Agnostic.com

15 3

Anti-vaccine is a religion

The anti-vaccine believers display all the characteristics of fanatic religious people?

• 20 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 2 votes
rsabbatini 7 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I define as a faith-based belief system, so yes, it's a .

They edited out the word "religion" from my post. It should read "I define religion as a faith-based belief system, so yes, it's a religion".

Crazy bunch of people. Reminds me of the flat earth gang. 🙂

Ryksie Level 6 June 14, 2018

I define the religion as a set of beliefs supported by faith (belief without evidence) anti-vaccer's appear to meet that rubric.

I thought this was a place for skepticism and research? I am always astounded when I see intelligent people being absolutist. (The vaxxers way more than the antivaxxers)! There are intelligent reasonable knowledgeable people who do impeccable research into vaccines and have found problems. There are documented cases of damage to people. And doesnt it just seem a little bit weird to you that the numbers of vaccines required keep being increased so frequently? Why?
We question religion. We should question EVERYTHING!!!

We are constantly striving to eradicate disease and we are fortunate that over the years, we have continued developing new and effective vaccines. The number of vaccines we administer has absolutely no bearing on whether any or all are necessary or beneficial.

Yeah, maybe I should have voted "other." Most of the anti-vaxxers probably wear tinfoil hats but there have been problems with vaccines too. The thing is, the diseases themselves would kill or harm many more people than the vaccines to prevent the diseases do. Of course that's no consolation if it's your child that suffers permanent damage.

People should be skeptical of medication, especially medication developed specifically to generate profit. But antivaxxers are not skeptical, they're delusional. Skeptical is reading the info provided by real scientists rather than taking ads at face value. Delusional is trusting someone named Avocado over your doctor.

Vaccines are safe and save lives. Period. There is no reason to fear vaccines. The anti-vaxxers are cult-like. There is no evidence for their beliefs and all the evidence about vaccines entirely contradicts their beliefs but yet they persist. Very much like a religion.

Anyone who says "period" in such an absolutist fashion is just as extremist as the population he is demonizing.

I just got here, but i certainly expected a higher level of discussion. This is middle school, absolutist mud slinging. Where is the application of reason and skepticism? I feel like I am hearing from people on a pharm payroll. There is great room for questioning vaccinations, prescription medicines, unnecessary surgeries.....the list is endless.

@Humanist5 Wrong. The evidence is not in doubt by any serious person on vaccines. they work, they are safe, there is no reason whatsoever to doubt their effectiveness. The anti-vaxxers are dangerous, they do not care about the lives of children and others they are endangering by their lies. They are no different than faith healers and those who believe in homeopathy and naturopathy.

I don't think it is a religion but people believe in it religiously. It's like chemtrails and flat earth theories. I think people that believe in these things are also the same people that demonize science.

Wow. At the risk of being burnt at the stake, I am going to make the bold announcement that I am both for and against vaccinations. I would like to see sensible, limited vaccinations. My beliefs are not a religion, I am not bizarre, I am not fanatical about it and I don't wish to die just because I believe as I do. How sad one member wants people to die because they question the validity of our current system of vaccination. Some of the comments here bear a striking resemblance to religious piety.

Why do you question it’s validity?

@FreethoughtKaty Why would I not?

@FreethoughtKaty, @Deiter I agree. As I stated in my comment, I am for limited vaccination. I think it has a place.

@patchoullijulie unless you have an allergy problem or some other medical condition that makes vaccination unwise, there is no reason whatsoever for a 'limited' vaccination schedule. No valid medical reason at all.

@patchoullijulie because there’s no good reason to. That’s like asking “why would I not believe in a god?”.

@eric788 I disagree

@FreethoughtKaty No it is not the same. There are many people who think that there are good reasons to question the validity of total vaccination. They cannot all be dismissed as quacks and fanatic's, although fanatics do exist, they are on both sides of the argument. Why is it that a person is not allowed to at the very least question the validity of vaccinations without being labelled as a quack/fanatic?

@patchoullijulie I wouldn’t call anyone a quack for questioning vaccines, but
I would say they are irrational. There is a reason you’ve never known anyone who came down with smallpox. And polio is almost globally eradicated due to vaccines. We get the typhoid fever vaccine every two years so that if we ever contract it, our symptoms will be much less severe. We know this stuff.

@FreethoughtKaty I am not irrational. I have said I am for limited vaccination.

@patchoullijulie The evidence is in and is incontrovertible. So which easily preventable diseases do you suppose children should die from with your limited vaccination schedule? Because that is what you are advocating with your 'reasonableness'.

You get this kind of hysterical nonsense out of just about every conspiracy theory. I have no idea what causes otherwise normal people to believe such ludicrous things...

I am embarrassed to say, just let them die in that case

If it were just them, I’d happily agree. Unfortunately the primary victims tend to be their children who get sick with easily preventable diseases.

@Katrik And people with compromised immune systems who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons.

No vote since I consider polls kind of gay but since gay is mentioned.... you gonna need to examine the Testicles of this anti-vaccine Dude, no magnifying glass needed, I am just Calling You Out for using Labels. I am sure you will die before me and I will be willing to dance in your grave. Vaccines are like christian religion.... you need to get baptized to go into heaven. And about "bizarre behavior" you are the only one handling literature and in the bullhorn as a religious zealot. And figures... you are a "transplanted" by your origins so you need all brown skin in brazil to be vaccinated for you to feel safe. Figures!

I think if you say anti vaccers are a religion you would have to say anti-evolutionist are a religion, but I think it's just a symptom of religion. People susceptible to religious views are also susceptible to conspiracy theories. That can be said of agnostic and atheist people as well because I've run into a few of those in my day. People claiming to be rational insists that they've encountered ghosts, UFO/aliens, flat-earth believers and even a few anti-vaccers who were athiests.

I say vaccine is a religion, science is a religion. And sooner or later science will be the cause of your death.

@GipsyOfNewSpain neither of those qualify as religions. Neither promote faith, nor deities, nor worship, neither make claims of a supernatural nature, neither promise an afterlife, neither has places of worship, or priests or sacred texts.

Science can’t cause anyone’s death as it is merely the methodology by which we pursue knowledege and construct predictive models of the universe.
All conclusions that scientists reach are believed not on faith, but because the evidence supports those conclusions. Even then those beliefs are only held tentatively, and will be revised upon the discovery of new challenging evidence.

Vaccines are used because numerous clinical trials have conclusively demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that they work. Doctors recommended you get them, not because of faith, but because they have been shown to prevent disease.

@Katrik I gonna give you the benefit of the doubt to ignore you... but that kind of naivety got trump elected by people like you.

@GipsyOfNewSpain In other words, you have no argument, but also lack the humility to admit when you were wrong

@GipsyOfNewSpain I'm not going after you in a hostile way nor am I here to fight you. I'm here to have a conversation. You say science is a religion. Please define religion and then show me how science fits into that definition of religion. If I use the most common definition of religion which is: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. I can not see how you fit science into that, but maybe you have a different meaning for religion. The last thing I'll say, and I say it with respect, I think you're throwing out the words, "science is a religion " as a means of adding conflict, and you don't actually see it as a religion. I believe you see it as a dangerous uncontrolled ideology that has the potential for great harm. I wouldn't agree with that either, but it would at least be a position you could defend. When you call science a religion, you're trapping yourself from the start. @Katrik was clear and supported his point and he was not hostile toward you, but your response was hostile and empty of facts to defend your statement. Whenever you get to that point it's important to ask yourself, Am I wrong?

@GipsyOfNewSpain The scientific method requires testable evidence with no accommodations for faith. Religious depend of faith (belief without evidence) often with no recognition for the need for testable evidence. How do you consider sceince a faith based religion? If you wish to answer with "I never said faith. . . " How do you define religion? and Furthermore, Katrik was dead on. Your "that kind of naivety got trump elected by people like you." reflects negatively on you as it is completely unfounded.

It's almost idiotic and just more insanity. My take on vaccine is really pretty plain. As a child I knew people who had polio and I saw what it did to their arms and legs. I don't see polio any longer. I also do not see other major diseases that they vaccinate for around today. The reason I do not see these things is because vaccination works. I'm able to see these results because I just turned 72. I was a witness to what I write. There is no way in hell I would think that vaccination causes autism. Somebody is making money off these ideas and they do not care about you or your children.

Well said

Indeed the lengths that such folks go to try to 'prove' their nonsense is epic. I saw one the other day that said that Australia is a myth and that anyone we've even seen who claimed to be an Australian was a paid actors. A similar claim was made by one of the Boston Marathon bombers that the attack on 9/11 was a fake and all the 'victims' were actors paid by the US government. I thought it was to find work as an actor.

I know an anti vacciner & I feel she has put her 2 sons in peril. She moved from California as the state now requires vaccination for school. She moved to Arizona where it is not required. Herd immunity has its merits but with our FDA being so strict, I think I prefer every vaccine on the market. She went with the whole autism panic & the mercury infusion. I do not speak to her about it as she is highly defensive of her position.

She's not just putting her sons in peril. There has been a measles outbreak in St. Paul MN that has affected people who were immunocompromised -- other than just children. People on chemo or transplant patients or even the elderly can die of diseases that vaccines had controlled..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100576
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.