Agnostic.com

53 9

When a non-believer dies, what can one say instead of "Rest in Peace"?

This has been a bad couple of years losing friends, relatives and personal heroes like Bowie, Prince and now Bourdain. I'm bothered by religious wishes and prayers throw around after a known atheist dies. A work friend passed quite suddenly as an example. and everyone said "oh he's in a better place" and "our prayers are with his family" knowing this man was proudly gay and a sarconic contrarian atheist. The family gave him a religious church funeral against his wishes. I know these words and actions are for the comfort of the living, and I had to bite my tongue and suppress anger at the seeming cluelessness and utter lack of respect. So the question is: What do you say? I like the alternative "Rest in Power", but even that implies an afterlife to "rest" in.

Perspicalidocious 4 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What's wrong with "Rest in peace"?

When they are dead, what dies it matter? When they are dying, if they want to listen, there is much we can share.

StJohn Level 6 June 13, 2018

Rest in peace & Dust to dust both feel like they could go either way, atheist or religious.

"All things considered I'd rather be in Philadelphia'

S/he came and went!

Let's face it all the words, strings of words, phrases, sentences or entire eulogies are just there to console the living left behind. One of my favourite family members who was born in 1900 and became a declared atheist after his return from a prolonged WWI said at my mother's funeral: "Sad event. Let's have a few drinks and tell a few jokes. It might be the last time we see each other!" He was dead the next day: Fatal accident on the return journey from the the funeral.

Rest in peace seems fine to me

Something like "Back to stardust because he shone brightly in life" or "From starsdust we came to stardust we go".

Rest in Bliss

I was born in a very orthodox christian family, when i grew up i got completely detached from it and grew up with no religion. Ever since i am happy.

This is always a tough one.

Honestly, because funerals are more about the living saying a last goodbye to someone no longer with us regardless of beliefs, I don't bother analyzing it. I block out what others say and just say good bye and I'll miss you and leave it at that. Lashing out at others because I don't agree in a time like that is a sure fire way to alienate myself and cause even more pain to others in a very painful and difficult time. That's the last thing anyone needs.

AmyLF Level 7 June 22, 2018

@AmyLF nailed it - I couldn't have written a better response.

Whenmy wife died gave here a christion funeral same later when my sun died it was appropriate
For my wife but not my son who was a atheist but kept it to himself to not hurt me learned this
From his girlfriend after his death I feel so ashamed because I to was a skeptic but stayed
In the closet.we could have been moral support for each other if we had spoken about it

Thoughts and Prayers:

Why does "rest in peace" only apply to the religious?

"I'm here for you if there's ANYthing you
might need. The memories I have of (whoever) will remain for as long as we remain. If you'd enjoy my company for any reason, please don't hesitate to call.

I have never minded saying "Rest in Peace", it's a common vernacular that I use without much thought or worry. And most of what is said after someone dies is for those of us still alive; if it offers comfort to those family and friends, what is the harm? Of course, to take another course with this thread, when my beloved travel trailer was destroyed in a freak windstorm and I shared the story, my one photo was not RIP, but rather "Rest in Pieces"...

Rustee Level 7 June 27, 2018

Well, at least they don't have to pay any more taxes.

I will remember you with fondness my dear friend!

My father, and my personal atheist hero always used Omar Khayyam's excerpt:

"Dust into Dust, and under Dust to lie
Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer, and--sans End!"

At my friend's wake, a rabid Blue Oyster Cult fan, we played

Don't Fear the Reaper

It seemed satisfactory for everybody, religious or not.

Mel Blanc, that's all folks

May the force be with you. May the farce(religions) be with you. Humans and post death....we know nothing. Get used to it. Embrace it.

Call me. Let's do lunch.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:103603
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.