Agnostic.com

45 7

What do you do for 'self' care?

When I'm feeling like I need an escape from the insanity of my day, I curl up with a good book, post on my blog, edit a script, brainstorm for a novel, record a podcast episode, read a comic book, or just meditate. These are examples of how I take care of my self.

How do you take care of your self?

aspiringunicorn 6 Aug 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yoga. Gym time. Eat as healthy as I can stand ( with occasional lapses ). EFT. Backyard safaris in my woods. Stick with positive company. Oh, and chocolate ...

I go to the woods for some trees and quiet when I need a break from everything.

Yes, this. And being near water helps

Take a hot Epsom salt bath, put fresh sheets on my bed, smoke a bowl, take a bike ride, write, make a cup of tea, curl up with a book, maybe pour myself a glass of something tasty, give my best friend a call, or engage in a little self-massage, whether that's my shoulders and neck or otherwise...

And I need to get better at making these higher priorities.

Hiking or more nature immersion. I feel at peace surrounded with the sounds of insects, frogs and birds. Visually exploring different plant species, noticing differences I’ve never taken the time to notice before. Or my favorite, studying a distant mountain range while trying to capture the magic I feel in photos. I get so into it that negative self talk stops and for a short time I’m not thinking of any of my stressors.
For me it’s a small moment of real peace.

I tend to bury myself in books or get myself together, get dressed up and hit a museum or walk around and window shop. Sometimes I take myself out for lunch.

Weed with a little scotch.

Now THAT is great self care!

I put some beers on ice in the cooler, grab a beach chair, and head for the ocean. Some reggae music playing on my phone and it's all good.

I like to put on an audiobook and go for a long bike ride. I also visit my own therapist (I am a therapist myself). Furthermore, I work on getting good sleep, eating a proper diet, and engaging in regular exercise. I spend time with family, friends, and community. I get chores and administrivia done in a timely manner so they aren't hanging over my head. This latter sounds like an odd choice for self-care, but it actually means a lot to be able to relax without (many) outstanding responsibilities.

I like watching an engaging tv series. Or being outside in the forest. Or going to live music!

I'm expected to be social as part of my job, so when not at work I tend to isolate myself. I spend most of my free time curled up with a book and a cat.

MMM. just off to bed now. 10 -o'clock Northern Ireland time' so self- care is brushing my teeth and hair, taking my pills, making a hotty , setting the alarm, getting on my P.J's and crashing into bed and frantically looking for where i have put my book- I also do a codeword sitting upright in bed before the book launch

Physical:

Exercise: hiking, weightlifting and running. Stretching.
A healthy diet.
Never smoked.
Never drank soda pop.
For 40 years, I have refused to eat deep fried and fast foods.
Sunscreen daily, year round, on my face and neck.
Wear a wide-brimmed hat while hiking and gardening.
Avoid alcohol.

Mental:

Meditation.
Reading.
Learning Spanish.
Volunteering to help people in need.

Emotional:

Forgive myself and others.
I wouldn't know a grudge if it mugged me.
Connecting with people gives me energy.
Setting personal goals.
Getting good sleep.

Good for you! These are signs of a positive life! I rarely partake in soda (the rare rum and coke being the exception). I quit smoking 12 years ago and it was the smartest choice I have made in my life. Had to toss out so many clothes that had the disgusting smell embedded in them. I have missed hiking and running after my surgeries, and am excited to be back on track. With nerve damage to my foot, AND still on track. Determination is my best friend and always has been.

I make some hot tea, put a face mask on, do my nails, shave, and work on embroidery

Lots of reading, games, sometimes jigsaw puzzles, needlework.

Eat clean, prioritize sleep, exercise, don't abuse bad stuff. For relaxation, a cigar. For relaxation squared, add bourbon or cognac. But not too much or very often.

Whatever happened to masturbation? Is irrelevant now?

As sort of an update: now that I'm back to walking a lot and getting ready to start running again, I'm planning to add more activities for self-care. I reached out to my former instructor in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and am looking forward to getting back on the mat in a few weeks (have to get clearance from my spinal surgeon); I've been lifting weights again (slow, light, and extended repetitions); I'm eating a lot healthier (kinda' a little disgusting to actually read the ingredients of some of the items we buy at the store).

Overall, 2019 will be the year I bounce back and increase my self-care. Thank you everyone for your incredible responses! I LOVE reading about how others take good care of their selves and nurture their core being!

Good for u. I saved two months money for bills,self educated in new areas, then read a book,painted some landscapes,played poker with friends and enjoyed my dogs.

Not sure if it's self care or self abuse, but I eat chocolate to pamper myself or cheer myself up. Or when I'm tired. Or bored.... Heck, who needs an excuse to eat chocolate? My man just bought me a 3 pound Hershey bar. He's wonderful.

Carin Level 8 Nov 26, 2018

Chocolate is one of the food groups ya know. What's you favorite?

Sapphire and tonic

Whatever I want, whenever I can.

Bourbon while browsing places I would like to live or the gym

I like to read or make some digital art (accompanied by a G&T if the sun’s over the yardarm), or watch TV. If it’s a nice day I like to do some gardening or walk my dogs. I have a couple of games on my iPad I play.

Also, baths are wonderful, I take ‘alexa’ with me for some musical accompaniment.

Hot baths, fat bowls and comfy jammies

I read, cook, knit, sew, drink bourbon (sparingly), eat ice cream, plan a trip. Sometimes I dance, but then I pay for that in pain for days, so it's self care AND self inflicted damage.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:148317
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.