Agnostic.com

37 6

Do u think it's possible to recover from a neglected childhood????

Hello. I know this isn't about religion or philosophy but id rather hear experiences or opinions on the subject . Without giveing to much detail or making this to long of a post in a new York minute I'll briefly explain the question . I grew up parentless. One parent was abusive. I start therapy soon takeing a anti depressant and also good news is I'm able to talk to my mother about what exactly happened and why she wasn't there . I know it'll never fully go away the memories however I hop with help I can get to a point where it's more tolerable . Thanks

DavidDeLa89 6 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Recover? No. The damage done is permanent. It is a part of our identity now (emotional scars) but we can learn to live with it and use the knowledge of the experience to help others. The best advice I ever received was that I needed to stop trying to fix myself and learn to live it.
Our growth as humans is not much different than that of animals or even plants. If our needs are not met CONSISTENTLY while we grow then it will cause deformities but the fact that we are here talking about it is the first step in the right direction.
My advice for what it is worth is to remember you are strong or you would not have survived it. Allow the memories instead of pushing them away and tell them exactly what you think. I grew up in the system and was abused by a multitude of people including teachers and "professionals" but I know it was wrong so whenever I do have a flashback I tell them off and it helps me. I hope it helps you too.

It is possible to recover from a sad and hurtful childhood! Not only recover, but flourish! However, you cannot rid yourself of all your hurt and lonely memories! But, you learn to manage them and you can use your knowledge that is gained, having lived in this environment to understand yourself and others. Sometimes it will be hard...but treating a medical condition can be harder at times! Best of luck, as you build the life that suits you...

Thank u so much

Neglect and abuse have a lifetime affect, but a person can feel OK in spite of abuse or neglect.

I was physically and mentally abused as a child. I left home when i was 15, and I am totally recovered and doing well...

How did you recover from your torturous past?

@dld73 at first a lot of drugs... Then I found the most wonderful human being in the universe, @jbeberstein... we have a wonderful life with our extended family. My past made me what I am today... I have raised my kids the total opposite of the way I was raised. I have awesome kids and an awesome wife, that’s how I recovered...

Yes it is possible. What I know, in my life, is that I can't change my past, but I do have the power to shape my future. Also, while I will use my past to determine why I do what I do now, I do my best to learn from it, and don't let it dictate my current actions. My past won't define me.

No, I don't think so , but everyone and every experience is unique and different. From what I've seen it leaves emotional damage and scars that you can carry forever. Hopefully, those who have had to suffer can learn to cope, trust that not everyone is out to hurt you, and keep moving forward. ♥

No. Neglect & abuse actually cause small changes in the structure of the brain. I've found that I feel better just accepting my weird self & arranging my life to deal with it.

Carin Level 8 June 6, 2018

To me, that's recovery, Carin. Embracing the you as you are.

@crazycurlz I like that perspective! Thanks!

@crazycurlz, @LetzGetReal Indeed it can! But I read an article last year or so that the part of the brain that deals with hearing is actually smaller in kids who have suffered verbal abuse specifically. & wow I never thought of this but I was diagnosed with Central Auditory Processing Disorder a few years ago & my mom's forte was verbal abuse...isn't it great to be able to talk about these things here? So helpful! Have a lovely day!

I grew up in what I'd call a mildly abusive environment with a very fearful parent. I guess the way I would put it is I feel that you can heal yourself from a bad beginning. Sort of like when you cut yourself, there's still some scars, but you can heal.

I sort of feel like I have some weak points that will always be with me, but I can find ways to cope with them.

But I think it's really great that you're going to be seeing a therapist. I did a long time ago, and I think it she really helped me pull my head out of the storm. It's the single best thing I ever did for myself. A good therapist can make a huge difference.

I think a good therapist will help you identify the strengths you have the brought you through your trials and reframe some things as you learn to understand them as an adult. A lot of things never leave us they make us what we are, which may not be a bad thing. :As you grow you will learn to be mindful of automatic reactions to painful past experiences and probably manage them better

YES! I am 53 and its been a process. My life is happy and I am content. I am learning to let go of that fear that the other shoe will drop. Exercise daily, choose healthy foods, learn to get good sleep. By regulating the things you can control, your body and mind will begin to heal. As far as your experiences, take control of your thoughts. This is a process and not an overnight phenomena. Start today to create a narrative you can live with. When my son was 12 his father died suddenly. We were bereft. He couldn't really talk about things, it took years for his anguish to find words. But he did write a story almost immediately about a young man, a warrior, whose father died when he was young and he went on to become a leader in his community.
Don't let your past dictate your future, David. Don't give away your power to others. Write your own narrative and keep us posted on your journey. Hugs

Thank u so much . Its time to look to the future ?

Not entirely, no.

I believe so, but it takes a lot of work. I'm working on healing from abuse and neglect myself. It's hard, but I've made a lot of progress, so much more to be done but overall I'm optimistic.

There u go . Keep on keeping on . U r not alone . I've realized that I am not as alone as I thought many have been there . Let's get the help we need. Nothing to be ashamed of learn from our past and let it not dictate our future

It is possible - even without the anti depressants - which can mess you up more than the abandonment issues. After my father, best man, grand aunt and brother died within a 6-month time frame I was prescribed anti depressants and weaned myself off because they made me more anxious than facing the issues. As a former foster child I understand the abandonment issues - just be patient - keep in mind that it typically takes 18-years to get over the first 18-years.

Best of luck to u and thank u sir

You can learn to love yourself. An inner child class helped me deal with physical and emotional abuse by my parents.

I will tell you a story of my philosophy teacher, Mr. Scott. Scott’s estranged father was abusive and the reason he chose the discipline of philosophy. It was a way to gain control of his mind. So one day he’s watching his child playing with a friend in the backyard and he notices behavior reminiscent of dad. ‘How would he have learned that?’ Mr Scott asked before the facepalm came.
We are products of those who raised us but adulthood is our chance to realize who we are and be something better. It takes determination but it happens all the time. Ghosts will still show up, though, and we must have compassion for ourselves.

Depends on you and how long you want to hold on to it.
One could learn alot from Elsa and "Let it Go."

Yes, It is, depending on how you define "recovery". The damage never goes away, it's all in how you deal with it.

Yes, I think it's possible, if you really want to do it. Know when to seek help. Nobody would expect you to conquer giant demons alone.

Deb57 Level 8 June 6, 2018

Yes it is possible! Some need more help then others but a large majority can helped

It is genuinely hard. Recovering from a lack of bonding with ones' mother is a huge detriment. It leads to a lack of trust that dramatically affects you for life. But the first step is to understand it happened and to recognize its' effect upon you. Then you may go about recovery. I have seen it. I have done it.

I think it's possible to get past your experiences. You will never lose the memories, but the pain attached to them will fade. It helps to have positive relationships with the people around you and therapy could really do you good. If being with your mother helps you, great. If it hurts more, you really have no obligation to her anyway, seeing as she basically abandoned you. It's understandable, though unfortunate, if you can't forgive her. I wish you the best in your recovery.

I also grew up parentless and idk if complete recovery is possible but what helped me to get over it was to always remind myself that i shouldn't miss what i never really had and that anything can happen in life. I chose not to seek my bios. After all, they abandoned me. As human beings, sometimes our personal struggles and journeys supercede anything and everything else. My parents chose their addictions over me. My several parental guardians were quite cruel and religious fanatics so sometimes i do get angry at the thought of maybe having had the chance at a better life w parents but it is what it is and i refuse to stress what I can't control. I wish u all the best and u will feel better over time if u allow urself to forgive them and heal. Peace and love!

Sorry bro I hesr u on that tho man it's tuff .. I'm in the same boat as u . Glad yer makeing the best outta yer life tho

CBD oil is said to be more effective, and much safer than toxic drugs. It calms the mind, makes people feel peaceful and happy.

CBD Can Treat Depression and Help People avoid dangerous antidepressants [solcbd.com]

Also, I've dealt with traumatic memories by using the NLP techniques used by the US military to cure ptsd, taking the time to relax, and meditate, while re-imagining my life the way it should have been, with loving, caring parents, etc.

It takes some time but afterward I'm left with emotions that match the imaginary memories, even though I know intellectually what happened.

Studies also show that both magic mushrooms and ayahuasca can reset the mind of depressed people, or those with ptsd.

BBC News - Magic mushrooms can 'reset' depressed brain [bbc.com]

You are an adult now. Put the past behind you and go after what you want in life. Famous orphans include Nelson Mandela, Benito Juarez, and Herbert Hoover.

What an important question! I've thought long and hard about this question; so much so that I'm contemplating writing a book about it. Just from what I've seen and experienced, and what I've had confided to me by others, I'd have to say that I don't believe it's possible if the abuse, neglect, manipulation or whatever, exceeded a certain level. If the perpetrators of the problem were successful in stripping away the bulk of your support system and/or your self belief enough; then you reach a critical mass that's nearly impossible to overcome. If the attacks were pernicious enough they cause ripple effects out into society that are deep enough to come back on the victim in a kind of self-reinforcing loop. It takes decades of learning and growth to begin to overcome evilness that was inflicted on a person in childhood, especially if the antagonists are still alive and have contact with the victim. This often occurs when the perpetrators are close relatives such as parents. It literally rewires the brain if a person is young enough.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100621
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.