Agnostic.com

40 3

Audiobooks verse Regular Books

Two part question:

Which do you prefer?

Do you "see" the story the same with both or is there a disconnect with one over the other?

Crimson67 8 Aug 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Both

Love books but recently listened to Clare Danes reading Handmaid's Tale and Anthony Bourdain reading Kitchen Confidential was awesome. David Sedaris is also wonderful to listen to.

I love to read, but I don’t always get a chance. I have found that I enjoy audiobooks, for the simple fact that I can enjoy a book and still do something else at the same time. There are times I have to rewind because I missed something, but I do that with reading too, if I somehow missed a change of character and what was said didn’t make sense. They aren’t for everyone, but they do make long drives a lot easier, my work day a lot more interesting, and make chores easier to get through.

I prefer to read, as you asked I can (see) the story clearly with no distractions by reading.

I actually had this same question. I drive over an hour to work and wondered if an audio book would be better than just the radio or if I would end up missing my exit being drawn in too much!

I have vision problems so cannot read books any more. If I could read, I would greatly prefer a book in print.As a reader, I read rapidly and could control the flow of thought. Reading had more real consistency and flow.

Paper book always. I can write down comments and thoughts. It can be done with PDF files now however, an electronic copy is easily corrupted, misplaced, the computer crashed...keeping backups becomes a full time job and then you need a back up of the back up to be safe, only to discover when the time comes that they were not exactly the same, and on and on..... Paper copy stays in place unless you let someone borrow it (which is a no no) or your house burn down (I did type this with my fingers crossed ? )

I get distracted trying to listen at home as I have to be doing something while listening. So I do miss a bit. Audio for in car is great. I would rather read either book or ebook though. Get so much more out of it.

I agree with Sirena, I like both. Audio when I am traveling longer distances. Love a good book sitting at home in front of the fireplace or in the bed.

For technical books and books with lots of factual data, printed is better. For fictional or abstract conceptual, both are good.

Regular books any time. Actual reading, as opposed to listening, engages good parts of my brain and critical thinking skills. Listening... not so much.

Reading is easier, if I'm listening I tend to drift in and out so can miss bits, it also doesn't seem to resonate with images as much, I'm almost distracted by the voice outside my head which is different to my own one inside when I'm reading. If all that makes sense? 🙂

I like audiobooks because you can "read" them doing "regular" tasks that do not need a lot of thinking. Your experience is limited or enhanced by the narrator who reads the book for you. A physical book or reader book (like Kindle or Kobo) makes it easier to paint your own picture of the story. I love them both.

Gert Level 7 Nov 2, 2018

Would it be completely inappropriate of me to post a link to my book since this is a conversation among people who like to read books?

As a member of this community I don't think there's anything obnoxious about it. How's anyone going to find it if I don't make the effort to get it seen?

If anyone would like to check it out - [amazon.com]

There's mo audiobook format available at this time. Just print or digital.

I prefer waiting for the movie.

movies change things to be more active

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:158072
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.