Agnostic.com

27 7

Hello guys,

I'm new here so this is my first post. Thanks to the makers of this platform for an outlet to discuss freely.

So I have a religious background. My family is Christian, a serious one at that. Learned about God, devil, hell, heaven and afterlife. After several studies on religion, science and philosophy, I have come to be agnostic for the most part. I suffered gradual and mild depression over the period of this "de-conversion" from my childhood faith.

I think I have recovered from the depression of discarding almost all religious ideas that I use to believe in. But it remains that of afterlife. Looking at it objectively, it doesn't seem to me that there's an afterlife because it seems our reality is generated by the brain and when it is dead, the consciousness dies with it. I have also watched several near death experience anecdotes and I'm skeptical - I don't dismiss them completely. Why this is important to me is because I'm occasionally troubled that I will never see my family and friends again when I'm gone or when anyone of them is gone, and this is very worrisome to me; it's not death actually that disturbs me.

How do you guys deal with this kind of anxiety?

obis 6 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, thinking about the unknown and seemingly unknowable can be very thought-provoking, causing much stress. I've looked at information concern the universe works including astrology, the fermi paradox, quantum mechanics, string theory, the many worlds interpretation, 10 dimensions, black holes, vacuum decay, iron stars, heat death, etc. It fascinates me, but makes me feel nervous at the same time.

It seems much of it is just apathy. Not really caring about these issues and just enjoying life as it comes. Be grateful for some things in life many take for granted. Engaging in things that I enjoy (e.g., hedonistic).

Thanks for your thoughtful comment

I think one can be honestly interested in many of the topics you presented (BTW, did you mean astronomy?) & still enjoy life. I find a kind of awe in learning about cosmology. Yes, I may feel a bit small, but only in a rationally humbling & realistic way, IMHO. I am a humanist, but part of that is realizing the place we have in our universe & planet & society, & how we share it with others, both human & not.

@phxbillcee I did mean astronomy. Lol, not the zodiac or horoscope stuff.

I live my life now,,, I know for sure it is real,,, feel, smell, vision, hearing etc...this is life... it’s not going to a building singing and listening to a preacher read from a book that men wrote to scare people into submission... you can call it a cult... enjoy your life now... let the stress and worries go...nobody has died and ever came back to say ... yes... heaven is real... nobody... it truly is sad to see so many people that believe this fairy tale...welcome Btw...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15106
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.