Agnostic.com

200 18

Why do you reject the idea of religion?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

200 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am Haitian,great grandson of former slave.I was raised as a Catholic because my dad was a devout christian.In my country,caholicism is a state religion.At 17,I first rejec
ted the catholic church because they took side for Fran
ce and recognized Haiti as a nation after that country rob
bed us of 25 millions.At 19,I dropped all this religion thing when I discovered that the justification of slavery is in the bible.
I can just conclude by saying that religions,all of them,a
re a mind control tool.

I believe it creates major divisions in society, politics and science. You could argue that religion also brings people together, but I refuse to accept that as a positive thing in this case. Yes, it brings people together, but many different groups of people who learn intolerance for anything other than their beliefs. I always told myself this "if there is a god, then that God did not put me here to believe everything at face value. if a god did exist then that God gave me the ability to think for myself, ask questions and seek answers."

Because all religions are so obviously human constructs. Scientology was built by Ron Laffyett Hubbard for a bet and look at it now. Maybe there was someone called Jesus but he can not have done all the things attributed to him. Some of his ideas were very good though

I don't reject religion, since I was a young lad it never made sense to me!

I remember rejecting religion somewhere between ages 7 and 10. I was interested in astronomy and I knew there was no room for "Heaven" up there.

I'm a scientist that proves everything with facts. All of the religions are based on camp fire stories that have been rewritten over the years.

I don't. I reject literalist interpretations of religions, because, in addition to being potentially dangerous, they obscure the wisdom to be found in a metaphorical interpretation.

skado Level 9 Nov 26, 2017

Yes, religion if we must have it should certainly be taken as metaphorical. I also think that there would be so many great brains in heaven at least one of them would have been able to communicate with us by now in some way.

I don't reject it, I simply don't accept it. One definition of "agnostic" I like is, "one who knows that they don't know." None seem to pass my "sniff test" but some have elements that I find interesting, like reincarnation in Hinduism or the veneration of ancestors in Shintoism.

Theres just too much paranoia and mind control in organized religion.......Not to mention all the damn ritualism......Do this do that etc etc......

Because each organization under the umbrella of religion is based upon views and beliefs of mere men. Thus, we have sooooooo many different religions and beliefs to mirror the differences in our physical beings.

Well in the first page of genesis, god separated the light and darkness before creating the sun. That's the first problem. Then it continues into more contradictions, inconsistencies, and even tells you that if you rape and woman and her family finds out, you should pay her father 50 shekels and keep her as your wife... I forgot who said this, but if there's a turd in a pool, would you jump in? Well the bible is full of turds.

for many reasons, I reject it but mostly because I don't see any evidence for it and there are enough things that are very real to think about. I mean really I find it very laughable and stupid. if I invented a religion I would be locked up and deserve it.

I guess I come at this issue with kind of a 12-stepper's perspective. No one knows what happens when we die. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever for any kind of after-life or definitive proof that an after-life doesn't exist. If that's the case then why waste any energy on that issue at all? Why not control what you actually can control? Why not live the best life you possibly can right now? I try to do right by my friends and family, the larger community, the environment and the whole world itself. This is my higher power (see I told you I was a 12-stepper????) and I only really matter as a part of these greater wholes. Now I will acknowledge that I do not accept faith. I cannot accept something without some kind of reason/logic/evidence behind it. Since faith seems to be a fundamental tenet in pretty much all religions I do reject them on that basis. Plus 'because' as an explanation or justification for anything is a 5 year-old's answer.

It promotes a tribal mentality rather than unity. Compassion by the religious is often surpassed cruel or belittling thoughts and behavior.

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

I was raised as a conservative christian. The dogmatic nature of religion, as well as its fear based teachings, did a lot of damage to me. It took me a long time to realize that I had the power, and the right, to reject religion and live a secular life. When I finally made that decision, I began to realize that it wasn't only my religion that was dogmatic. In fact, many religions (not just cults) use brain washing techniques that include gas lighting, fear mongering, intense peer pressure and the threat of exile to keep their followers in line.

There are thousands of people out there who are still getting over the long term effects of their affiliations with religion, and there are even more people who haven't yet broken free. I understand that religion gives people hope, but more often than not, that hope is based on an intense fear of some kind of sin related threat, like hell. And more often than not, the hope offered by religion comes at the cost of higher reasoning and an unbiased understanding of science. I happen to feel that the cons outweigh the pros. That's why I reject religion.

Concept of christian, muslim, jewish or any religion god is impossible and here is why, look at the universe and how big it is nobody can't even comprehend how big it is and it is possible that it is not the only one but that there is multiverse, we know only small part of phisical laws, now put this all enormous thing together now think of it's master (if he existed) that being would be above all, he would be being of maximum understanding and power with no ego or love as we know it, we would be a grain of sand in eyes of that being because it is almost certain there is life on other planets (it would be egoistic to think that we are alone and that everything is made for us), he would ve creating big bang and life would be it's fenomenon, a highly overrated fenomenon, we would be like ants to it, because compasion, love, hate and ego are all chemical products in brain and that being would be free of it, it would not care if we worship it or not as it is not petty and small being like us and this is only if we assume that something like this is real

Marin Level 2 Nov 20, 2017

To a certain extent, religion requires blind faith. There are certain questions when should never be asked, and the sceptic in me goes haywire when I’m simply supposed to believe in something cause someone said it. Also being from a country where religion is given more importance than humanity or anything else, my feelings as an atheist and as a sceptic have grown over time.

Religion causes hate and discontent-look at whatis going on now with Trump and the Republicans. Also the Crusades killed Jews and Muslims in the name of God-Christianity.

I don't think religion is based in anything factual, which is a big deal to me, and I think it's been a tool for controlling and subjugating people throughout history and continues to be used in such a way today.

I reject the idea of belief. Religion is just belief specified.

I see people suffering in the countries i toured. Was i just lucky to be me? Why would god high 5 me and step back on other's? Does suffering build character? Who cares! People need real help and love and compassion. Why should they have to cry and beg and make promises. Damn.

My husband and I have been fortunate to be able to travel quite extensively. When I saw the poverty in many places we travelled, I realized there was not much I could do, I am not a millionaire ( a thousandaire ) then I found out about KIVA and have made small business loans to people in over a dozen countries, some as small as $75.00 but it made all the difference in their lives ( and mine, against all biblical stands I do take pride in helping others ) and so far no one has defaulted on a loan.

@Teresa. That sounds great.... your very kind hearted.

I don't, I reject any ideology which is not based on reason, however, religion makes a special claim for itself, to be divinely inspired. Echoes of 'The Hitch' but truth tends to ring loud in spite of superstitious nonsense.

religion was only created to control the masses, but it has got out of control now, as a example islam, its followes are srt on world domination, because of a drunken, woman hater scribbels in a book, aka the koran. do we need this.

I don't reject the idea, I just don't believe in it. Why? Stupid question. It makes no reasonable sense. I don't believe in god for the same reason I don't believe in the tooth fairy. What I DO believe in are facts. Carl Sagan said it better than anyone. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence. Reality and the scientific method are my guiding pillars.

The winders of the Cosmos far exceeds that of any god or religion!

The audacity that individuals think that their religion is the correct one . The war and hatred that it produces. The ridiculous things that they believe in. The brainwashing that they impose on their children

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.