Agnostic.com
3 9

My next attempt for my gardens, a Sturt's Desert Rose.
It is a native bush that grows to approx. 8-10 feet in height, like its counterpart it is a Desert plant that hates being over-watered, is as tough as old boot leather, once it has grown, to kill but sadly is disappearing.
It exudes from its leaves and stems a nicotine like substance that is toxic to pests like caterpillars, snails, etc, aphids and the like.
The wood from the bush/tree has a very distinct perfume when still green, something similar to a cross between Sandalwood, Lilac and Frankincense.
Genetically it is a long-lost and very distant relative of the Cotton plant and Scientist at the C.S.I.R.O in Australia have trying to cross-breed it with the Cotton plants to create a better and less water demanding/dependent version of the Cotton plant.
Which would make an ideal pant crop for growing in the drier climates around the world.

Triphid 9 Apr 27
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The flower looks kind of like a Hibiscus, although the leaves certainly don't. Beautiful flower.

RussRAB Level 8 Apr 27, 2021

Yes, definitely a very nice flower and it has very sweet perfume as well.
I grew one by sheer accident back in the 80's in the gardens of a house I once had before my divorce.
I say it was an 'accident' because it literally sprouted up from a load of sheep manure I had collected from a friend's Sheep Property.
LOL, it either grew to get away from the smell of the Sheep manure or it liked the supply of nutrients because within the space of 2 years it had grown to full height and was covered in flowers.

Fingers crossed that it thrives!

Beautiful!

Recent Visitors 24

Photos 5,327 More

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by FrostyJimI usually drink coffee while planting seeds?

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,508Top