Agnostic.com

72 3

Do you believe in ex lovers getting back together ?

EmeraldJewel 7 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

72 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Would be very hard to trust them if they walked away and just gave up who's to say they won't do it again.

azzow2 Level 9 June 13, 2018

Truly depends on if they've both grown and overcome their challenges. Unless one was a cheating abusive psycho

As long as it's not me and one of mine...no problem.

?❤?

It can happen. The issue(s) that caused the breakup needs to be completely resolved though.

I tried it with my first love...and too late, realized the good sense in breaking up all those years ago. I’d like to think it can happen, but it hasn’t for me.

Currently wishing it could be, but not betting the farm on it...

lcmdws Level 4 June 17, 2018

No. I married my husband twice. Shouldve killed him the first time.?

😀 lol!

Yes..better the devil you know..?
I haven't done it exactly..as in returned to reprising a relationship with an ex.
However on two ex girlfriends..it seemed almost impossible to extricate ourselves completely because sexually speaking we found it difficult not to have sexual relations even though we were no longer together..its silly but..the love of body didn't die with the end of the love of mind or direction.

????

I have done this with a few people in my life. Sometimes it was just a matter of needing a break. But with one, we went on to have a relationship that lasted nine more years. And it wasn’t horrible. With another I got back together with him and we stayed together another 4 years. No regrets. There’ve been a few online relationships where I’ve gotten back together with somebody, again no regrets. I’m a firm believer in the fact that I have a special place in my heart for all my exes. I will always have love for that person. I don’t rule out anything.

CM1965 Level 7 June 14, 2018

I think if you break up once, there is no need to get back together. Because, really why break-up in the first place.

MoniB Level 6 June 13, 2018

Generally there is a reason an ex is an ex. However, I have seen some cases where reunited exes made it work. Could be that immaturity got in the way the first time around.

Why visit the past and expect a different future?

When I was 19 I went down to New Orleans with my cousin and a friend to check out Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen as a budding young chef in the making. While enjoying a very underage drunk, I heard a regular down there sing one of his best that I think sums up my opinion on the matter pretty well... "Baby if I went back to you, it'd be like cookin' in 'Old Grease'. Lol
But honestly, while it may be comfortable, whatever separated you in the first place will always be there and you just cannot turh back the clock. Unfortunately.

Sure.

I'll do you one better: how about having a "stand-by" that you go back to whenever you're not involved in a "real" relationship? Ya know, like a permanent on-call FWB?

It's all good, as long as it's done in good faith, full knowledge, mutual consent and reciprocity, good judgment, integrity, total honesty (with self and others), etc. That's my MO for all things, pretty much.

Relationships are like a gallon of milk. If you pour a glass & it tastes sour, you don't put the jug back in the fridge & think, "this will be so much better 3 months from now." You broke up for a reason. Let that sleeping dog stay asleep.

I don't NOT believe in it. It can happen, just depends on the circumstances of those involved.

Why not? Some of the most lasting marriages that I’ve seen are the same ones that repeatedly broke up and reformed. Of course, there’s the added value of drama.

Believe? It doesn't work for me. I just decided that life is too short to make the same mistakes over and over while there are so many I haven't made yet.

JimG Level 8 June 13, 2018

Do people really change? Somehow I doubt it, we evolve but our core personality is there by the time we reach early adulthood most of what we are is fixed. So whatever didn't work before still won't work if we give it a second chance. Sometimes we just want the familiar even though we know it isn't good for us.

Most of the time its a bad idea! Those are my feelings on it, usually there is a reason why it didn't work the first time

If both of you feel like it was wrong to separate or if you miss each other, then by all meas, but if you are only returning to each other because of familiarity, do not. Familiarity brings the problems back, while actually missing them can help you realize where you were wrong and try to fix the flaws you previously had.

Yes! If there were a way to rate this answer 5 stars I would.

Possibly. Imagine you had a chance meeting with your boyfriend/girlfriend from when you were 18, 25 years or more since you last saw one another... you'd both have changed a lot since then, but maybe you both still have those characteristics that made you attracted to each other. Who knows - it might work out.

Jnei Level 8 June 17, 2018

Depends upon the strength of the initial relationship and the causes that led to its breakdown. Statistically I suspect such reunions are rare.

No, no, no!

Purely subjective. Never worked for me. YMMV

zeuser Level 9 June 14, 2018

Recently experienced just this. It was fun but didn’t last.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:106439
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.