Agnostic.com

58 6

Was becoming atheist difficult?

For me, it wasn't. My family has been in New York city for well over 100 years... Irish heritage. From an early age i didn't buy the story of Christ, let alone the catholic thing.

I remember asking my grandmother - if Jesus knew he was god, then why is any aspect of the story impressive?

The best she could do was to tell me "its just important to believe" which of course just doesn't last. But she never raised her voice or made me feel unaccepted in anyway. I was about 10 at the time, and never gave the god question much thought until i was 23 or so. I was irreligious but believed there must be something... then i met a woman who commented "unless god means a timeless, disembodied creator of the universe, then you're just playing word games". Ive been an atheist since.

Despite the religiosity of my mother, and her mother, i didnt get much guff for my questions. And i never felt in anyway disadvantaged for not believing.

I'm privileged to be an atheist in NYC... its really not a big deal in my experience.

Whenever the subject comes up, i freely state my disbelief. My biggest interest is how anyone can believe, and as far as ive been able to figure, its a combination of wish thinking, tradition, lack of consideration, or fear of death.

I'd enjoy hearing about other people's experiences.

Juggler67 6 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are all born Atheist, we are trained at an early age to believe in the B.S. handed us by our parents as they were trained by theirs and so on. But even as a youngster I never believed it.
The real question should be 'was becoming religious difficult?' History has shown us, yes, it is very difficult, and often deadly.

well I was taught night time prayers. Sometimes at the dinner table. The god is everywere was not believable. Then the Jesus died for our sins! And we are born in sin, then we are all sinners! all crap! Seeing religious people treat others like crap. All myths, legends, superstitions, and lies

I've always been one, don't know how to be any different. For me it's like asking me if becoming blue eyed was difficult, it's just the way I'm made 🙂

Not for me it wasn't. As soon as I understood what the word 'atheist' meant, I
knew I was one.
I was raised catholic, forced to attend mass every Sunday, forced to go through some of the sacraments, and forced to follow the dictates of the church.
That lasted until I was about 13, and figured out how to make it look like I'd been to mass, while I spent the collection money on breakfast at the Dunkin' Donuts across the street.
I'd always known everything I had been hearing seemed false. The older I got, the more I knew it was all bullshit. There are members of my family that didn't, and still don't, accept that I reject all gods and religion. I don't talk to them anymore.
I don't miss them either. They can take their judgment and shove it.

I've been completely comfortable embracing my natural default. I was born an atheist. We're ALL born atheists. Everything else has to be taught.
Btw, I've become a pretty staunch anti-theist as well. Seems only logical that
I would. All religion is dangerous and is a threat to humanity.

No, though I do find the slings and arrows annoying.

I never became an Atheist, I always was one. It was always obvious that the magical claims of theists were ridiculous.

I just stopped being a believer. I can't say it was difficult.

No. It wasn’t difficult. It evolved over the course of a few years as a natural progression.

One of the easiest things I've ever done.

The Jews invented Guilt. The Irish Mastered it.

I think unavoidable would be more accurate.

No, what would be difficult for me is pretending to believe in a fairy tale for grown ups, talk to imaginary beings, and associate with people who can read the bible, qur'an, talmud, etc. and claim theirs is a benevolent, loving god.

JimG Level 8 Aug 12, 2018

I was 9...it suddenly became clear to me what a steaming pile of hosshit it all was...that was many decades ago

Xena Level 6 Aug 12, 2018

It's always tough facing fear and pressure, but not as bad as having to lie to yourself for a lifetime.

I was an atheist all my life like all my relations so probably not difficult being one as I didn't have a 'becoming ' 'stage to overcome.

For me, it was agonizing. It still is. It has been hard to let go of eternity and the fact that there is no god who loves me beyond comprehension and invites me to foreverness. The fact that I will not see my parents again just about stopped my heart. That is still a tough one. After 70 years of belief, it is very hard.

Becoming an atheist was easy. I don't believe I was ever anything else. I went to church weekly with choir practice an additional day or two; however, I don't ever remember using the word Christian to describe myself. Athiest just felt right the first time I said it.

Not if you're raised an atheist

I think the hardest part was the mandatory circumcision, as an adult male I found that really painful but otherwise conversion to Atheism was practically painless.

I'm agnostic not athiest. My family and friends for the most part, don't know. They do know that I left the church I was raised in. Difficult isn't a strong enough word for that. I have PTSD from the experience. I'm glad to be on this side of it but it wasn't easy to get here.

Figured religion (as it did not confirm to reality) was a game adults used to control children when I was very young. It wasn't until I was in my 20's that I realized some older people actually believed in the BS. That realization was very scary. . . A world filled with older children with the power of an adult that did not grow up out of religion.

I feel trying to live a patently obvious Lie would be the difficult thing....like trying to pretend you are a Nazi when you are really Jewish, or gay, or gypsy.........

I grew up in a mostly secular Jewish family on Long Island/Brooklyn. It was fairly easy for me to drop any beliefs in god. It was a huge relief to me when I finally came out as an atheist. When attending any services be it a funeral or wedding, I just have to shake my head in disbelief in the BS and just keep my moth shut. My wife is a believer and that makes things awkward but I think we've come to an accommodation. I know prefer to be around other atheists.

I guess for my formerly catholic mother it was. I always had the impression that her agrophobia was the echo of her fears that there might be some divine authority persecuting her. Thunderstorms would just scare the hell out of her. Even my demonstrations, standing outside during a thunderstorm, didn't strip her of her visceral fear.

No being an honest child it was easy saying no to Santa Claus lies Ishtar boy bunnies laying candy eggs on dogshit lawns was also easy to say no to so alleged vaginal virgins birthing alleged baby boy gawds in dirty donkey stables was just another bullshit lie in dead of winter. ...what was hard = bigotry of peers against girls, my black kindergarten teacher and my beloved JW great Aunt Mabel. ....hard for a little kid to say the Emperor has no clothes when your mouth gets washed out with soap and your great grandmother is called a SQUAW. ...bigotry is all about white privilege AND ALLEGED PURITY OF CHURCH WEDDINGS authorizing fucking on demand

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.