Agnostic.com

68 9

Do we have a purpose in life?

I've been reading a book called Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life. It's an interesting book that looks at Okinawa, the place where there are more centenarians than anywhere else.

On the north side of the island, a town called Ogimi boasts the highest life expectancy in the world. So, they researched what sets these people apart. Of course, they eat well, have a good social network, regularly drink green tea... but another factor remained called Ikigai. That is having a purpose in life. In Japanese culture, work is considered a very important part of life- and finding the right work that matches skills and interests is Ikigai.

To them, you do not make your purpose in life. You find it. So, do you think Ikigai exists? A purpose in life, that each person has, and is meant to discover?

silvereyes 8 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

68 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many people simply exist, without purpose. The person who has a sense of purpose and finds the means to achieve it is fortunate.

No. You can find purpose, but fate is silly.

I don’t think there is any objective purpose in life, but I do think humans are evolved to feel more contented, and perhaps be more productive, when we adopt a sense of purpose. I think that’s usually by way of contributing something of use to society at large, or to our family, or to an individual other than ourselves. Many people also find purpose in contributing to the wellbeing of other species, as in the case of animal rights activists, etc.

skado Level 9 Dec 26, 2017

In my opinion, there is NO purpose to live and each creates their own purpose.

I'm a nihilist in the sense that I don't think we have an innate purpose beyond survive. We create or choose our own purposes in life.

The way it is phrased clouds the issue. Hark back to one of my mottoes in life: Do what you love and you'll always love what you do. You may call that Ikigai if you wish, but it is a simple notion and the results of following it are self evident. Doing what you love to do rarely places any stress in the psyche and that can only translate to less stress on the body, hence a chance at a long and fulfilling life. Mine has been interrupted by an illness that has nothing to do with stress, diet, blah blah blah, but I remain happy with what I am doing and where it is taking me. No fate, faith, or Ikigai to blame. Just doing what I love.

All human beings have purpose, whether it’s found purpose or purpose that has been hunted. We are all doing exactly what we’re supposed be doing when we’re supposed to be doing it.

in all honestly life hasnt much perpise . we live we die we hopefully pass on our genes they live thwy die they pass on there gene the cycle continues. however getting into science i find human evelution extrodinary . seeing technology advance health getting better all the great pleasures in life im actually having a good time here and dreading the end of it. find what has meaning to you and enjoy life while you can is my motto.

It is innate for human nature to feel a need to answer such a question, but no one knows.

Your purpose is what you manifest.

It depends in what venue, Ecologically humans serve no purpose, on the contrary a disservice. If you call propagating our own destructive species a purpose, that's a different story

Beyond biological imperatives, no.
But we create and indulge in purposes we create for ourselves....even if there is no grand purpose. Your wants, needs, desires, abilities, drive, and a whole other host of factors determine what it is you will personally pursue as purpose.

Thank you for the reading suggestions, sounds really interesting.

Purpose is the only thing what you give to your life... Otherwise your life is a result of someone's love or lust whichever you feel. You had absolutely no control over your birth.

I recall some years ago when I was only my way to work one morning I was listening to the car radio. The oldest woman in the country was being interviewed and the interviewer asked her what she had for breakfast: "Well, for the past 90 years I've had nothing but brandy and eggs for me breakfast. I gave up smoking two years ago when I realized it was bad for me."

I know what is gratifying to me. What position, place in society fits my skills and therefore satisfies me? Do I make that? Or do I find it? ("Find a need and fulfill it!" ) I don't know.

Unfortunately, most people do not have a sound purpose in life. Most people do not even like their work. The greatest waste if time in life. That is when Religion and Nationaism creeps into our lives like body snatchers.

On the upside people are basically good and will find a better way than our existing abuse, right now. Just after world war 3.

Only in a very generic personal sense. My purpose is that which I create for myself. I think we discover things in life and pick and choose from those things that we want to include in our feeling of purpose. So depending on how you view it, we could say purpose finds us but I think it's more accurate to say we discover those things we value and that becomes a part of our purpose.

My purpose would be to be the best, kindest person I can be. Help others when and how I can. Be a better mother to my girls.

Ants are ten times humans weight mass on earth. Why can't humans instinctually work together like ants . All animals love.

Humans are capable of taking work and love ethics and making them into a better planet for all earthlings. Yet, they allow just a few elite to hypnotised the people's brains and backbones into a synthetic world.

I can not change the world, it will change itself. I can change myself, if that makes a few happier, my purpose will expand and so do I with a purpose greater than an ant. By
gathering more Joy's in life rather than toys in the end, you win. Their are many other better ways of thinking. Better than our present destructive synthetics greedy bastards.

My dogs know my purpose in life.

In the Steve Martin movie, "The Jerk" Steve is born as a poor black child in rural somewhere and his mother tells him he has a special purpose. Later, Steve discovers that is just another name for his penis. Your genes, ala Richard Dawkins, insist that you transfer their important messages to future generations. Silent genes don't get passed on, only selfish ones.....

You make your own purpose. And if you don't go out of bounds with the society you live in, you don't get thrown in jail or killed. OH ... and 42.

Question = answered.

I don't think there is a collective -'we' some of us just float around willy-nilly doing the best we can to be human - very many of us are damaged by our experiences that we cannot understand. Some know that here is a god - some don't, we are a strange collective of individuals and I like that idea everyone is different we meet learning opportunities all the time

I don't believe there is a purpose. But there are conditions that make a person better for a certain job or career.

It is not magical, it is logical. You take a hundred people, most of them would be different, you would find the perfect person for a specific job or rather, you'll find out what these people are good at.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:10840
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.