Agnostic.com

184 25

What if you are wrong and there IS a god

Im atheist . And I get asked this often . Was curious to know other non believers answer to this . Without getting into to much detail my answer is simple. If I am wrong and im hell doomed for not believing then thats fine with me . Maybe hell is where I belong . Because there is just to many things in the bible itself I can't justify . Too many evilness . God murdered o don't know how many people including kids . He tortures gay people . Ect. I will not bow down before such an evil being . I also have questions for him as well. One being why has remain hidden ? Why did he leave behind no evidance of his existance? And even more confusing leave more evidence of him NOT existing and then throw us in flames for eternal torment for not believeing him ? If he does exist we have a mad man on charge and we should all be fearful of this lunitic . So send me to hell god because I would never follow you anyways

DavidDeLa89 6 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

184 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I been wrong before. End of the discussion.

What if theists are wrong and find there is a god but it's not their God? Oops. Well, when you choose one God from about 3,000 invented human gods, let's face it, the odds aren't good.

worry about your life

Then I am wrong.

1 there is no rational or reasonable reason to think that there is anything supernatural in our universe. 2 anyone who sarts a sentence with ' If there is a god......' should be challenged with this question 'if there is a cyclops unicorn that created us.......'. 3 There is literally an infinite amount of things which are just as unlikely to be as true as things like god, or the cyclops unicorn. You will not have time to worry about all of them.

When asked this silly question I tell them is go and walk into the open arms of the dark Lord Satan because their God is a psycho.....then I giggle

Que sera sera........

The funny thing is, there will never be a way to either prove or disprove God so it doesn't matter what anyone believes, it is what they do. You do not have to believe in God to be a good person, but you certainly can be a very bad person and say you believe in God. Right Donald Trump, et. al?

jeffy Level 7 Jan 9, 2018

Oops

Actually, I don't really care. I do NOT want to spend an eternity with those idiots.

Lol ya i don't either

When a Christian asks me this, I always ask them, "what if you're wrong? If the Muslims are right, then you're screwed. Should't you convert to Islam, just in case they're right?"

I would have to agree with my counselor on that in the idea that the comment was made to bait you, people want to be right and thats in general. A lot of people are insecure and unsure about a lot of things. I kind of think right now of something I might have said some time back cause of my own anger issues i would call out fundamentalist with various facts. I might go farther, what if i am wrong, what if were both wrong and there is a god but the god is nothing like you think it is. Bringing up various tidbits of information to frustrate and annoy them due to anger within me. I practice now and the keyword is practice to not engage. I think there is a buddhist however its spelled story about if a gift given is not accepted then who does the gift belong. Meaning practice not to accept their bait and get into their game. I practice keeping my peace

The odds are so utterly remote that I will take my chances. I will not have wasted so much of my life with false myths.

What if you are wrong as a christian what if the one true God is odin ?

Dawkins’ response is best:”What if you’re wrong about The Great Ju Ju at the bottom of the sea”.

l'd ask him/her one question. WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?

nogod Level 7 Mar 28, 2019

I'm a Buddhist. So I know exactly what to do if I find myself in Hell. That is -- find someone carrying a big rock and say, "Let me carry that rock for you today, while you sit down and take a rest." Hell is a state of mind, not a physical location. Similarly, God is a projection of the human mind. Those qualities that we attribute to a god, love, peace, happiness, justice, truth, health, etc are qualities that we can nurture in our own minds.

Your post here is the ONE reason l say, If anybody has it right, the Buddhists are the closest.

Depending on MY mood, i ignore,laugh, roll my eyes, and sometimes I say something..

Eric ensures there is no god.

If there is A God or Multiple Gods, I can explain to them that I had not found sufficient evidence to support belief in their existence, nor did anyone heed my pleas to communicate or help.

Additionally, if there is a single God who is omniscient, then I cannot have free will and only performed the functions I was given. I was also born with a condition known as Oppositional Defiance Disorder, or in layman's terms an innate distrust, distain, and rebelliousness towards authority, and I was also born with a heavy inclination towards logic and naturaistic definitions. Thus again, my programming is such that I'd be an atheist for any reason, exept for evidence or divine revelation.

I did have a crisis of faith in my youth and in looking at other religions, sitting in their places or worship and monitoring them, reading their scriptures, and seeing how their faithful act, I was also convinced in a lack of belief of any gods for another reason. A God who commands what people cannot do, yet does nothing but sit idly by while they kidnap, rape, murder, destroy literature and art, and waits until they die to punish them eternally, is not a loving parent, but a veangful judge, jury, and executioner. If I was to believe the faithful that God revealed himself to some, but not others, and only in uncorroborated, or contradictorily corroborated events, then God dispays a lack of wisdom, morality, or foresight that would still disprove the existence of any god. It would only prove there is someone with supernatural powers, and their lack of doing so in modern times, would show us evidence that they no longer live.

Also, my living a good and moral life for the sake or me wanting to be a positive influence on this world, and helping people through honestly, compassion, and lawfulness should be enough to it me in anyone's good graces, and if it isn't enough, then they aren't morally worthy of my consideration either. I'd probably spend eternity attempting to overthrow them. I couldn't suffer eternity with an immoral monster in charge, no matter how good I am. In fact, it would be my inherent goodness that would drive me to betray an immoral god or gods.

So to summarize, my lack of belief in any gods is emotional, physical, logical, moral, genetic, and truthful. If I'm wrong, then I only take responsibility for what I've done, and not predetermined data I have no control over. Same as if you got to an afterlife and entrance to the next step was barred because you're a natural blonde, or left handed.

Keita Level 5 Feb 6, 2019

Your response comes across a little angry and defensive. Instead just ask them, "What if you are wrong and there is no God and you wasted all of that time for something that wasn't real?" or ask them, "If you are on the edge of a cliff and both of your children are about to fall off to their death and you can only save one, which would you choose?"

All my friends would be with me so that's fine. Warm weather and BBQ I'm alright with it.

I’ll admit I was wrong. We could all believe if just one thing happened. JUST SHOW UP!

I can’t force myself to believe in something without evidence. It’s just the way I’m wired. If there is a god, than he created me like this, so I have nothing to fear.

The way I see it if God does exist then he is either malevolent or ineffective! If he is omnipotent and chooses not to act to save children or remove mistakes such as pedophiles, rapists and murderers then he is malevolent! If he is not omnipotent then he is simply an alien being, more advanced perhaps, but definitely not to be worshiped! It's irrelevant though, I'm not wrong and even if I was I completely refute the idea that a deity would be interested in attendance! Any god that needs to be worshipped would surely appear in the sky and demand such! ?

I'd want nothing to do with the sadistic and irrational bastard. Mostly that's in the case of the Abrahamic god being the one we are hypothesizing to be real. I won't cover if it's Marduk, Ganesh, Mithra, Ra, Odin, Jupiter, or any of the thousands of others that man has also invented, just because I'm less familiar with their mythologies than I am with the Christian mythology. His offer to save us from eternal torture in a place of his creation smacks of narcissism and a truly diseased pattern of thought. No loving god would have created a place like that, nor would he insist on torturing people eternally for decisions made in an absolute vacuum of evidence to base those decisions on. Nor for the "crime" of taking his name in vain, or getting some work done on a particular day of the week. Allowing himself to get killed "for us" isn't really much of a sacrifice if he knows that he's god and he is going to come back to life after a couple days.

Since what they are offering you is a shortened version of Pascal's Wager, the most common response is that if there IS a god, there's no real way to know which one - the evidence supporting the existence of any one god is exactly as convincing as the evidence supporting every single one of the thousands of other gods: some kooky people wrote down some stories about a really powerful being that is in charge of some or all aspects of reality.

They can't all be right, since the overwhelming majority of them are mutually exclusive, so the better conclusion is that none of them are right.

What proof do you have that Odin is not the one true god? Whatever reason you can come up with is an equally good reason for me not believing in your god. If I've got to believe in something over a god, I'll pick reality - It's the only thing we know is there.

Well put, creationist would have us believe that the world was created by the wish of a magical Being 6000 years ago. But what about the dinosaurs that went extinct 6 million years ago or the fact that civilizations have been around for tens and thousands of years fossil records the fact scientist has proven that the Earth is more than a billion years old at least. Indeed we would have to deny reality to believe in any entity or deity.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13924
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.