Agnostic.com

19 4

...so if alien life does exist what does that do to all the creationists beliefs and religion in general? Will they just say... yeah, god created the aliens too.

Specman 6 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course. That's how we got Intelligent Design...

Who cares what they think?

You will when they're making the laws...

Maybe they're gods. Just ask the Mormons.

If they are creationists, who cares what else they would believe? They have found what makes them happy and most likely there would be no changing their minds. So wait till an Alien comes to earth before expecting them to change?
Strange, though, they believed in angels - certainly aliens. lol

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 13, 2018

Yes they will, First Jesus did not rise soon enough from the dead so they had to create the second coming Over two thousands years waiting for the second coming, they now say we are not ready,
If we hear of life from outside, it will of course be their jesus or what ever god. It is their inability to be rational

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 13, 2018

I’m sure there’s life on other planets and I imagine some of them have visited the earth. The universe is just to vast for us humans to be the only intelligent life in existence. I have no idea how the religious nuts would react if we were visited by aliens. They might say the aliens were created by the devil,

they won't believe it or say the devil's work. have you seen the film, Paul?

Loved that movie!

yes very good

How have I not seen this movie? I'll be back in a few hours...

your going to love it Jeff

You're trying to apply logic where it doesn't exist 🙂

How are they going to explain that earth was so important that the supreme being chose it for his demigod to the ET`s.

I remember speaking with one of those religious idiot, and I asked him what if we find out that there is at least one planet with intelligent life in the galaxy other than earth. His response " the devil will have created them." the Spanish priests and the church said the same things about the Natives in Central and South America when they encountered them. Their rationale was because the bible did not mention them, they must have been created by the devil, and that was their justification for murder.

Yes, don't they already think that their God created the universe, so why not every thing in it

IIRC, there have been at least one or two sects that believed in aliens, considered them "God's children too" and planned to spread the word of Christ among them. However, by the standards of things religious people do and believe in, that probably scored fairly low on the Weirdometer!

Jnei Level 8 Jan 12, 2018

A pastor at a church in Cle elum said there were dinosaurs on the ark. problem solved. They just make shit up as they go along.

That would pretty much likely be their conclusion.

Mainstream religion however would have to completely change in order to survive a discovery like this. Did Jesus save the aliens too? Are there Holy Bibles on other planets? Haha.
The apologetics would get so ridiculous and cause some major cognitive dissonance; Judaism, Christianity and Islam would collapse pretty quickly in my opinion.

It depends upon their means of transport, if the aliens arrive in a spaceship then the churches would call them devils, but if they just appear by tele-portation, like legend has it, the churches might welcome them saying 'It's the second coming'.

I am just saying this would be such obvious proof that religion is nonsense if aliens were discovered. But you're probably right, nothing will ever convince the mind of the True Believer, despite the piles of evidence against it. Evolution is a fact and actually DOES disprove a literal account of Genesis, yet millions still believe it anyways.

You underestimate the fervid ingenuity of the tre believer mind. They would create a way of making it fit with their current beliefs. Rad LeOn Festinger's WHEN PROPHESY FAILS.

Best wait until alien life is discovered to find that out. Anyone can speculate about it and it is just opinion.

Or they will claim God is actually an alien or something along those lines. The Mormons, Heaven's Gate and other groups have held similar beliefs.

Probably. It's easier to do that than to admit they're wrong about anything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:14638
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.