Agnostic.com

72 7

Does age matter to you when it comes to love or dating?

Follow up questions: Does age play a part in what you look for in a partner? Also do you feel a wider age gap poses issues?

BohoHeathen 8 July 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

72 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would like to think that age difference doesn’t matter , but really it does... but I also think it depends on the people a lot!

Yes, it matters to me, in a sense that someone younger would likely want a faster pace to enjoy life (going out, having fun etc). If I cannot keep up with the pace then it's not fair for the younger person. On the other hand, if both have the same interests then age becomes less relevant but still within certain margin. Of course every story is different and unique.

It does matter some, but not a great deal.

Yes.

Coldo Level 8 July 3, 2018

It absolutely matters to me. I don't want a strange dynamic where someone has a load more life experience than me; I'll end up looking daft and naive just because I'm young. I'm sure this becomes less of a problem later in life. But I'm not a fan of having a power dynamic like that in a relationship.

Nope, not at all. There could be issues sure but issues can arise from many other sources. I have experience with very large age gaps.

Quick answer, no, it doesn't. We all have our preferences. While age represents the amount of time you have been alive, I feel you can have another age label in reference to your mindset. You just need to find someone with a mindset age similar to yours.

Yes, it does to me.

"Passages" by Gail Sheehy would seem to suggest there are potential problems if the age difference puts the two persons in two different ten year groups. In short, she contends that the interests and motivations change as one passes from 20 years old to 30 years old to 40 years old and if the other person is not in that same group, their different interests and motivations will likely cause dissonance.

Yes, it definately does for me as I am just 21 and I this I will only date someone with 3-4 years of gap on either side.

It does to them & since the current popular trend is generational based that's the way it flies, people see numbers before all other criteria predominantly.

I am dating a woman 8 years older than me. It wasn’t what I was looking for but I am very happy I’ve met her. I am 61 and was looking for someone between 55 and 63. She’s amazing. I am very active and she kicks my ass.

jab60 Level 6 July 3, 2018

Not at all. I've met some wonderfully mature 20, 30, and 40-somethings, and some incredibly immature 50 and 60-somethings. Connections is what is about for me.

In general age matters and yes, a large gap can be problematic. Specifics can vary though.

I think age does not matter at all

Esse Level 3 July 3, 2018

First, to each his own. I liked pretty much every reply to this. I'm just wrapping up a 21 year relationship (3 dating, 16 married, 2 separated) to a girl about 8 years younger than me. A lot of her immaturity is due to her religion. I'm sticking to a +/-5 year rule going forward, but will be open to exceptions. NO RELIGIOUS FUNDIES GOING FORWARD. Right now I'm just still trying to recover from the first mess. I will be much more selective next go around. I didn't listen to my gut first time. Gut's got my full attention this time, and if that means staying single, then I'm fine with that.

No issues here, if the attraction is mutual then life's too short to be looking for problems that aren't there. We all have our ideals, I'm looking to meet someone roughly my own age, but that's just a starting point, if something else starts working then that's fine. Someone else's ideal may be some one significantly older or younger, and if that works for them and their partner I don't see a problem with it.

Salo Level 7 July 3, 2018

Its like buyiing Wine. You get better with Age and Appreciation.

I recalled only once in my life my relationhip was in an older than me lady dealio, was not that involved or important... didn't worked out to the point that it was to this day only break up without a friendly hug. I was 20 she was 5-6 years older, plus I had someone else she knew of and another she didn't. That little important. Maybe I am finally ready to deal with somebody older, certain my spread around days are no longer needed or desired. COMPATIBLE BEINGS. That is the goal for me... soulmate, kindred spirit, witness to my life to create a collective adventure. I will be her compliment and companion to her side, she will be my inspiration. But aging together is a priviledge only afforded by those closer in age, so do not fool yourself... reality of aging is real and constant but I am not looking for a future caregiver, all I need is a mate... a partner in love.

I perfer women younger, just not more than one generation younger because you don't share the similar memories . Dating 2 generation back means reading them bedtime stories.

I perfer women younger, just not more than one generation younger because you don't share the similar memories . Dating 2 generation back means reading them bedtime stories.

I did date someone much younger once (about 15 years?) and all I can say is that conversation was lacking because we seemed to be in a whole different generation. Topics like music, fashion, art... we weren't even in each other's universe and that made it hard! There is no common reminiscing. Even if everything else is great it's hard to connect to someone on an emotional level without deep conversation from time to time. I imagine it might go the same way with someone much older.

Nope. I've dated older and younger.

Funny you ask. Most of my friendships and relationships have been with younger men. I've always looked younger by 10 years. Things have changed. I have met a wonderful man here who is actually a couple years older than me and we are starting something special. Age is not a consideration.

To be honest about it I don't think it should but that's me

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121260
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.