Agnostic.com

55 7

What non-materialistic things do you do to increase your happiness?

I've recently started a journey to increase my overall happiness. This tends to increase with experiences over purchasing things. Curious what some of the great members of this community do to increase their happiness?

CharlesH 4 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reading and cooking. This is going to sound crazy, because it doesn't increase happiness immediately, but cleaning also increases my happiness in the long run. Having a clean, organized home really reduces a lot of stress.

Agreed on the cleaning observation. I occasionally have a movie night at my house (theater seats 21) so I work tirelessly to clean the majority of the house to accommodate a small crowd. After they leave, It is wonderful to have an organized house. . . sadly as I am constantly working on projects, the organization quickly falls into disorder.

@NoMagicCookie same. I host my book club every couple of months as incentive to stay on top of things...

Absolutely!!! I am miserable and grouchy if my house is messy.

Snorkeling. My wife and I love tropical reefs. Used to scuba but alas, BP Pills ended that for me.
Hiking. Especially in unknown areas. Last we did was the Amazon Jungles and Machu Pichu.

Beautiful music, beautiful scenery, cuddling grandchildren, stroking cat, close friends, great wine, italian food........and so on ad infinitem! ?

Journaling daily, biking, and making music. Not necessarily in that order. Oh, and writing comedy. Good to laugh at life.

I like the comedy writing idea, thanks!

Spot on. Possessions do nothing to increase happiness. Having suffered from depression in the past I make a point of focusing on experiences that increase my happiness and mental health.

Here's my list, in no particular order:
Cooking, Travel, Coaching and mentoring younger staff at work, Hiking, Homebrew, Making love, Hanging out with friends, Reading, Jogging, Music (singing and listening)...

Sing karaoke with friends at various places as often as possible. Play with my dogs.

Ok, since someone else in this thread said "a good sex session with my wife," I'll say it: Masturbate. LOL!

I bought a guitar... hoping I could/would teach myself to play for my own pleasure...
... still may get around to it, but... now shopping for for a keyboard... or a "tenor" sax... thinking I could be the next Lester Young... just thinkin increases my happy.

Tomas Level 7 July 6, 2018

I enjoy reading on a variety of topics.

Drawing. Going outside. Gardening. Crochet. Listening to music.

sc62 Level 5 July 5, 2018

Play music, sing, draw, read and having discussions.

Playing music, drawing and reading require materials/tools sooo maybe those don’t count, but they do increase my happiness(even though I usually have to feel inspired first to do them).

I seek cognitive consonance.

skado Level 9 July 5, 2018

I give.
And it brings me much happiness.
I volunteer, but I also do little random acts of kindness. I like to help and encourage others to smile.
I wish you much happiness on your journey.

Travel. Full stop.

Just travel. Around the world. Around the country. Around the city. Even around the block.

Just travel.

Ozman Level 7 July 5, 2018

I don't really need to increase my happiness. I'm pretty happy by myself. But there are lots of things I do to take care of my happiness.

Does music qualify?

Excersice of any kind. There is weightlifting, running, walking, bicycling. It doesn't need to be crazy, and you don't need to be super in shape. Just moving/being active is better for you and helps to readjust brain chemicals to release more of the feel good stuff (i.e. dopamine, seratonin, and other things like that).

Spend time in nature... Among trees, next to lakes, being present and watching the "unseen" world of flora and fauna go about their daily business.

I walk, read, do yoga.

Here are my guidelines which have enabled me to live a long, active, diverse, satisfying, and joyful life.

I live, appreciate and treasure each moment without expectations about what's ahead.

I live each day reflecting on my yesterdays to see if i need to learn anything for joyful and satisfying tomorrows.

I live each day in a way which ensures that when i look back, it will have been exactly as i needed it to be. So now, after 50 years of adulthood, I can look back at all my yesterdays to reminisce about how much i appreciated and enjoyed them.

And i'm not done yet. LLOL

Walking the dog puts us both in a good mood

Loving above all else. Loving all others as your brother or sister in your human family, Loving each and every individual as the unique person that they are, Loving each and every person as a friend and strive to do or cause no harm.

Drives in the country increase my happiness.

I peddle my bicycle on and off of paths.

I read science and geography journals.

I socialize with friends.

I play my ukulele and write songs. I also host a weekly open mic.

I help people fight their traffic tickets (California only).

I ride my bicycle on the bike path at the beach.

I hang out with friends.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:123496
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.