Agnostic.com

53 8

Do sacred sites move you?

When traveling, do you still find yourself in awe of cathedrals and sacred sites? While I haven't the least desire to pray or worship, I am still awestruck and stand in wonder when exploring these spaces. I recall moving through the dim ambulatory of Notre Dame in Paris, taking in the incense, hearing the chior, watching the dancing shadows from the flickering flames of the candles dance across all the statues and arches and thinking to myself how mystical it was. It's no wonder that some people could be taken in by it, especially hundreds of years ago. It surely was magical. I also was dying to go inside La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, but sadly, we only toured the outside, which was groundbreaking and stunning, as well. I must get back there! I'm curious about my fellow atheists and agnostics, though. What say you?

• 35 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 74 votes
Lunashadow 5 July 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only if they have beautiful women draped over them !

Architecture is art. Some art moves me.

I have simultaneous feelings of "wow - how beautiful and ornate" and "yuck - how ostentatious and manipulative." In my atheist head I feel like I'm reliving the battles between Catholics and puritans. My inner artist loves it. My inner social reformer doesn't..

I marvel at their beauty and grandeur, and the fact that both the design and creation of these sometimes magnificent buildings was by man’s hand. They may have been inspired by a belief in god but that doesn’t detract from their beauty.

I am typically impressed by the architecture, amazed when I think about the persistence toconstruct many such structures over years-long periods of construction. Also, the craftsmanship in the stone work and the knowledge that all this was creaed withoug modern machinery, yet they were able to build huge structures that are truly marvels. As for such sites as spiritual monuments, I look on them with an eye toward broadening my understanding of all the people who went before us and thte influence they still have over billions of people. People ages ago sought understanding of the world around them just as we do today, but they were acting out of strong consideration of their mystical and intuited knowledge, much of which has either disappeared of most of the information about the world that, thanks to science, has become the bedrock of most common perspectives on the world. We have our modern-day "sacred sites" as well, but that is subject for a much longer, philosophical/cultural discussion.

I should have read through the thread before voting. I assumed "sacred sights" was interpreted a lot more broadly. Ancient ruins, history, natural wonders...can move me. Auschwitz was very moving. Returning to the 170 year old county church I grew up in is moving bc all the awesome memories.

I've enjoyed some architecture tours that included old churches, but that's not "moving".

I find that such structures are moving but not in a spiritual way. I am awestruck by the ingenuity and will of a people to design and build such structures. Many of which have a haunting Beauty about them.

Yes! Haunting beauty! That’s a perfect way to put it! It is a bit unsettling.

@Exterminis It just means that great minds think alike

Sacred is a relative term. Sacred or Special to a religion, absolutely not. Special to me, like my childhood home or memories, then yes, absolutely.

@BeckyB those are sacred. : highly valued and important

the only place I ever found moving that way was the Black Hills of South Dakota.

Yes. If you think of the history that took place in these places how can you not be awestruck or moved in some way.

I am usually awed by their beauty not their sacredness. I can't help but think that most of these beautiful buildings were created on the backs of the downtrodden or poor and usually for the richest and most powerful of societies.

Their "sacred" designation is laughable, I have no respect for any of that nonsense.
The architecture is what interests me.

I like to be open to the atmosphere in both man-made places and special sites of nature. I've been to Stonehenge, and was moved by how difficult it would have been to build those thousands of years ago. I've seen the insides of many grand churches, and the stillness and the space always moves me. I've been to Montserrat in Spain, a holy mountain and pilgrimage site, and that was pretty awe-inspiring.

Moving is definitely the wrong word for me I can appreciate the art and beauty and grandeur of it all . I think what it all represents spoils any magical feelings I could ever get

They are historically and architecturally interesting, with amazing art, but the cathedrals, mosques, temples, castles and such make me sad when I reflect on how many slaves/serfs/etc must have died to build these monuments to power; all the money that was spent that could've actually helped the people these structures were built to worship in.

JenAnn Level 6 July 21, 2018

I don't know; for me, I'm more awestruck or moved by hallowed ground, such as the Little Bighorn Battlefield site. Or just being in nature.

Give me a mountain with no-one around every time. That is more 'sacred' than any known place anyone could mention.

There are a lot of really beautiful churches. I like to soak up that beauty—experience it without thought or judgment.

Then I like to think about the beautiful people who built those churches and those who attend. I am at odds with the creeds of most of them. I think they are mistaken in some of what they teach, but yet there is a core essence that I value and respect.

"yet there is a core essence that I value and respect." The "core" essence of the Abrahamic religions is that there exists a God, that it demands worship and obedience, that it loves us and that if you do not love it back, it will punish you and condemn you to burn in hell for eternity.

@jlynn37 So far as creeds go, the basic tenet of Christianity is that Christ died for my sins, and if I believe and repent I will go to heaven when I die. If I don’t I’ll go to hell.

The core essence that I was talking about has to do with awareness, appreciation, and gratitude for the grand mystery of life and our place in reality as consciously aware beings.

Im deeply moved by the history and Beauty that can be a part of them.

I could write a book on this................................but I won't 🙂

If I am in a cathedral and a famous tomb is there I can be moved by the architecture, the will and determination of those that built it, the splendour, the history, the moment in time but nothing god(s) related. The 'moving' is my own personal take on it, it's not an external spiritual influence

The design can. The ambiance can. Both large and small.

Living in Europe for ten years growing up, I was in more impressive cathedrals than I can remember. They were not moving in the sense that I felt a religious epiphany, but I was moved by the architecture and the thought that many generations had a hand in the planning and construction of these buildings. I felt much the same way at Greek and Roman ruins, German castles and pictures of Inca and other South American structures. The craftsmanship of these buildings with, what at the time were rather primitive tools, is amazing.

I feel transported in time ...when i used to eat the fruit , chicken , wine etc that believers used to leave int the altar ... thanks to them i had food ...they always left it for them gods ..., was it me ?

I have become jaded after 50 years of travel. I am not the slightest bit interested in the inside of any church, all I can think about are the poor that might have been fed or other good done if all that wealth hadn't been pissed away on such bullshit.

I find nature much more moving and have nearly knelt as if I’m prayer on my first sighting of a whale.

I can appreciate the artistry and architectural achievement that went into them, but it saddens me that it was all under the control of, and motivated (either sincerely, or forcibly) by religion, in many cases. My ex and my daughter just returned from Europe where they toured many of these sites in Italy, Greece, and France.

That is a sentiment I can concur with. Someone in the feed calling them "hauntingly beautiful" and I think that fits them best.

I love old churches and cultural religion. One of the things on my bucket list is to attend this huge Muslim ceremony and celebration called Ed Al-Fitir. I saw it on Travel Channel it was in the middle east and was amazing to watch. I also want to go to Japan and participate in one of their shrine temple celebrations. Appreciating beauty and culture even when it's religious, isn't bad. It means you're worldly

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:124503
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.