Agnostic.com

8 4

Why don't churches have to pay taxes? And why do the churches have to have so many assets tied up in their churches and cathedrals including gold and statues and works of art along with the pomp and ceremony. Billions of dollars would be available to help all the starving and homeless children and their families around the world. Jesus preached out in the open didn't he???

Graeme 4 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@Graeme I could not agree more with you, but, boy, wouldn't they resist it. (Hello from Aldinga Beach, BTW)

For a long time in history, churches taxed kings who then taxed their subjects and fought wars to cover the costs paid to the church to atone for the souls of those killed on both sides. A couple of our small political parties here in Australia are pushing to remove tax exemption from religous bodies. It won't happen in my lifetime, but we are chipping away at the edges.

During the war Pope Pius XII was surrounded by Fascists. He had spent time in Germany and was considered a Germanophile. He used the idea of religion and politics should not mix as a way to keep out of making a decision that would put the Vatican in serious danger (Hitler was in a seminary and some of his high staff were devout Catholics). Hitler mad a deal with him to tax the people who attended church as an extra incentive to keep quiet. This concordat was still being implemented decades later. It may very well still be in place. It varied from state to state and included one's assets as well as income.

I believe that all religious organizations and political PACs should be required to undergo audits by a licensed CPA *chosen at random from an accredited list) on a yearly basis-- with the results available to the public. I also believe that all religious organizations involved in generating funds should be taxed.

How about all political entities and tax-exempt entities? I'd love audits of all the charities too.

Mmm; see the US Constitution... the deal that was made.

The US Constitution does NOT say that religious institutions are not to be taxed. There is no such provision.

Interpretation.... of course there was no taxation period at the time of the founding of the US. Churches were given dispensation in 1894... [churchesandtaxes.procon.org]

Thats how I felt when I walked through the Vatican while a college student and saw the disgusting amount of wealth-poor people gave to the Church and what did the Church do for them? And 2 blocks away there were children begging. I felt sick to my stomach.

is that the case in Australia too?

Great question and part of the reason I think we should all practice tax resistance (NOT EVASION) by refusing to release taxes to the federal government until they start making rules that apply to ALL OF US.

Thank you!!!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12053
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.