Agnostic.com

31 8

Does anyone travel for concerts?

I don't do the big festivals anymore, but with major rock acts starting to do farewell tours, and with limited schedules, I'm find it necessary - and fun - to travel around for shows. Traveled to Seattle a couple of weeks ago for a show not stopping in Denver, and will go to LA next month for another. I don't need a show to go to NYC but have done it. Where have you gone and who have you seen there?

242Foxtrot 8 June 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If money were not a factor, I absolutely would! I loathe large venues for concerts, so I'd love to be able to travel to the smallest of venues to see the people I'd like to see.

All the time. My house is too small.

I am fortunate that plenty of musicians come to Seattle. But I will travel anywhere to see Animaniacs Live the first time it fits into my calendar. And I will consider a trip to Las Vegas for Lady Gaga and/or Queen.

@Byrdsfan Only concert I ever attended with my dad was Judy Collins at the Triple Door. Great place! Except the staff stole my forgotten Maui Jim sunglasses that I love. They were on the seat; and you know how dark it is in there.

In my youth, I once saw Aerosmith three times on two continents in (just over) a year. I didn't go to see them, I just happened to live where they were touring.

I have travelled to Denver to see both Steely Dan/Elvis Costello and They Might Be Giants (just saw TMBG a few months ago)

I moved to the Dallas area right as Tom Petty was touring. I didn't particularly want to see his support act (I had seen Joe Walsh before, and was MUCH more interested in seeing The Lumineers), so I really wanted to go to Portland to see him. Still kicking myself that I missed the last chance to see him 😟

Ozman Level 7 June 27, 2018

I went to pittsburgh when i won macklemore tickets. It was my neighbors first concert too. We had a blast. I live in a smaller town,so i have to travel to see concerts,or anything. I personally love road trips,they are so fun.

Done it a few times. Back in my college days, my friends and I drove from Lincoln, NE to Lawrence, KS for Oingo Boingo, Kansas City, MO for The B-52's and Toad The Wet Sprocket and Denver, CO for The Cure, Love And Rockets and The Pixies. I've also flown from Denver to Detroit to see Porcupine Tree because the Boulder show was sold out and Detroit was the only stop on the tour with tickets still available.

Yes!! For some reason, the shows nearby always occur on weekdays, which costs me vacation OR guarantees a rough day or two at work. We've driven or flown to SC, NYC, Chicago, Indpls from our home in GA, just to catch certain groups on the weekend. (:

Zster Level 8 June 27, 2018

I’ve followed U2 along the east coast.

Last summer I drove from Salt Lake to Denver to see Queen with Adam Lambert and the year before I made the same drive to see Peter Gabriel with Sting. On Saturday we’re driving to Portland to see George Thorogood at the Portland Blues Festival.

I wish I could have the time and resource to do that. Maybe when I'm retired.

I travel around Texas. I live in the middle of 3 big cities and I've been able to see the bands I like. The last one I saw was Flogging Molly and they were great!

Oooh I would like to see them

I used to drive to Berlin quite regularly for concerts with my kids when we lived in Dresden, about 1.5 hours south of Berlin. The venues were all small and I usually spent my time hanging out with the managers and merch guys, though that often led to meeting the band, too. The kids saw Hello, Goodbye, Plain White Ts, and Simple Plan, plus several more I can't recall.
*Fun Fact: Slaughterhouse 5, in Dresden, (a real place) has been preserved and is now a concert venue.

The farthest I have travelled for a concert was once to Bangor, Maine to see Megadeth and another time I went to Maine for Slayer

I have traveled extensively if I can get great tickets. Seen Springsteen in a number of small venues ( which makes for a more intimate show. Right now I would go to see Tedeschi Trucks Band play anywhere. If you haven't listened to them you should give it a try. Absolutely the tightest blues, jazz, and rock n roll band currently playing.

I have traveled extensively if I can get great tickets. Seen Springsteen in a number of small venues ( which makes for a more intimate show. Right now I would go to see Tedeschi Trucks Band play anywhere. If you haven't listened to them you should give it a try. Absolutely the tightest blues, jazz, and rock n roll band currently playing.

I would go to hell for the right person

LMAO

Small music festivals are our favourite. Anything where hi-viz clothing is in evidence is too big. The last one we went to was in Whitby, Yorkshire

What is viz clothing?

@BlueWave sorry.. bad spelling recently corrected. I just hate being managed and pushed around by jumped up security guards in high visibility clothing. You know the types.... tell you what you can't do rather than what you can. For me the idea is you're there to relax not be pushed around.

@Flettie Gotcha!

Not unless I'm playing in it.

Not as much as I used to, but yes.

I'm up the road from you in Loveland, and am going to see David Crosby Thursday June 28 at the Stanley Hotel (The Shining) in Estes Park and spend the night. If I live through the night, the next day I'll sail down Hwy 7 to see him at Red Rocks Friday night. Ashamed to say as a Colorado native I've never been to a concert there until now. But that's all close to home. Just bought a cabin on the Oregon coast to winter in, so I'll be looking for shows out west. The new-fangled Fleetwood Mac have some winter dates out there I'll check out.

I'm doing it for the first time in July. A singer songwriter named Father John Misty (Josh Tillman is playing in Medford Oregon in July. I read an article in the New Yorker about him a couple of years ago and saw a concert he did in Copenhagen in 2015 on youtube. He's anti religion and many of the songs are about the current sad state of affairs. "Comedy" is a great song and one would think it was written after Trump came to power, but it was written before.

My favorite Father John Misty moment was when he said to his audience at one of his shows, I know it's kind of cheesy guys, but I want to sing my favorite love song for you... then proceeded to break in to Nine Inch Nails, I Want To Fuck You Like An Animal.

I love him! I saw him on snl,then had to download his songs. Hes very original.

I go to the huge metal fests every year ala Maryland Death fest, LA's Strike fest, even been on Mortorhead's Motorboat.This year I get to wipe a fest off my bucket list! Going Wacken Open Air in northern Germany!

Wacken is on my bucket list.

Gosh I thought of traveling 3 hours from Canon City to Denver to see Shelly Segal was traveling....

You're in Canon City? I spent three wonderful years there, miss it horribly.

I traveled to Chicago to see Doheimsgard, Bolzer, Suffering Hour, and Dumal. I have traveled to see other bands as well.

Bolzer rules

@AndyFreakingFord they were actually my favorite

@MichelleGar1 you have good taste in metal! I like that! ?Big black metal are you?

@AndyFreakingFord I love all metal!

@AndyFreakingFord thanks for saying that I have good taste in metal!

What kind of music

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:116759
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.