Agnostic.com

37 4

What's your favorite fictional premise? Do you like the supernatural in fiction?

Most of us don't believe in the supernatural-- but I like it in fiction. (Where it belongs!). Vampires, ghosts...

but, I especially like stories about person in another world.

You?

silvereyes 8 Jan 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

this caused me to think of a film I haven't seen in a long time. Being There is a film with peter sellers. its funny. not sci-fi, but his character has a very unique place and path in the story. psy-fi perhaps.

best of the best

I make a living between historical and fantasy story telling sculptures mainly. There a fine line between fantasy and historical, depending who is writing the story. It's fun escaping into fantasy world's for explorination. Yet actually living in ancient fictional or not, world's will not advance us nor them.

@Rugglesby Best of the best is a GREAT film!

Science fiction fantasy... Star Wars type shit. Throw in some time travel, and a planet of women in bikinis and I'm all set. 😉

lol

Did you ever read any of the "Gor" series? I read them as a teen. My kind of place.

@Rugglesby - no - I'll check it out. Who is the author?

@Hominind John Norman/John Lange though I am certain I read others by different authors, there were so many of them, I just found this, didn't know it existed.

I am a sucker for time travel fiction, and and secret code Dan Brown type stuff. I know it's silly, but I love it

I like Dan Brown too.

I read Angels and Demons as well as The Davinci Code..

If you have netflix, you might like to watch "Dark" .

I love the Twilight serious
I love Ann Rice
I have enjoyed some young readers
series about fairies

Read all 5 Twilight series books.

Dean Koontz wrote about these nanobots that would altar people's DNA and they would turn into animals. How cool would it be to shape shift into different people and animals.

Fantasy themes are very enjoyable in fiction. Or, they can be, with the right treatment. I really enjoy Game of Thrones' approach to magic and fantasy creatures -- they're rare, distrusted, and not always deployed in a way that interferes with the basic human conflicts. Even the dragons, while very powerful, are not invulnerable.

Of late, I've enjoyed more of the "speculative fiction" as opposed to full-blown fantasy: alternative timelines or real-world-with-a-twist sorts of things. Those can be very good ways to hold up a mirror to the real world and point out something about it.

Ah, see, for me the sex and the violence are are enhancing, not diminishing, features of the show. But YMMV. Cheers!

Supernatural is my favorite television show.....lol

Whimsical...Like Water For Chocolate...

@CeciRosane60 that movie is on my top favorite movie list!! Love it!

I like science fiction, Star Trek and the like. I don't go too much out of my way for supernatural-themed fiction, but I have been watching The Exorcist tv series. 😛

I'm a science fiction kind of guy.. any star trek movie...

When I was young I loved sci-fi and still do but my supernatural is usually movies. I watch a lot of them. I did read all of Ann Rice's books.

gearl Level 8 Jan 16, 2018

Vampires has I view them in my fantasy universe... they don't live forever, they age slowly and their brains breakdown before their bodies so they end up with alzheimer's and senile still trying to suck some blood if they just remember how.

I’m interested in historical fiction. That’s my favorite; however, I do like supernatural fiction just not science fantasy gone bad. The more logically realistic, the better it is.

Cannot remember the author or name of a sci-fi short story where astronauts (nasty humans!) go to a planet to take over and all anybody there will say is "MYOB", even if threatened or killed. The would- be conquerors give up & go away. Turns out the MYOB stands for Mind Your Own Business and it made a Huge impression on me....no entity can conquer even a seemingly powerless group that simply stands its' ground!

Star wars and I'm a wizard harry

Some fiction is good especially if it has some lessons or true background ('Stones in the River" is one such book). An early book which was so transformative that I bought several copies and sent them to friends is "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.It's about a mind reading gorilla and his perspective of humans. I became a follower of his.

First, I am an avid reader. Next, my favorite are vampires. Especially the Chicagoland Vampires written by Chloe Neill. I also like the Storm Chronicles by Skye Kinzley

To be honest... I like it here and what ever is here. So if whatever not happening here. Is not of my concern until I am part of that other plane if that is the case to be. Vampyre lore is cool but I prefer what's real. There is a lot of Fantasy that is cool to look at or read about. Fantasy that makes us think... imagination and creation could have no limits so there is always something new by someone. But reality often enough could be stranger than fiction, that is a reality that interest me... that strange reality... like the few people that can see noise. The blind that knows visual perspective. Those few that may had seen a real ghost. The ones that returned from the dead. Was it really death? That is the reality picking up my brain. The one that my brain can't comprehend to satisfaction. That is my workshop as far away from fantasy as possible. Our Weird Reality that maybe is the normal to the guy next door.

Stephen King is a favorite. He covers about everything supernatural

Does anyone watch the show Lucifer? It's awesome...the guy who plays the devil is fantastic

Being fair and just all the time

I like mythological fiction that conveys higher values or sheds light on human nature, such as the hero's journey. It doesn't matter to me whether it has a supernatural element as long as it imparts truthful insights.

skado Level 9 Jan 16, 2018

When Religious think their Supernatural is not fictional. It's difficult to work in a fantasy side to it. For example Russell Crowe in Noah's Ark Movie. Many Christians say it is the most un-Biblical film ever made. Yet, it is the only Religious movies in the top 100 box office sales of all time.

The old epic Religious movies of Charles Heston are dead. Like what Jim Carrey displays on his youtube play of Cold Dead Hands.
Nationaism and firearms is the new synthetic Religion of force. What keep sweeping all the Hollywood awards-
Sex and Violence.

Fiction is fun. It's pretend. It's the literary (or cinematic, or theatrical) equivalent of dressing up for Halloween or doing cosplay. It expands the mind and allows us to imagine things that never were and never could be. I like science fiction a lot, but I enjoy fantasy as well. I'm actually less interested in more mundane stories that could actually happen to someone. Pfft! If I wanted a story about a court case or drug addiction or whatever, I could just read the news. 😛

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:15742
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.