Agnostic.com

18 1

How Well Do You Suspend Your Disbelief?

I was just watching Keven Smith's film "Dogma", which, of course, hinges on the existence of God, angels, and the whole thing. Every time I watch or read something like this, I find myself buying the premise for the duration of the story, and afterwards (or when I put the book down between chapters) I go back to being my normal atheist self. In other words, I suspend my disbelief for the purposes of enjoying a piece of fiction.

At one time I worried slightly that I would lose this ability, but it occurs to me that I never believed in the existence of hobbits outside of Lord of the Rings, or superheros outside of the Marvel universe or the Batman films. So now I just treat Christianity and its trappings as a fictional device like all the rest, and if a fiction piece takes it seriously, I accept that as part of the fictional trope, but nothing more.

Do you still find that you can suspend your disbelief when religion is a centerpiece of fiction, or does it spoil your entertainment?

Paul4747 8 Jan 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've always treated religious texts as works of fiction. As all works of fictions have some, however minute, truth.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 22, 2018

I consider it my solemn responsibility to suspend disbelief whenever I try to understand another person's perspective as if it were my own.

It's all entertainment to me, I don't have to buy in to the subject matter

The book and film are real, the story is a real story, not a true or real-life story. There is no suspension of disbelief for me when watching things like Constantine, The Watchmen, Supernatural, or reading a Sci-Fi Fantasy novels that have their own pantheons. Those are all stories that create a fictional universe separate from the real universe, there's no need to believe or disbelieve in the content as fact other than to maintain that it's real for the story.

Religion is just fiction.

I kind of want to believe in Hobbits to be honest.

Don't omit those gnomes

I don't worry about disbelief. It's belief that scares me. Belief is created in the absence of fact. I don't believe that the sun will come and go every day, it just will. I don't believe that the earth is round, it just is. It's those things that I can't prove that create belief. I believe in God... I believe in aliens, I believe in angels, demons, ghosts, Santa...

Since I don't believe in any of those things, suspending disbelief isn't an issue. I can (and do) watch ghost stories and think nothing of it. I write ghost stories. Harry Potter is my favorite movie franchise. I've read and watched The Lord of the Rings trilogy at least a couple of dozen times. When I watch or read those stories, I "believe" them. I buy the premise, but I leave it there. It's the story. The story is the story, and belief is the result of the story. When the story is over, the belief is gone.

Easy to suspend disbelief-movies are entertainment. Books are pure fiction.

The farmers almanac might fib once in a while but mostly fact.

I'm writing my second novel.

It takes place in a society of subterainian elves, who are capable of sorcery, and who worship a goddess called Udyth.

I have no difficulty generating fiction myself, or enjoying it. I 'know' it's not true - but neither is 'gritty modern drama' even if it is more believable.

I like fiction , & humor that tilts religion , but just because I'm reading or watching fiction ,doesn't mean I have to believe in it . There is no "Good Place", I guess I keep it real .

Dougy Level 7 Jan 15, 2018

It`s like when a car mounts the pavement (sidewalk if your US) in a movie and all the pedestrians miraculously get out of the way. With the exception of the fruit stand. Who gets smashed up so often, he must have a carpenter on speed dial

And they always (yes always) leave the car lights on, I mean ffs you yanks drive automatics, you can`t even push start em.

Dabbling into fantasy is a health release because our minds need to create. A jolt back to reality wakes you up though.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. – Aristotle

Playing make believe is one of my favorite subjects. It is often how you catch religious people in their bullshit. They often espouse views that they don't follow to logical conclusions.

I'm good with Dramas, not so much the Comic Book heroes, since that seems to be where Hollywood is going these days - I did enjoy the first "Iron Man" and like real SciFi.
I get a bit annoyed when a movie ends with a 'Miracle' and then get the evangelistic message, otherwise, I have to accept that most people have beliefs I would consider silly (I'm sure everyone has at least one)

like water of a ducks back it goes always. religion is part of life because of belief not because of truth. if it's relevant it should be there. I never brought my boys to be anything but free thinkers. I love special effects and vampire, zombie films etc.

Absolutely. Book of Eli is one of my favorite movies. I've actually had this debate before. I enjoy it for the creative application of fiction, not the vindication of faith.

Take out the religious junk and Book of Eli is about a blind Stoic. In my opinion the movie could have been so much better if they book had been left as a McGuffin.

Clear back to Star Wars on the big screen, ‘the force’ tainted it for me… I didn’t walk out, or not see the following ‘prequels,’ but not for anything more than the special effects, and Carrie Fisher 🙂 I’ve always felt there’s too little time for reality.. Toss in make believe and/ or religion, and no thanks.

Varn Level 8 Jan 15, 2018

I don't. That light is on 24/7. Rain or Shine. Summer or Winter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15326
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.