Agnostic.com

55 2

What’s the worst or most boring job you’ve ever had?

Lol I won’t deny that when I worked briefly as a greeter was probably one of my most boring.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, but you were more than a greeter. You were there to make people feel good while also making sure they do not steal anything. πŸ™‚ I've felt best about my job as an in home appliance repairman, but I did a lot of driving. My part-time job today delivers parts to people and doing that takes driving. That makes me at least half happy.

The worst job I ever had led me to the best! I was a full-commission Series 3 commodities broker at the Chicago Board of Trade. As a new broker, I was required to do cold calls. I was extremely good at it but I HATED it and I knew it was completely inefficient. I got the idea to start a grains trading information website. I learned how to write html code and built it myself. Before the 2008 crash, I could come in and find I had 10 new accounts overnight! I learned email marketing and grew the site into a paid subscription service that ended up generating enough revenue to support the firm after the crash. I sold the site in 2010 and moved into developing Internet businesses.

I’m high school, I worked at a dry cleaner. It kinda creeped all the patrons out that I had everyone’s names, numbers, and how they liked thier stuff all memorized.

"Come on, it can't be THAT bad!" a customer said, watching me dejectedly wiping down a nearby restaurant table.

Waitressing convinced me to go to graduate school. I worked a YMCA program director while in graduate school and ultimately, for eight years.

Loved being a YMCA program director! I learned: writing news releases, designing brochures, public speaking, marketing, program planning, researching community needs, people skills, supervision, training and budgeting.

The skills I learned as a YMCA program director help me to this day.

During the Recession of 81' I got a summer job working at a precast concrete plant as a spot welder making the wire hoops that gave strength to precast concrete manhole risers that are needed to adjust the height of the manholes to the road height. I sang every song I could think of to keep from losing my mind from the boredom but jobs were scarce and this one paid good money, then I found out the rest of the shift had a pool going on how long I would last, the record was 6 weeks and most of the bets were for only a week or two. Every Friday the spot welder had to climb the tower where the precast cement was mixed in a giant mixer that fed the concrete down gravity fed tubes to the assembly line, there were 3 lockout switches that I had to lock out before I climbed into the room sized mixer with an air chisel and a dust mask to chip out all the hardened cement that had accumulated over the course of the week. It was 140 degree inside that mixer and if the machine should somehow be turned on in spite of the 3 lockouts I would be scrambled into a human paste.
I lasted 10 weeks and won the pool because I bet against myself at 10 weeks. A really tough job and monotony doesn't begin to describe it.

You rock! Well done.

Cracker Barrel. McDonalds is a distant second.

The Army

I loved the Army but I didn't realize that until a few years later and being back home.

Amazon Warehouse

Anything to due with being on the assembly line, standing for 8 hours just doing the same mundane job drove me crazy, why i never lasted that long working doing those jobs but one had to do things to make a living. Why I'm a cabinet maker, least now i can use my mind and hands to do different tasks.

That is my working life because we need the dough. Made easier by a great team, supervisors that listen and the opportunity to train in different areas.

Well the Most Boring job I Wish I had, would be working for Elon Musk's The Boring Company, tunneling 30 feet below.

That would be picking cotton.

During college for my first degree, I took a weekend job at a funeral home helping people make funeral arrangements, select coffins, and set up payments.

The shock and horror of realizing how many people leave NO MONEY to pay for their expenses and seeing families struggle to pay for funerals convinced me by to buy a 20 year pay, Whole Life policy for $20K to cover my expenses. I paid it off by the time I was 40 and now it's there (along with additional insurance purchased along the way).

Insurance, it's the adult thing to do... (unless you are donating your body to science....but you still need to pay for the viewing/service that YOU KNOW your relatives are going to want).

When i was a telemarketer. It was so boring,i hated it. I prefer to be active,so sitting for a long period of time didnt work well for me.

@RobLawrence yes,i was.lol I also took calls for ppl that were calling to order stuff too. That wasnt so bad.

Being a teacher. Its literally a suicide mission..

Ugh! I couldn’t be a teacher.

@RobLawrence I had a panic attack a week ago and my stress levels have reached unbearable levels... Thank goodness I am going to rest during summer holidays

@RobLawrence by reading your post I actually felt I was reading a summary about the school I work at the moment 😟

@RobLawrence Children of teachers know. My dad taught high school AND was also a high school coach. Baseball, Football, girl's basketball, volleyball.

The death threats were all from the parents of girls' basketball players. Even the football parents in a football town aren't as bad as the parents of the girls' basketball players who don't start a game.

@RobLawrence I don't have enough like buttons for your response.

12 hours of standing on a platform watching bagels on a conveyor. Just about the time you are almost asleep, they would get jammed up and pile up on the floor. Run like mad, unjam, then another 3 hours of staring at bagel going past.

Working in a logistics office and processing delivery truck manifests in a room with no windows. Every hour felt like a whole day.

Fuck the capitalist dream.

My first KP in the army, loading, unloading dishwasher for a 300 man mess hall, scrubbing kitchen garbage cans, digging latrines in the field... actually my entire six years in the army.

Tomas Level 7 July 2, 2018

For a two week period, I was a test examiner for a company. I basically sat there and watched a person take a test. No book reading, no writing, nothing.

Picking olives. Trust me boyfriends and girlfriends, you don't want to go there. πŸ™‚

Thats insane!!!

@EmeraldJewel I was young and needed the money!

@David1955 hey, I could understand that. I needed the money when I worked as a damn greeter ugh!

I worked for a really crappy thrift store, I was the only person there under 65 and all the oldies treated me like I was an idiot. They would put me on shift on my own without the ability to lock up shop which wasn't a problem until I fell pregnant with my first child, my constant need to pee without help ended up being too much so I had to quit

Ugh’ I know that feeling!

Worst job? Working as a Correctional Officer at a Work release prison. Most boring? Probably the same one. Although every job I had had plenty of boring days.

I had a job at a cheese factory, my job was to cut the cheese, that job stunk...

Lmfao I would have been tempted to eat it!

I'm a small business owner and I love what I do. I've only had two jobs before. I worked at a chemical plant and I'm a Vietnam vet. Hard call which was worse.

The Army

Worst job was working for a timeshare company, telephoning people that had entered their contest to tell them that they'd won something. From the description, you'd think that the people I was calling would be pleasant. Nothing could be further from the truth. I call them, remind them that they filled out a contest entry form, and that they had won something - they had only to show up, listen to a 30-60 minute sales presentation, and then pull an envelope out of a bucket to determine which of the five available prizes were theirs. The level of hate that was directed at me during each and every call was stomach-turning. I think I lasted all of three days there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:120351
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.