Agnostic.com

68 4

Do you have an issue with people taking a knee?

If you're in the military are you offended by football players taking a knee?

paul1967 8 June 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (51 - 68)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, people are allowed their own opinions last time i looked it was a fairly free country nad we don't owe allegiance to anybody it is earned just like every other - I am not in your country so can't really speak about this aspect but I hope that everyone has the freedom to express their views as they wish non violently and to not be penalised for what they think feel or act.

No problem.

I wish the players were allowed to make their statements. As far as the legality of it, I really don't know.

No i have an issue with police shooting innocent men and women and acting like gestopo (im sure i spelled that wrong) i watched them detain a lady in labor for half an hour and she was on the way to hospital if that were me they better be ready to deliver i barley got to the damn place they were rude and almost cuffed her i was pissed what happened to polite and respectful

i know its a hard job and they get shot too and for the good ones i have empathy

we need better training and screen them better

its directly tied to trump and his racism he makes it acceptable
@benhmiller

No.

Why should I care?

you should care that their right to peaceful protest has been distorted

@whiskywoman
You mistake my meaning. Why should I care if they choose to protest. It’s their right. I would care if they were prohibited from doing so.

why should you care? You asked. Really does someone have to tell you? You need to read history!

@Gatovicolo it so happens that they are effectively prohibited from taking a knee in protest. They have to remain in the locker room for the national anthem if they are not going to stand. Thus removing their protest from sight. As they say out of sight out of mind. It was a ploy to silence dissent by the powers in charge.

@Ceaselessmind
No they’re not. There maybe consequences for kneeling , but they are not prohibited. And, it appears, that those consequences aren’t being enforced. This is more akin to peer pressure.

@Gatovicolo we will see when the season starts. I don't watch the crap because sports are a waste of time for me to watch but I am sure the MSM will be all a buzz with the drama. The team will be fined if a player kneels and that team could be suspended and team owners will likely fire offenders rather than stand by them. Its all about the money at that point. Either way the rules are meant to silence dissent and keep anyone from getting their message out.

@Ceaselessmind
They should all kneel in protest.

I am not in the military. I am a seventy five year old woman. NO, I do not care.

It depends, if there are specific requirements set forth by their employer as to how they are to behave at games, then yes, they need to abide by those rules to earn their million dollar paychecks. Many people work jobs where the employers dictate no religion/no politics whilst on the clock. That is THEIR right. If you don't like the job, you are free to seek employment elsewhere.

If there aren't specific rules given by the employer, then free speech/peaceful protest is NOT a problem.

the rules did not prohibit protest until trump threw a fit cause he needed a distraction

@whiskywoman While that is true, employees are bound to follow the rules set forth by their employers as a condition of their employment.

in the beginning it was not illegal for King to march. But those in power made it so but it did not stop him!

@benhmiller True. But if they choose to wilfully disregard a rule by their employer, then they need to be aware that they could be in violation of their contract and be fired or penalized. MLK was not depending on the power that be for a paycheck or employment....apples and oranges.

Like Tonya Harding's boyfriend?

How is kneeling disrespectful of the flag? Where is kneeling disrespectful? Where else do we kneel?

1. We kneel to offer respect, like a deeper bow.
  2. When praying, for whatever religion (I know where I'm posting but still)
  3. When picking something up
  4. As a symbol of obedience
  5. When paying respect for a lost comrade at their grave

So am I supposed to believe that kneeling to the national anthem is disrespectful? It seems like it is only disrespectful when they do something that is part of their own free will. That choosing to support the community that is getting unfairly singled out is not their community and therefore shunned. Because they are not kneeling before Trump? I do not kneel before that jackass and never will.

CK-One Level 6 June 11, 2018

Sir, no sir! I believe it was intended to be respectuf, sir!

i'm not in the military but i have read and heard responses from veterans, and the vast majority of them are baffled by the issue; what has taking a knee to protest racism got to do with the flag, or with the military, is their general attitude. that is my attitude as well. i don't even think we should be playing the anthem at sporting events. are sporting events somehow more patriotic than, say, operas, or plays, or picnics? i know why we do it: the pentagon paid sports producers to do it to encourage enlistment during one of the world wars. i don't know if it worked. anyway, kneeling doesn't hurt anyone, doesn't get any soldiers killed, doesn't slap any vets in the face (not giving them health care does!) and makes a point that needs to be made. the issue shouldn't be whether it's okay to kneel. the issue should be whether it's okay for cops to kill unarmed black men for the crime of being black.

g

Former active duty no I do not my dad killed Koreans Nazis and Vietnamese for me or anyone to have the right to protest people are getting butt. Hurt because it's not white kids getting killed. By cops A.C.A.B

In the old days of the 1950's it was customary to stand up when the national anthem was played at the end of a film. Sometimes we left just before the final scene ending just to avoid hte crowds and be able to catch a bus home without waiting in the cold. I have no special reverance for our "Royal's', I don't care about them in any way - They don't impact my life and I don't expect to be forced into something that is not part of my culture as a working class woman. Respect is fine but has its limits too.

As long as it's their own.

what you are saying only those who the act directly effect should do the protesting? Sorry any unjust laws or acts to other humans effects us all!

Not at all...

My knees hurt badly...osteoarthritis!! Is there any drug to cure it?

Turmeric powder added to cooking, from what I've read. And giving up dairy.

I am OK with it as long as it is not in the groin !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:104330
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.