Agnostic.com

39 7

Do you celebrate 4th of July or is it just another ordinary day to you?

EmeraldJewel 7 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What does the 4th of July have to do with religion, or having no religion? Why would you even ask such a question? I went and watched (actually video) the fireworks.

For me it was a nice break. I had it as a paid day off and I did work a bit just to be ahead of the game today, but in general I was lazy....

EXCEPT...

I got a new kitten 🙂

Good on you! Be sure to post pictures in Feline Fanatics group, or other pet lovers groups.

@HippieChick58 I joined feline fanatics! 😛 Thank you!

Celebrate losing one of our colonies temporarily? Nope! 😉

What? Did I miss something?

I'll go watch fireworks, but I wouldn't say it holds any special significance to me.

I'm in the UK, so no.

It seems a spurious reason to have a national holiday. Celebrating the severing of ties to the British Empire whilst imposing colonialism on a previous culture (Native Americans). Double standards.

Gee... British colonies in Africa, colonization of India, the British Empire once had a shoot to conquer the whole world. Seriously??... Is India allowed to celebrate severing ties with UK or is that a double standard too?

@IamNobody

Yes. I realise all of that.

I say the same about the UK too.

@Ellatynemouth fair enough... Let's call it a day

I was into it as a kid, because it was fun to blow up shit with M80s and shoot off Roman candles. As an adult, no not really.

I get together with my sister to watch fireworks and remember our brother (he always got us together on the 4th). This year I was also invited to a cookout at a friend's house. So, it is just another day, but with more invitations...

I get together with some friends. We have a nice cookout, drink a lot of beer and when it gets dark we light a bunch of fireworks.
Fireworks or not, it's still a good time with my friends.
We live pretty far away from most people, so we aren't scaring any one, or dogs and such.

We celebrate

I do. I like history and love this country

Love the 4th!

In our area it's a time to huddle with our dogs who are always traumatized by fireworks...

R1LEY Level 2 July 5, 2018

I've grown a bit weary of fireworks. I used to love them, but was at a local fireworks in 2010 when a young man in his 20's was killed helping the crew set off the mortars; he leaned over too far and one hit him in the head as it launched. I haven't been to one since. There's nothing patriotic about any of it anyway; just a big, noisy platitude.I just don't care about them any more.Or Independence Day, for that matter. Sure, I'm glad a group of men got together and declared our independence from England, but if Jefferson, Hamilton, Madison, Paine, both Adams', Bartlett, Franklin and others saw us today, they'd be blown away by our technology, but, I think, ashamed of how ignorant so many of our citizens are; but I digress.And fireworks really frighten the dogs...'nough said.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:122806
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.