Agnostic.com
11 7

Dirt! I think I have purchaed more dirt this year than ever before. Between buying soil amendments for trees and shrubs I've planted, potting soil for numerous large pots, and mulch to cover the above and other established plantings, I probably have spent hundreds this summer just on dirt. Oh, and then there are some additional house plants that needed dirt to be repotted. My clay soil is terrible to get anything to grow in, especially when the summer heat bakes it as hard as a brick.

RussRAB 8 Oct 24
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In North Texas, the best soil amendments are compost, followed by a mixture of landscaping pine bark mulch mixex 3/2 with peat moss, if you can't find the landscaping pine bark mulch (no pieces bigger than a nickel) hardwood mulch will work. don't use thee cypress mulch or the colored mulches, cypress takes years and years to break down, and the colored ones are chemically treated.

glennlab Level 10 Oct 25, 2021

I understand completely, as I lived in South West Texas, and the soil is the same, nothing but clay when you dig down more than 6 inches. Living in Northern California now, and the soil is so much better here, and now that the rain has started everything is getting a nice drink!!

I am fortunate to live where the dirt is really good. I do compost and have a worm box, I add the contents of those to the garden every summer.

Get to know your local farmers, chicken sheds, horse racing institutions & in return for shovelling shit you can usually get an awesome amount of raw material to breakdown into very fertile soil.

FrayedBear Level 9 Oct 25, 2021

Yes, good dirt is expensive. But worth it.

KateOahu Level 8 Oct 25, 2021

Around here, All the public gardens, the tiny zoo, and the Municipal building all have "secret" piles of wood chips & etc, composting beautifully, and Free except for the work of digging out the good stuff from underneath.

AnneWimsey Level 9 Oct 24, 2021

When I was growing, yeah, the soil costs mounted pretty fast. Keeping the caterpillars away took a lot of BT spraying. Then the spiders started spreading Botrytis. I couldn't keep up...

racocn8 Level 9 Oct 24, 2021

You can loosen up your soil by adding one or both of two things: (1) gypsum, also known as diatomacous earth, and/or (2) cottonseed hull mulch.

wordywalt Level 9 Oct 24, 2021

In Oklahoma if you use cottonseed house you got to sit out boweevil traps.

Finally someone who appreciates the value of dirt. After all dirt is more important than people!

JackPedigo Level 9 Oct 24, 2021

I buy it by the pickup truck load....

I've seen some like that, perhaps on YouTube? I'm not quite ready to go all in like that just yet.

It's a never ending battle, but one we have to fight if we're going to have happy plants.

glennlab Level 10 Oct 24, 2021

Indeed!

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 24

Photos 5,329 More

Posted by FernappleThe little woodland garden, is a symphony of blue, purple and white now. Hyacinth, Honesty, and Ornithogalum.

Posted by KateOahuThis morning I went to a class for making a terrarium with native plants at the Waikiki Community Center, which is about three blocks from where I live.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by FrostyJimToo cold to plant outside for another month here in Wasilla Alaska.

Posted by JolantaUnusual fungi.

Posted by FernappleI am trying to grow some extra salad crops this year in the new greenhouse.

Posted by JolantaBugg life.

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by glennlab My first flowers of this spring. Lotus and blue bells

Posted by FrostyJimSeedlings ..

Posted by FernappleIts Hellebore season now.

Posted by FrostyJim...don't be silly!

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

Posted by KateOahuI saw some pretty flowers on a walk today. I’d never seen a white Hibiscus before. And I do not know what the pink flowers are.

• Top tags#flowers #video #gardening #hope #god #religion #rain #friends #religious #world #reason #weed #weather #cats #kids #book #money #community #church #birds #dogs #Atheist #hell #mother #wife #children #death #Bible #Australia #florida #animals #Texas #Christian #hello #relationship #climate #Organic #agnostic #evidence #advice #parents #humans #coffee #species #belief #sex #atheism #truth #Jesus #apple ...

Members 1,512Top