Agnostic.com

32 3

What are the best and/or your favorite musicians of all time?

Inspired by a post I saw earlier (and ironically a similar post on Facebook around the same time from someone completely different -- must be something in the air), who are the best, or your, favorite musicians, of all time? Broken down by instrument: guitar, base, other strings, piano, other keyboards, drums, other percussion, brass, woodwinds, etc. Any or all categories, add your own if you'd like, but be specific, and if possible include Youtube links.

bleurowz 8 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Larry Mckenna of Philadelphia on tenor sax. Steve Rudolph of Harrisburg, PA on Piano. Jimmy Coleman of Philadelphia on Drums.

Feeddie Mercury all the way!

Excellent chose

Bill Ward- Percussion for Black Sabbath!

Between him and Geezer Butler (bass), I don't think you could find a better rhythm section. Certainly not a heavier one.

I always preferred Vinnie Appice, but I have mad respect for Ward....

@Fit-50something Yeah!

Oooh, tricky. Here are a few that spring to mind...

Vocal and cello - Polly Jean Harvey

Guitars, drums, bass - all members of My Bloody Valentine

Guitar - Django Reinhardt. Violin - Stéphane Grappelli

Vocal - Ella Fitzgerald, Amy Winehouse

Synths and computers - Richard D. James (aka the Aphex Twin)

Sequencer - Alec Empire ATR

Piano - Thelonious Monk

Trumpet - Miles Davis and Louis Armstrong (Miles was the better musician, but Satchmo edges into the lead thanks to not beating up his wife)

Anger - Hanin Elias

Bass Guitar - Tom Jenkinson (Squarepusher)
Jnei Level 8 June 25, 2018

David Bowie. Total obsession

Yes. . I get it.

Love Lucia. Hoping to see her in the Fall

@idoubtit I believe she will be in Fort Lauderdale in August.

Awesome!

Freddie Mercury for sure.

Ryksie Level 6 June 25, 2018

Billie Holiday. Vocals

Mark Knopfler
Ronnie James Dio

chaz13 Level 4 June 25, 2018

Itzhak Perlman on the violin.

Benny Goodman on the clarinet.

Here's my off the top of my head picks for all time greats (not necessarily my favorites) in no particular order.

• Guitar
    • Buckethead
    • Frank Zappa
    • Ben Weinman (Dillinger Escape Plan)
  • Bass
    • Geddy Lee
    • Les Calypool
    • Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne)
  • Drums
    • Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
    • Tomas Haake (Meshuggah)
    • Dave Lombardo (Slayer/Fantômas)
  • Vocals
    • Mike Patton
    • Geoff Tate
    • Chris Cornell

Many solid pics there. I couldn't or wouldn't argue with most of them....

@chaz13 most..

I'm curious, which ones would you argue?

@SecularSurfer

I guess argue isn't the correct word. After all when it comes to ranking professional artists, it comes down to personal preference. When it comes to the Hard Rock and metal genres, there so many talented and diverse people to choose from. Your list is incredibly solid, and there isn't a bad musician in the bunch. That being said, I would just say that our tastes differ. A few of the guys on your list are in bands I don't care for, thus I don't know enough about the individual members to form an intelligent opinion, ie... Meshuggah, Mudvayne, and D.E.S.
My list would look quit a bit different

Vocals:

1. Ronnie James Dio
  2. Chris Cornell
  3. Bruce Dickinson

Guitar:

1. Yngwie Malmsteen
  2. Synister Gates
  3. Slash

Bass:

1. Frank Bello
  2. Billy Sheehan
  3. Steve Harris

Drums:

1. Mike Portnoy
  2. Neil Peart
  3. Cozy Powell

Piano/Organ

1. John Lord
  2. Don Airey
  3. Ray Manzerik

On a side note; As much respect as I have for Geoff Tate, I actually prefer Todd LaToré. He's as good as Tate is, or was for that matter, and he's one of coolest people I've ever met......

flute - Hubert Laws 'Amazing Grace'

trumpet - some many great ones my favorite is Chris Botti and this one is tops 'Where I'm Calling From" www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2MlEgRjmEY

I like Fleetwood Mac - 'Gypsy'
Freddie Mercury
Dire Straits
Bob Seger

Sadao Watanobe - sax

Jazz, Blue grass, new Age, Swing.big band, Frank Sinatra

I posted earlier that Bach was my fovorite composer. But thinking about it I had to mention my favorite singer. I love a great many, but Lisa Gerrard stands out to me one of the best. She has a certian power, depth, warmth, range, and such that not many that I've heard coming close to.

Classical composers -- Aaron Copland and Max Bruch. Jazz -- Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, and Errol Garner. Pop - Simon and Garfunkel and Bette Midler. Folk -- Baez and Pete Seeger. z

I left out Copeland, Dave Bruneck, Baez

Metalachi I just love this band right now.

Here's another great cover of Crazy Train by my good buddies in The Railbenders.....

Piano (Blues) George Winston

Beth Gibbons Lead vocals.

Guitar - Alex Lifeson; Bass - Geddy Lee; Drums - Neil Peart

Arthur Rubinstein on the piano.

Any thing from Bach.

The little fugue is one of my favorites. I love hearing it played by a brass quintet....

@chaz13 I used to play the Cello when I was younger and one of things I had to learn to play was this.

This was my intro to Bach, and since then I'vad the opportunity to learn most of his works. There a lot of musicians and composers that I greatly admire, but Back still holds to be my favorite.

@TristanNuvo

I've always loved that piece as well. The Baroque period has always been my favorite when it comes to orchestral....

the doors,allman bros,greatful dead,neil young,eric clapton,steve winwood

Vocals - Peter Hammill (Van Der Graaf Generator), [bing.com]

Track is 12:00 so stick with it. Exceptional vocalist and watch out for the dual sax playing by Dave Jackson

Radiohead, Elbow, Kasabian, Arcade Fire

This is long but if you have the patience to settle in and let him build it up, it is amazing. If you don’t have patience then start at 8:00.

Long? No it's not. I'm a Prog Rock fan. I listen to songs that are 25 minutes long.

That is some unbelievable guitar work. This guy is incredibly talented.

Wow!

Miles Davis, Ginger Baker, Cannonball Adderley, Mel Torme,Dizzy Gullespie, Itzak Perlman, Eric Clapton, Grover Washington Jr., Barbara Streisand , Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Patsy Cline, all Bernsteins , Tchkovsky, Chopin, EmEnem, Scott Joplin, I can name more but I’ll only note you all as your selections will be stellar

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:115564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.