Agnostic.com

24 6

What do you think of the positive thinking movement?

Does it benefit us and increase happiness? Or, is it an unrealistic way to view the world?

silvereyes 8 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Positive thinking has been proven - more than once - to influence health for the better. I thought this was common knowledge?

Positive thinking is good, as long as it is a part of looking at life realistically, and being willing to accept and deal with the bad.

@silvereyes. I admittedly did not visit those sites, but just from your quotes, I have these thoughts: The first quote refers to someone bowing to external pressure. It's self-explanatory why that is not positive thinking. Quote two: emotional denial by definition is not positive thinking either.

To me, positive thinking is climbing (evolving) out of angst, anger, and fear, and choosing to be positive instead of negatively reacting to stressors you can't control. I've watched lots of people's lives change by just altering their outlook and choosing to just let things slide.

Perhaps what I'm describing is not the entire manifesto of the positive thinking crowd, and may just be a small slice of it, but it certainly is life changing. Certain mindfulness practices and disciplines go quite far in re-wiring the brain to not react out of fear when a perceived threat registers.

Sorry for blathering; I hope I make sense.

@silvereyes - "High Five" to your your last sentence.

@silvereyes No, sometimes it is not. I don't mean that we should try to be positive all the time. Certainly, we should try to look our lives and the world honestly, to acknowledge and deal with the things that are dark and negative. We shouldn't try to fool ourselves. But sometimes we get in a state where all we see is darkness. At times like that, it can sometimes help ease the pain by reminding ourselves of the good things that are really there -- in an honest, realistic way.

@silvereyes Definitely no rose-colored glasses, or sticking one's head in the sand!

Is this a movement? I thought it was just something we always do/have done to move forward? Thinking positively is definitely way more healthy than thinking negatively and being sad all the time.

Sacha Level 7 Jan 10, 2018

From being younger, an Opti-aholic with his head in the sand wearing rose colored glasses.

Today I'm happier being open to dark and light, front and back , Yin and Yang and so on. Being aware and confronting problems allow me to gracefully work on solving them to bring to the positive light.

Ignoring the dark side of life brings a largest problem stricking your mastering circle. Then your circle shrinks when not delt with in the first place.

I can be delusional to a point, to be very very nice like a hard Religious, ... is dumb.

Positive thinking is a good thing, I think. But I like positive actions better. I'm a firm believer in Pay It Forward and I practice it quite often. Sometimes big things, sometimes small. But it always puts a smile on someone's face if only for a little while. And it puts a big old grin on my face. It's very rewarding!

I think extremes are counterproductive, but I'm unsure which extreme is worse. Being too pessimistic becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy; being too optimistic sets people up for failure and disappointment. I think people who tend toward moderate optimism, are self-confident, etc., are more likely to exercise healthy confirmation bias where they don't get discouraged by their unsuccessful attempts and continue to feel energized by the challenges of life. I think those of us who are slightly pessimistic serve an important role (in daily life, in work, etc.), however, in that we're looking for the pitfalls and compensating continually — but I don't think we're nearly as happy or content with life, though one could argue that we're better equipped to plan for and deal with hardship when it comes. So, uh, I guess my belabored answer is, "I don't know."

Not only do I find it unrealistic, but it feels fake.

Hmmm. I had tot think about this one. I like to try to keep myself happy by trying to look at the brighter side of things in life for my own well being, but rather in a realistic type of way.

I prefer being a horrible old miseryguts.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 10, 2018

I'm 50-50 on it.

Logically, because placebos work (and its been scientifically proven), positive thinking must work.

What irks me is the word "movement" - but that could simply be because I'm a cynical old git. 😛 But I can't dismiss it ( i.e. the "movement" ), especially if those that practice it find TANGIBLE benefits from it.

Just more of the same 'feel-good' bullshit that's been peddled for decades.

In controlled doses, I think it can be beneficial. Too much can cause an overly optimistic worldview that can lead to a long series of let-downs.

From personal experience over the last 7 months, changing from negative/angry attitude to happy has been a huge plus. I laugh more, smile more, and talk more with coworkers. Guess it depends on the person, but I've enjoyed the benefits of being more positive.

I think we had an earlier post on positive thinking. Not sure how to find it. Do you have any idea @silvereyes?

Is this the Norman Vincent Peale thing?

@silvereyes Many years ago I used to bike past Mable Collegiate on my way to work, I'd always look for the weekly pithy remark by Peale on their little letter board. On hot summer days, their little cemetery was a nice shady spot to take a break from sweltering Manhattan.

@silvereyes Some cyclist friends in Tulsa reported an epidemic of beer cans being thrown at them. But it looks like you have a lot of rights in Oklahoma. Pay attention to article 5. Put a GoPro on your helmet. Claim your space, signal you're turns and stops. Don't take any shit from anyone. In Oklahoma, bicycles ARE traffic and can never be said to impede or "clog" traffic.

A bicycle is a vehicle and bicyclists have the right to the road, and a duty to obey traffic laws, however some laws don't apply.

§47-1-104

A bicycle is a device upon which any person or persons may ride, propelled solely by human

power through a belt, chain, or gears, and having two or more wheels, excluding mopeds.

§47-1-186

A vehicle is any device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or

drawn upon a highway, excepting devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.

§47-11-1202

Every person riding a bicycle ... upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be

subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle ... except to those provisions of

this title which by their nature can have no application.

Examples of laws “which by their nature” can't apply:

1. Pedaling the posted speed limit is not possible for most bicyclists. After all it is a speed limit,

not a speed requirement. However minimum posted speeds may also be too high for

bicyclists and therefore ”by their nature” cannot apply. Most bicycles are not built for speed,

and neither are their riders.

1. Signaling continuously through a turn - a bicyclist requires both hands on the handlebars to

maintain control.

1. Bicyclists must ride on the right, but not always the far right.

§47-11-1205

A. Every person operating a bicycle . . . upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of

traffic ... shall ride as close as is safe to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except

under any of the following situations:

1. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;

3. When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions and while exercising due care, including but

not limited to:

a. fixed or moving objects,

b. parked or moving vehicles,

c. pedestrians or animals,

d. surface hazards, or

e. any time it is unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway; and

1. When riding in the right-turn-only lane.

Examples of when a bicyclist is not safe being far to the right:

1. The lane is too narrow for a bicyclist and motor vehicle to share side by side (see below

regarding the 3 foot safe passing law.)

1. Anytime it is unsafe to pass. See 47-11-303, 47-11-305, 47-11-306, all of which deal with

safe passing (overtaking) of another vehicle.

Essential Oklahoma Bicycle Laws - _1

1. There is bad pavement, debris, or a parked car at the edge of the roadway.

2. The bicyclist is making a left turn.

3. The bicyclist is going as fast as, or passing other vehicles.

4. Compare §47-11-1205 with §47-11-301 below. Bicyclists receive more leeway than motorists

when it comes to a choice between safety or absolute positioning in the lane.

1. Chapter 11 of the Oklahoma Drivers Manual states conditions when a bicyclist may use

the full lane for safety.

1. Bicyclists don’t impede traffic and riding single file may be all that is required if other traffic is present.

Bicycles don’t impede traffic, they are traffic. A bicyclist is not required to get out of the way of

motorists.

§47-1-177 Definition of Traffic

Pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, and other conveyances either singly or

together, while using any highway for purposes of travel.

§47-11-804

No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and

reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or

in compliance with law.

Example: A bicycle is NOT a motor vehicle. The statute specifically says operating a motor

vehicle at a low speed is impeding. A bicyclist at the same speed is probably giving it all he's

worth. His speed would be necessary for safe operation.

§47-11-301

B. Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time

and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane when

available for traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway and

may be temporarily driven upon the right-hand shoulder for the purpose of permitting other vehicles

to pass.

Example:

As stated in §47-11-1202, bicyclists have the same rights and duties as motorists. Motor

vehicles traveling slower than the normal speed of traffic (note, this is NOT the same as the

speed limit) are directed to use the shoulder to allow following vehicles to pass. Most roads in

Oklahoma don’t have shoulders, and §47-11-1202 does not require bicyclists to “go the speed

limit.” Also, §47-11-1205 (A) only requires as far right “as is safe.”

§47-11-1205

D. Persons riding bicycles ... upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast ... Persons

riding two abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable flow of traffic and, on a laned

roadway, shall ride within a single lane.

Example:

On a two lane road with following traffic present, it may be required to ride single file. While

single file seems courteous, both safe positioning in the lane and the 3 foot minimum safe

passing requirement still apply. Even when single file there may not be enough room to safely

Essential Oklahoma Bicycle Laws - _2

pass a bicyclist within the same lane. On a multilane road there is sufficient room to pass safely

in the next lane and bicyclists would not be required to single up. The passing motorist would

move into the next lane to obey the 3 foot minimum safe passing law and other passing

requirements as noted below.

1. Motorists may only pass when it is safe, and bicyclists must be given at least three feet of clearance.

§47-11-1208

A. When overtaking and passing a bicycle proceeding in the same direction, a person driving a

motor vehicle shall exercise due care by leaving a safe distance between the motor vehicle and

the bicycle of not less than three (3) feet until the motor vehicle is safely past the overtaken

bicycle.

Example:

See pages 11-2 and 11-3 of the Oklahoma Drivers Manual for guidance about safe passing of

bicyclists. See also §47-11-303, §47-11-305, and §47-11-306. It is illegal to pass against

oncoming traffic, on a hill or curve, on a bridge, and within 25 feet of an intersection. Often a

motorist will complain "I'm forced to pass" against oncoming traffic. Nothing requires a motorist

to pass a bicycle. In fact it is illegal to pass when it is not safe. A gray area is crossing a solid

center line when it is clear and safe to pass.

1. It is a felony to throw an item at a bicyclist.

§47-11-1111

A. No person shall willfully throw or drop any substance at a moving vehicle or any occupant

thereof.

C. Any violation of ... this section shall be deemed a felony...

Example:

As stated in §47-11-1202, bicyclists are granted the same rights as drivers of vehicles. At the

same time bicyclists are occupants of their vehicle and should not be the target of thrown

objects.

1. Vehicle equipment requirements do not apply to bicyclists.

§47-12-701

No provision in this chapter shall apply to bicycles or to equipment for use on bicycles . . .

unless a provision has been made specifically applicable to bicyclists, bicycles or their

equipment.

Example:

This statute requires specific limitations or requirements on bicyclists be defined, not assumed.

Turn indicators, side lighting, registration and licensing all apply to motor vehicles. This statute

exempts bicycles. However statutes §47-12-702 through §47-12-709 do require lights and

reflectors at night, and brakes. State law does permit local jurisdictions to "regulate" bicycling

(see number 8 below), and some cities have enacted bicycle registration requirements.

1. You have to obey the instructions of a police officer.

§47-11-103

No person shall willfully fail or refuse to comply with any lawful order or direction of any police

officer invested by law with authority to direct, control or regulate traffic.

§47-6-112 - License to be Carried and Displayed on Demand of Peace Officer

A. Every licensee shall have his or her driver license in his or her immediate possession at all

times when operating a motor vehicle and shall display the same upon demand of a peace

officer. Any person violating this subsection shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor

Example:

Often discussed is if an order is "lawful." In this context any order is lawful as it is the officer's

duty to control traffic (see Number 9 below). Under the US Constitution the legislative branch

creates laws, the executive branch enforces laws, and the judicial branch interprets laws. The

street is not the place to hold a legal debate. If you feel the officer is instructing you to do

something that is not legal or required, you still have to obey or accept the consequences. If you

feel strongly about the issue, allow yourself to be ticketed or arrested and have your day in

court. Alternately, you could comply with the order, get the officer's ID, and discuss the situation

with his command at a later date.

If you are involved in an accident or stopped for a traffic violation, you are required to identify

yourself (§47-10-104 A). While a motor vehicle operator’s license is not required to drive a

bicycle, you do have to be able to identify yourself to an officer’s satisfaction. Simply saying your

name may not be sufficient if he does not personally know you. A drivers license, state ID, or

other government issued ID is an easy thing to carry.

I think that people tend to move generally in the direction which their mind leads them. negative thinkers tend to self sabotage a great deal more than positive thinkers. peopel who expect the negative usually find it... and seldom find positive life experiences.

Nothing wrong with positive thinking and hoping for the best if you ask me.

I'm not into it at all. I try to hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

I think being positive can help the person being positive especially with health and people around you boost this. it can't hurt.

I'm POSITIVE! LOL

I like it and try to be positive about as much as I can. It makes me feel better and often spreads to those around me, and that's a good thing! 🙂

Being a depressive, sometimes a little positive thinking can help bring my mood back to normal. On the other hand, extreme positiveness and optimism can be shallow and even contemptible. We need to try and keep a balanced perspective. Positiveness can be good, as long as one stays realistic.

Not much caus I'm not positive

I don't know about the world, but coming with something positive about every situation keeps me aware of any biases I may be harboring...but when I feel negative, I let it out...usually on my kick boxing bag....or in a stream of epithets that would shame a shanghai prostitute...

It's noxious and corrupt. It's led by purveyors of pseudo science who use our desire to feel better as a way to make themselves exceptionally rich. It's also another great way of victim blaming. Are you suffering? Well, it's your fault for your negative thinking. Did something bad happen to you? Well, you probably "attracted" it.

If we're having as many as 50,000-70,000 thoughts per day, 35-48 thoughts per minute, how in the world are we going to keep all those "positive"? And what about the non-positive thoughts? What do we do with our grief? What do we do with fear, rejection, confusion. We can't "pretend" they're not there. Unless we meet them head-on, they'll kill our asses until the only way we know to cope is through chemicals, or excessive media binging.

Finding gratitude IN all things is a powerful way to approach life, but that doesn't mean blocking emotions that we don't want to have.

We also have a mind... a biologically oriented organism that works (and doesn't work) in ways that cannot always be controlled by us. With medicine we can mitigate some of the problems, but that is not always the case. We are products of a universe that goes to great lengths to allow for life, and even greater lengths to kill it.

Yes, positive attitude (Viktor Frankl, "Man's Search For Meaning", and other publications) has been shown to help us deal with life's crap.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14215
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.