97 8

Sin or not, if yes, why?

Why does every religious person say masturbation is a sin when there's noting written about it in the Bible and why would it be a sin if God designed me like this (so I have cravings) and also God gave me the possibility of pleasure? Answer this

By Manka77
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

97 comments

There is no god. There is no sin.

Donotbelieve Level 8 July 20, 2018

^^^ This!

There is no sin. There is only projection and attempts at controlling others by making people feel bad about themselves.

dokala Level 6 July 20, 2018

I know of the Bible but I don't believe there is a God so I guess you're good to go.

Sheannutt Level 9 July 20, 2018

Im surprised no one got this one yet. Masturbation is a sin from a biblical basis based on the story of Onan. He was supposed to marry his brothers wife to give her children after his brother died, instead he spilled his seed on the ground and disobeyed god. So short answer: because a lot of early jewish law was designed to make sure they multiplied and some guy decided fucking his brothers widow was too creepy.

This only explains why they would think that male masturbation is a sin though, and when they discourage women from doing it its probably more about not harboring any lustful or impure thoughts, or similarly saying youre not allowed to cum unless youre trying to make more christian soldiers. Thats your one n only reward for doing so and if you discovered and took control of your own sexuality we’d have nothing left to hold over you.

So yeah in short who cares? But since you asked thats more or less where it came from. Pun intended.

Wurlitzer Level 7 July 21, 2018

Well said man, Thank God I haven't spent much time thinking about the bible lately, but female masturbation is never mentioned.

Women get a free pass on ringing Satan's doorbell.

@educatedredneck The Bible was written by men. I guarantee they neither knew nor cared whether women had pleasure in sex; let alone what women and girls did in private.

I love asking Christians whether they have heard the wonderful tales of Onan. I have yet to have one who even knows there's an Onan in the bible. It's one of my favorite stories

Sin doesn’t exist....it’s a religious construct! Whether the bible mentions it or not is immaterial and no point in wondering about a god who doesn’t exist either. The reason religions frown on it is because they use it as a means of exercising control. All religions are obsessed with sex and sexual practices....the insistence that priests in the Catholic Church are celibate is just another example of control, even of their own clergy. Repressed sexuality is probably what caused so many of them to molest children,...better that they engaged in masturbation than that.

Marionville Level 8 Nov 19, 2018

Good response.

We're pulling for you pal.

Sticks48 Level 8 July 21, 2018

LOL!

"Sins" are just as ridiculous and fallacious as religion and gods.
All are to be rejected, derided, and ridiculed.
And disregarded.

KKGator Level 9 July 20, 2018

Because it's just a scare tactic to make you feel guilty and ashamed. There is nothing wrong with you masturbating.

DivyneMsM Level 2 Dec 2, 2018

Sorry but I did not realize agnostics believed in sin. You truly seem concerned about this. I'm hoping you are not riddled with guilt and shame. The answer is simple. Remove the word sin from your entire life. The condition of sin is a construct of human clerics designed to be imposed on ignorant populations as a tool for maintaining their submission and intensify the clerics power.

bgnostic Level 3 Nov 17, 2018

I would argue that since sin is defined as an offense against god, it is impossible for anyone to sin, especially a bunch of atheists.

Sgt_Spanky Level 7 Nov 10, 2018

When I was a child, my religiously zealous father asked me if I did that and made a point to remind me that it was a sin.

I think Puritanical religion back in the day began the idea that any kind of sexual desire was sinful, especially for women.

Darla_Ann Level 5 Aug 9, 2018

I think the idea of a father grilling his daughter about her sexuality is much creepier than masturbation...

I don't recognise the premise of sin to start with so if i want to crack one off I couldn't give a shit what some biblical twat thinks smile001.gif

ipdg77 Level 8 July 20, 2018

Now now, be fair there are biblical twats, assholes and other variants. Gotta be PC and inclusive in condemning the delusional.

Religious leaders suppress sex. Horny people will work harder for the church.

nicknotes Level 7 July 20, 2018

Sin is a religious concept. To some eating bacon or shrimp or beef is a sin. Ridiculous. And who cares what the Bible says or doesn't say about masturbation? That same book demeans women and endorses slavery. It has no place in a modern society.

Alone Level 6 Nov 19, 2018

This song may help... 😁

Source:
MattCooper Level 5 Nov 15, 2018

Perfect!

Sin, as defined by whom? If it feels wrong and it hurts someone...don't. However, if it feels good, and it harms no one...by all means.

DavidinOC Level 4 Nov 8, 2018

Because religious people are seriously dysfunctional!!!

Healthydoc70 Level 6 Aug 4, 2018

No sin, because there's no god to sin against. Fini.

evergreen Level 8 Aug 4, 2018

It's not a sin. Joy is our birth-right, just ask any autonomous nervous system.

Deveno Level 7 Dec 29, 2018

Sin? What is sin?

GeorgeRocheleau Level 7 Dec 29, 2018

I don't believe in sin. Sin is when you're having fun and someone wants to have the power to take away your fun. If it doesn't hurt anyone else it is fine by me.

HippieChick58 Level 9 Dec 2, 2018

No. It's natural and one of the few pleasures in life that are neither toxic, expensive, fattening nor time-consuming.

I think the religious call it a sin because they know the guilt of believing that will stress your brain, make you hate yourself as unworthy, thus more likely to be on your knees begging for forgiveness on a regular basis for your imperfections.

MLinoge Level 6 Dec 2, 2018

Well said.

sin is made up to control people there is nothing wrong with self pleasure the Bible is a nothing but a horribly written book of fiction

Jsands Level 5 Nov 18, 2018

I agree on all 3 points.

It’s just another way for religion to control people. There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s natural and healthy.

Susan74 Level 4 Nov 16, 2018

I was curious about your motivation for this question. Are you trying to help a "believer" with their emotional and theological problems? From your profile it would appear that you do not believe in god/gods and so their definitions of sin would logically be irrelevant to you. I believe the culture you live in can affect you emotionally. Are you affected and seeking to resolve emotional conflict?

My tuppence worth: I believe they say that God/gods created humans with the ability to make choices between the right way and the "sinful" way. As other people answering your posting have made points about various points of scripture and interpretations, it is generally taken that the religious would rather have people using sexual urges for procreation in a "married relationship". To discourage non-procreational masturbation, they define it as a sin. Albeit with not much explicit detail about it in the scriptures.

If you enjoy it, or want to enjoy it. Do not let me nor sin deter you.

Best wishes. 🤗

Treasurehunter Level 6 July 23, 2018

I definitely am an atheist. I was only wondering, if believers say God made us and we are the perfect creation (as His creation is perfect) then why would He give us the POSSIBILITY of pleasure at all? If he's in control. Why don't religious people think that if we were made in a way, we were automatically allowed to do it?

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!