Agnostic.com

65 11

What do you call your mother-in-law?

I've mostly just called her by her first name since I met her, but now my wife wants me to call her "mom". I'm not quite comfortable with that, though, because I love calling my own mother that.

Thoughts?

Rhetoric 7 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

65 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's the term I was looking for (X2).

What does she wants to be called, that is the real question..... Try all options, figure it out.

Ex-mother in law

Pilot Level 2 Aug 10, 2018

Thanks for all the responses, guys! (Some of you are hilarious!)

I think I'll start doing a mix of Mom in some of the more formal moments, Firstname some of the time, and when/if kids come around, Grandma Firstname. We'll see how it feels.

I called my in laws by their first names. My husband called my mom, "mom", sin e he loved her like a mom. I was never that close with my in laws, and would not have been comfortable calling them mom and dad. I think if you are uncomfortable with it, it will feel forced and awkward for all involved. I would stick with their first names.

I agree with you. If I had a mother-in-law, I would call her by her given name. I have a mom and a dad. But, my daughter's friends call me "Ma or Mama" and it doesn't bother me in the least.

Elphaba

First name

She is actually like a second Mom to me..but she is 92.....so out of respect for this grand and wise old lady..I stick to Mrs Clinch ..her Surname.

Generally I called my inlaws by their first names. They were kind of standoffish, and the daughters in law were not on the same level as the sons.

Dead. She was the MIL from some evil place.

My poor daughter, such a sweet person is stuck with the BITCH FROM HELL as her MIL.She puts everyone down, behind their backs even her own son and grandkids. She's manipulative, devious, a racist, a loud mouthed bully. And she recently moved into their quest house living there in the winter. She scowls at her own 2 year old bi-racial greatgranddaughter. I scowl back at her when I catch her doing that. It's my Great granddaughter, too and precious to me.

She and her son (my daughter's husband) argue constantly. It's not going to last thru the 1st winter, then she'll hussle her sorry ass back to W. VA. Oh and she claims to be A devout Christian.

Thanks for letting me rant a bit. I just suffered thru four days of her incessant gossip, hateful put downs of her own flesh and blood.

I called my first MIL Mom because she was like a mom to me.
My late husbands mom I never called her anything at all. She was not in my hubbys life for most of his life and they were not close . Just do what feels right to you .

It’s about your comfort not hers.
She’s not your mom.
Call her whatever you want.
My ex MIL has a family nickname I called her that
Would never call her mom
But that’s up to you

Both of my wives' mothers had died before we married, though I knew my first wife's mother prior to our marriage and her death. No, I had nothing to do with their deaths. I called my first wife's mother Mrs. (insert last name here), since I was a teenager when I knew her.

I call my mother-in-law by her first name and wouldn't change it even if my wife wanted me to.

When I was married, I called her mother-by-law.

Bipolar. Nah she's actually manic-depressive.

I called her by her first name because that's what she asked me to do

Deceased.

I call her by her first name or grandma first name because of the kids.

None. I no longer have any parents-in-laws.

Her first name.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:149807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.