Agnostic.com

10 0

I've been a dedicated atheist for 9 years now.
However, I was raised (read: indoctrinated) believing in god and jesus and heaven, ad nauseum. I reject all that now.
However - something in me hopes that heaven, or something like it - an afterlife, if you will - is a reality. Logic dictates that it is not, but I hold the hope. Perhaps because I lost my son and I would wish him a second chance at a better life than the one he had.
Is anyone else here an atheist who hopes heaven is for real?

Soquilii 4 Jan 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I also lost my son and yes I would. I so much want to hold him in my arms.it is such a comforting thought something to look forward too. some time I wonder if religion might have been created from the fear of dying and other unknown. I do feel the same way

I can't believe in heaven, however I know exactly how you feel. I have found it very difficult to come to terms with my Fathers death, but the old man was an absolute non believer he now lives on our hearts and memory and thats as it should be. Sad to read about your son.Kind regards Wolfbat (Gary) x

OH yeah, I totally hope I'm wrong. A chance to see Dad again? Sign me up. There are times when emotion overcomes intellect. But I right the ship pretty fast.

It's very understandable to have such thoughts, being mortal beings. I wouldn't criticise anyone for hoping that. In my own case I prefer not to entertain such ideas because it makes me feel better. I like to remain rooted in reality.

What we are, passes on. We touch those we love, we leave behind traces of our existence that often soon vanish. But I believe nothing is ever truly lost, the energy moves on. We get to step into time, and dance, for a while, But the dance is neither us, nor not us. The drops of water are not the river, but what is the river if not drops of water?

I don't think Heaven, as portrayed in the Bible, actually exists. But I don't think the life that stirs within us, needs to have this one and only body to shine. Sure, I won't be me, but maybe it's cool to be ash that flies in the wind.

Your post is pure poetry.

Hope is one thing; expectation is another. Having lost your son, your hope for him to have an afterlife is rational.

Why not, its a nice thought. I don't believe it but I've been wrong before. Sometimes I feel the presence of loved ones who have departed, I feel they are watching over me. Totally irrational and contrary to what I believe...but its a nice thought anyway.

As long as you think of him, picture him in you mind, he is with you.
Do not worry yourself with what ifs...
Be in the present and be happy to have the Memories you have, all of them.

We all have a survival instinct - so it's natural to hope that we survive past death. But I understand it isn't real & I don't really hope for it.
It's interesting to me that my whole life as a Christian (until college) I was always conflicted, in doubt, due to cognitive dissonance. Because at some level I always knew theism was complete bullshit. Once I shed that and realized what is real is what's real, I've never doubted it.
One thing that maybe makes death a bit less scary for me. How was my life 100 years ago? Well I wasn't alive at all. Is that tragic? Unfair? Terrifying? Do I hope that I was in heaven for thousands of years before I was born? Of course not. Why are we afraid that at some point in the future we will not exist, when we do not fear or doubt the fact that in the past we did not exist?

Don't dwell on it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14026
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.