stuck in your skin and caused terrible infections. One o the main reasons I hated Arizona.

Spinliesel Level 9 Feb 22, 2021

The 3 cornered Jacks look wicked! 😳

In a good season they can grow to around 1.5 - 2 metres across, the plants themselves that is, with stems/runners going in every possible direction and always flat against the ground and almost nothing will eat the plants or the seed pods.

@Triphid sounds like the plant from hell!!😳

There is a similar thorn in the American Southwest, we called them goat's heads.

Buttercup Level 8 Feb 22, 2021
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 26

Photos 5,322 More

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

Posted by 1patriotOne of the main reasons for last year’s ‘spike’, which the media and government agencies have avoided mentioning, is the Hunga Tonga volcano eruption two years ago.

Posted by FrostyJim...sometimes you just can't help it?

Posted by FrostyJimI got my first seed order in the mail yesterday! WOO-HOO!

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #kids #book #cats #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,505Top