Agnostic.com

130 28

What’s the origin of your Agnostic.com name?

My name, bleurowz, is the name for my design/creative work. I love a blue rose, and so I took the words and put them together in a different way, and I’ve also created the below logo for myself.

But there’s more to this story. Sometime after a friend had asked me if I’d gotten the name from The Glass Menagerie -- I had to look it up, and this is what I found: “Jim calls Laura ‘Blue Roses,’ a mispronunciation of ‘pleurosis,’ the childhood disease that left Laura crippled. The name ‘Blue Roses’ turns Laura’s defect into an asset: her unusual qualities are seen as special rather than debilitating.”

I can’t make this stuff up.

bleurowz 8 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

130 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This life. It's the only one we get.

An ancient Greek traveller and geographer.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA. There is a distinct Pittsburgh dialect often referred to as Pittsburghese in which “Jag” is used a lot. Jag is roughly equivalent to jerk. It is used as a noun, as in “you’re a jag”, or in “jagoff”, as in “don’t be a jagoff”. It can also be used as a verb. Instead of saying “ARE YOU JERKING ME AROUND?!?!” you can say “ARE YOU JAGGIN ME!?!?”.

I don’t think I am a jerk, or I at least try not to be one....but....being a driven, self-aware, philosophical individual, an atheist, introvert and a socially inept engineer, I think I can come across as cold and overly analytical.

Heyna!

Hiking in Colorado where I decided to try and snap a photo of a marmot on the summit of every 14er in the State. It won't work because some of the summits are inaccessible to marmots but I got a few.

Here's one from Mt. Columbia.

That's probably the coolest backstory to a username ever ?

Love the marmot!

I love your story and much more interesting than mine. I have always been a huge fan of the French movie Amelie. In fact I am sure had I been born in France I would have been her. She is so much like me. The rest Matisse - is, of course, the French painter and since his wife's name was Amelie I just put them together.

Matisse is one of my favorite painters.

Crazy about that movie!

Jacar : a more phonetic spelling for "G'Kar," the character from Babylon 5 that performed the best philosophical soliloquies.

I'm distracted easily [i.imgur.com]

I was hungry for tacos when I created my profile. I hadn't even considered the religious term 'pastor' I only realized that when someone started a post about an AL Pastor as in Alabama Pastor.

In 'The Sirens Of Titan' by Kurt Vonnegut, one alien race was having a conversation with another in a different galaxy. They sent a robot with a message on an incredibly long journey. The robot's name was Salo, and the message said "Greetings".

Salo Level 7 Aug 3, 2018

I thought your name was a Pasolini reference.

@Hermit I had to look up Pasolini. That film looks a bit heavy going ?

@Salo It’s the most disgusting movie I’ve ever seen.

@Hermit yeh it sounds it. There may be a name change soon, poor robot didn't see that coming 😟

@Salo I like your name and I’m sure few people would associate it with that movie. I may even be the only one.

@Hermit that's reassuring cheers ?

This is actually kind of weird... I made it up in the late 90's when I was in college and wanted something original that had never been used. I used it for wizard characters in games... Funny thing is... in 2011, The name showed up in the video game Dawn of War II – Retribution I couldn't believe it... My made up name made it to a video game. LOL

I play drums in several bands, and have for many years...one year for Halloween, I dressed as the Grim Reaper, and people started calling me the Drum Reaper...LOL

Came across this little known historical figure once and liked him very much. As a science fiction buff, I thought it would be an appropriate avatar name for me.
Also c. 125 AD – after 180 AD were the best years of my life.
[en.wikipedia.org]

That was a good read I'm going to look into him more thanks 🙂

Mordant is a chemical fixative, usually of dyes, and since I hope that my ideas and thoughts will "stick" with people ...

It also has the double meaning, of a sharp / critical / biting quality, which I also embrace in the positive way of being memorable / provocative (hopefully not just irascible, although in my old age, I'm somewhat like that, too). So ... edgy, but in a good way.

There's also mordent, a musical term for a musical ornamentation focused on a particular note, which also happens to work for me.

Basically my goal is just to communicate clearly, and make a difference with my thinking.

A few years ago, i went to a butlins weekend which involved dressing up, and i decided to go as Eric Draven from the Crow. In the interests of accuracy, i bought an artificial crow for the costume, and he became the mascot for the group, with the name of Dave. I still have him, and Davethecrow has been my pseudonym/nom de guerre ever since.

My name is Christie.

Edwin Earl is my name, but only Mom called me "Edwin Earl" when she was upset with me and I was hiding. Otherwise, she called me Eddie. Others call me Ed. Ed Earl Ross was on my first social security card. Then, years later I saw "The Best Little Whore House" with Dolly Parton and Bert Reynolds. The sheriff, Bert, played Ed Earl. So, I started using EdEarl online. The movie was funny, but not one I've seen more than once or twice. Now, Groundhog Day is one that seems like I've seen a million times.

You have to ask?

@Morganfreeman Not amongst the NFU members here, but then they are likely the most intelligent as well.

Uhm, birth certificate?

I was trying to think of an Xbox live name that would get guys to stop asking "are you a girl? What's your name?"

It just kinda stuck to being my online name everywhere

It's a beautiful name.

@thislife thank you

It's my actual first and middle name. I was named after Darla from The Little Rascals/Our Gang, and my Granny gave me her middle name.

My first fishing boat.

Named after my favorite cat ever: Sydney. He was my soulmate.

Local history.

I'm originally from the area, I got that one.

“WhereYouThere” is a tongue-in-cheek slap directed at Ken Ham.

Before 911, I used another online name but got all kinds of messages and emails from middle eastern and eastern men wanting sex. I didn't realize the name I chose in 1996 when I first got online, was a name that meant I was horny. So a friend suggested I change my online name to something more positive in 2001 right after the disaster. I've used it since then and I'll stick with it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:146652
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.