Agnostic.com

130 28

What’s the origin of your Agnostic.com name?

My name, bleurowz, is the name for my design/creative work. I love a blue rose, and so I took the words and put them together in a different way, and I’ve also created the below logo for myself.

But there’s more to this story. Sometime after a friend had asked me if I’d gotten the name from The Glass Menagerie -- I had to look it up, and this is what I found: “Jim calls Laura ‘Blue Roses,’ a mispronunciation of ‘pleurosis,’ the childhood disease that left Laura crippled. The name ‘Blue Roses’ turns Laura’s defect into an asset: her unusual qualities are seen as special rather than debilitating.”

I can’t make this stuff up.

bleurowz 8 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

130 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I worked out at the military base my experience and being in charge of my own company for many years ended up with me being put in charge of Central supply and I was the magic man that made everything happen and made sure everybody had supplies and when anybody was hurt I would patch them back together eventually everyone started calling me doctor Moon and then one of the guys who later became my very good friend turned it into doctor Smash and the rest is history

It's an anagram for my name--basically just my last name, first name with a couple letters moved around.

I have used "inky tease" elsewhere in the past but didn't want to use anything suggestive here as I am "here for community" only.

I've been using this name for various accounts for about 10 years now and it's a blending of the name of the legendary monster, chupacabra and a deep fried burrito, chalupa. I enjoy word games and often employ them to sow confusion and aggrivation.

One of my two sisters introduced me here and she has chosen my name. I think sensi from sensitive. Probably she sees me like a sensitive woman, probably I am 😉

I LOVE the color pink. But I try to use it with other colors so I’m not one big flamingo lol. But it’s my favorite color and looks good on me.

My favorite Island in the country of my ancestors (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skye)....and I've been there a half dozen times....
Plus it also denotes just looking up and seeing the sky of Scotland....

I finished my BA in my 40s. My philosophy prof (who changed my life and made me understand beliefs and the lack thereof) knew I was also taking creative writing, gave me the name PoetD. It stuck, and I went to use it for a userid for my first online account (we're going back a ways LOL) but it required 6 characters, so it became Poetdi. Later the 56 (my birth year) was added as some systems required 8 characters. I've used it ever since, in honor of my late great philosophy professor. Thank you, Dr. L, for helping me shed my old beliefs.

Guess mine!

Marz is a pseudonym I typically use online in place of my last name. Influenced by the red planet, of course.

Marz Level 7 Aug 3, 2018

I'm nuts about birding..I am a bird and wildlife photographer in any free time I get.

Pic: young painted storks, lake south of Songkhla, Thailand.

Just gorgeous

Jello Wrestling in college. And after college. Um, and the weekends. Okay, okay, and lunch hour I sneak home and play in the jello in the tub.

It's my nickname.

Coldo Level 8 Aug 3, 2018

My clan in Scotland, I suppose we all could research the family tree and cherry pick a name we can associate with. I chose MacTavish because it sounds cool to me and I do have an actual connection to it.
Here's a joke about family trees:
Bob: I found out I'm related to King Henry The VIII!!
Joe: Congratulations, you and about 75000 other people are.

I'm a heathen that lives in the mountains. I am not creative.

Occupation/birth year

@Sticks48
What IS your occupation?

Jousting knight?

@LiterateHiker Professional musician ( drummer ) That is funny. There is a classical guitarist l know who actually jousts. He even brought in his jousting helment one night. He participates in jousting tournaments.

I'm a man, and i'm from Oz. 😉

Sorry, but that's it. The stories behind some of the other names I have been known by are much more interesting.

Ozman Level 7 Aug 3, 2018

IamNobody .... I have been around for a while now.
It has been really fun. The name is battle tested. I've heard almost every possible comment and question, therefore I got my money's worth. I gotta say, it has been an interesting challenge to explain there is a difference between the character and the real person behind it. It sounds pretty simple to say that they are not the same, but not everyone understands. Sometimes, the line between them gets thinner and the owner, unbeknownst to him, overrides the avatar..... The real purpose is to separate the ego from the thoughts, it works really well. Now, the individuals that have given me the great opportunity to have a conversation, for the most part they have been talking to the owner of the name.

Mine is my usual username. It's from an exchange in the unrecorded Doctor Who story 'Shada.'

First and foremost, I am a father. I gave my daughter the middle name of 'Nyx' as Nyx is the original Greek goddess born of Chaos. I've always considered myself as chaos incarnate, so it was a fitting name. Even more fitting as she was stillborn and luckily resuscitated, followed by the chaos of keeping her alive til her body could catch up and heal. Now she is freakishly strong, almost alwayd happy, and kicking ass. I'm a strong believer that when people learn the meaning of their name, they subconsciously migrate towards that.. And the goddess Nyx was a powerhouse, feared by even Zeus.

Also, I hope to sit down and "father" my model of the universe that centers around the order we see coming from raw chaos.

I had the user name of ms. chaos on one of the sites I used to visit.
there was a quote somewhere that goes like
"Surely you have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star"

Its like this here:

You don't want to know.

My first name is Paul and my last name begins with the letter D.

PaulD Level 5 Aug 3, 2018

I don't follow your logic. Lol. 😀

@thislife That’s ok, I can barely follow my own logic sometimes ?

My first name means butterfly in Greek, or so I was told. And no, I don’t believe everything I am told. ?

Mine references "At the Mountains of Madness" by H.P. Lovecraft. It hasn't a thing to do with my mental state.
Usually.

I didn't know if I'd stick around long; so I didn't put any thought into a clever, creative screen name.

JimG Level 8 Aug 3, 2018

You get one chance to change it. I had joined using my real name and changed it to my current one

@Lucy_Fehr I considered changing it to Reprobate. A nickname from a long time ago.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:146652
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.