Agnostic.com
7 0

I live in a very hard clay soil area and routinely time my ground work around softening rains. My friend is brow beating me for wanting to prep new beds and possibly plant today (after yesterday’s rain), citing the Farmer’s Almanac and position of the stars. Do many go by such things?

Zster 8 Apr 11
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to aim for almanac guidelines. But I am more tuned in to your issue of how to handle heavy clay. Drainage is key. I subscribe to the school of growing above the clay, a la "no dig" gardening methods.

Two benefits. Your back will thank you, and you prevent the "soup bowl" effect that traps water and potentially drowns plants' roots. You can make formal raised beds, but more easily you can just layer amendments on top of the soil. Numerous no-dig videos exist on you tube.

Not since it was all my Grandparents had.....

AnneWimsey Level 9 Apr 11, 2021

Years ago I heard of the ancient farming adage "New moon supports beginnings/plantings, full moon supports endings/harvesting." It makes sense to me that throughout time, humans paid attention to the results of how they timed their gardening and results.

To deal with hard clay soils, I would recommend one or both of two things: (1) till in diatomaceous earth (gypsum). and /or (2) till in a significant amount of cottonseed hull mulch. After that, just keep mixing in added organic matter.

wordywalt Level 9 Apr 11, 2021

Weather will vary little year to year on average according to the lunar calendar, so most people that pay attention to weather cycles will look at the point you are in the lunar cycle to try and predict whether you are too early to plant or not. Again this is only the average and doesn't predict any single planting season. I also look at the long term weather forecast and whether my back hurts or not.

glennlab Level 10 Apr 11, 2021

There is a whole village next to ours where the farmers plant and harvest by the phase of the moon, especially beans. It is some German historical method.

Spinliesel Level 9 Apr 11, 2021

May I suggest adding a few 50 quart bags of Mirical Grow potting soil to your clay , before you plant anything ?

Cast1es Level 9 Apr 11, 2021

Sure, any pointers are welcome! I do work in a couple types of organic loaded soils and miracle gro. It’s how I get anything to come up! Do you know which products might work best with herbs? I would love better basil and tarragon yields. (:

@K9Kohle789 My bestie has horses and mixes in manure for her garden. Her plants are huge!

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 26

Photos 5,325 More

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

Posted by KilltheskyfairyI love all the information on the internet that makes me a better gardener…

Posted by Jaylo64Primative hydroponic system /an old shoe rack and coffee cans ! Cans above drip into the cans below !

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,506Top