Agnostic.com

127 19

Could you stay isolated for five days in total isolation as an asocial experiment?

This includes no contact interaction with the outside world what’s so ever. No computers, no phones.

EmeraldJewel 7 June 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

127 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Aside from speaking a few sentences to my coworkers and people that sell me food, and the phone time here or in a game I’ve probably spent a year in isolation at a time, several times. So yeah not much difference I’m sure I could go a couple months before really losin my marbles. I do already if you excused the necessary words to eat and phone.

I'm a highly social person but I love my alone time just as much - a week would be a breeze. Good reading material would make it more fun and a well equipped carpentry shop would be a bonus or just a nice garden to sort out.

Do I have books? A computer? A TV? Food and wine? Yes. One of my favorite times, was after a major hurricane and we had no electricity for two weeks. We didn't go out because of all the trees down and traffic lights not working. I loved it. Had candles food and books. Luckily I had water. The only think I missed: COFFEE.

Haha, I've lived in Florida all my life, so I've had similar experiences. In 2004 we had a total of six weeks without power!! I think the thing I missed most was the air conditioning =p

I spent 2 months this last winter in the mountains of Utah at 9,000 ft. I did have my dog with me 🙂. Does that count?

Maybe, but doubt it !

Nothing to it. What's the pay?

i sure could do this with ease, i sure can't understand why this would see like a problem. I doubt i will ever get to do it, and i guess without access to anyone, how would anyone know ?

I could do it, but how much is the pay? 😛

Would my work allow it? No. Could I do it? Happily and easily.

Absolutely. The peace sounds blissful.

The 'rules' are not explained well enough. Could there be books, for example? Would creature comforts; water, foods, addictive coffees/teas be provided?
Would one be isolated in a room, or a cabin in a distant woods, or perhaps an island?
For me, with foodstuffs, access to outdoors, the temperature reasonable, by whatever method, and an assortment of books, my tenure there might run quite a bit longer than a week.

No problem

Marz Level 7 June 7, 2018

Pretty sure I could. Survived a 10-day silent Vipassana meditation workshop. No talking, books, writing, phone, TV, meat (non-issue), smoking (ditto), booze, sex, etc. Ten days of nothing but learning the meditation technique on a fixed schedule, interrupted by mundane activities (i.e., eating, bathing, sleeping).

@Faithless1 Yes. For someone with an overactive mind, it's good to know how to focus, be mindful, and/or minimize--if not silence--the seemingly endless mental chatter. I honestly believe that the world would be a better place if everyone would learn how to meditate.

Sound like a typical week for me. 😉

time to fall asleep for 5 days

Handle checks out.

Just like real life?

Actually I might even relish it- Get some serious writing done, even though it would have to be longhand!

Oh yes please! Five days to myself to chill out and put my thoughts in order sounds fab. Do I get a view to look at though?

Sure.

Gladly

@EmeraldJewel I can definitely do it for a long period of time. The time I spend disconnected allows me to evaluate my life and just be if that’s all I want. I enjoy (limited time) being around people and technology, but not enough to constantly want it. #disconnect

A typical work week.

Haha, I was a process camerman/ darkroom printer for a while. My workday was alone in a pitch black closet.

Give me,books,a bottle of Jack and a log cabin, and I would be there,for 5 weeks,not 5 days.

I have done so a number of times and it is not a big thing to do. Snipers have done so a number of times in the service.

Easy peasy...I could do it for 5 months if I had to...and be just fine

Xena Level 6 June 7, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:100661
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.