Agnostic.com

19 6

I love when I hear christians sing or talk about the song "Hallelujah" as a religious song. If you know the lyrics it is Clearly agnostic.

Bearded_Bard 4 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know there are tons of verses and versions (Pentatonix is my favorite, I feel like they used all of the Biblical references that I actually UNDERSTAND as relevant), and to me it's all about relationships and lust so no matter what version they're singing, I always think it's odd when you hear little kids singing it! 🙂

I always think it is about how lust can lead you into terrible trouble....David & Bathsheba? Samson & Delilah? Troubled at best!

Seems like it's about sex and relationships. Having love before, but losing it.

I don't care. I just like the song. Hard to believe I first heard it on Shrek.

Love, sex, loss, confusion, emptiness done with a lot of judeo/christian references. All I know is I tear up every time I hear it. Even if I don't want to.

I thought you were referring to the “Hallelujah” Chorus from Handel’s Messiah.

I've always thought this song was about a relationship that had ended or was on the verge of ending. My favorite lyric is, "All I ever learned from love is how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya." Powerful song.

My favorite version is be the late Jeff Buckley:

I loved Grace. I still listen to it

nothing religious about it

I feel the same way and I was thinking something was wrong with me... now I dont.

Agnostic! Here I always thought it was about sex.

Actually it is about life and the joy of living it even at its worst. but sex is a big part of life. My favourite version is this one sung by the Canadian gravel throated Poet Laureate:

I like the song-it is about struggle.

I always think it is about how lust can lead you into terrible trouble....David & Bathsheba? Samson & Delilah? Troubled at best!

I think Handel was a Mason. His Hallelujah chorus was definitely Humanist. (Crack of thunder and trumpets from above).

I best know Beethoven's 9th as a kid in church; they hijacked the music for the hymns.

godef Level 7 Jan 8, 2018

Thank you so much for actually making me look at the lyrics. I've always just written it off and never let it into my actual mind. I like it.

Was it written before or after he became a Buddhist?

Although I don't know the lyrics (why didn't you post a link to them? grr), the title is very religious. lol This is a "walks like a duck" kind of issue for me.

@MrLizard ha ha

And a really good song

Lenard Cohen, I love that song, my fave version.

That's an amazing version.

Certainly one of the best versions if not the best. Truly one of my favorites.

The only problem with Cohen's version is he basically talks through most of it. Pentatonix is great but they cut a lot of the verses. So little column A little column B

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13577
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.