Agnostic.com

36 25

Did i go too far . . . Or not far enough?

Recently, my mate's hyper-religious, Seventh Day Adventist relatives came over for dinner. They don't swear, don't drink alcohol, don't wear jewelry (even the women), don't dance and only sing sacred songs. Thrilling people. Knowing that the one thing they'd likely have to do during their hours-long visit was use the guest bathroom, I decided to adorn the shelf over the toilet with a statuette I affectionately call "Slutty Salome". Happily, almost all the nine visitors used the facilities and, unless they peed or pooped with their eyes closed, had to have---at least briefly---endured Slutty's salacious gaze. I had good fun . . . But did I go too far or not far enough in my attempt to stick it to the relatives?

RobLawrence 7 Aug 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You did great. Fuck them!

zesty Level 7 Oct 11, 2018

I wouldn't have gone out of my way to put something up to make others feel uncomfortable, but by the same token I would not remove anything I've adorned my shelves with on the chance they might find it objectionable. It's my home, decorated the way I like, and visitors have no say in my dΓ©cor.

I agree with you on this.

Exactly.. well said!

Very passive aggressive! Are you Canadian?

Or Minnesotan ?

perhaps an ornately framed jesus, with his eyes cutting toward Salome?

Growing up my mother had this statue in white marble. She displayed it on top of a cherub coffee table in the formal living room. She now has a larger version in the dining room. The statue is Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love.

I might have added jewelry. Just for that extra special little touch.

@RobLawrence I'm lucky, I don't have to deal with the *"severely Mennonite" relatives of my daughter in law. I saw them at the wedding and that was enough.

*Her words, not mine.

ROTFL not far enough! πŸ˜€

I believe this can be characterized as passive aggressive and, while fun and harmless (in this case), will eventually lead to misunderstandings, hurt feelings, and a strained relationship with your mate. This opinion is informed by experience.

@dreamsinflux I swing both ways in this regard - an ambidextrous co-dependent. I wish it weren't true. I'm working on it.

The questions i always ask before i do stuff like this is what am i trying to accomplish, and will it hurt or even disrespect other people?

I look at my actions, and ask myself if I am being petulant. Who needs to act the adult, and will I let my dignity let me act below my standards.

@Holysocks Well said.

@CoastRiderBill I had a very emotionally intelligent girl friend who taught me when in my mid-20s. It was a lesson i never forgot.

I think I would have just let well enough alone, enjoyed the company of my mates relatives and tried to make everyone's time together as enjoyable as possible.

@RobLawrence What one believes does not make one a "horrible" person. How one behaves and what one does determines if one is a "horrible" person.

That's great and the phallic can of Glade she's clearly coveting is a perfect touch. GENIUS!

Look at that dirty, dirty glade deodorizer. So naughty.

I think it was just right. Not overly inappropriate but still a bit scandalous to the prudes. Did they say anything about it?

@CoastRiderBill because he said β€œThey don't swear, don't drink alcohol, don't wear jewelry (even the women), don't dance and only sing sacred songs. Thrilling people.”

The definition of prude is a person who is or claims to be easily shocked by matters relating to sex or nudity.

Since @RobLawrence chose a figure with her breasts exposed because it would make them uncomfortable or whatever, I assumed they were prudes. As in, uncomfortable with exposed breasts.

My son in law's came to my house, to meet me, before they were married, and now, if they come to visit, they stay at my house, so they don't have as many steps to climb as their house. They are Jewish, as is my son in law, and they know I am pagan. I have a lot of artwork, and a lot of eclectic stuff in my house. I don't put my stuff away, but I would never deliberately put out something to make them uncomfortable or embarrassed. If you did that deliberately, to make them embarrassed, it is too far. If that is something you always have out, that's different.

I agree with you on this.

@RobLawrence they were pretty judgemental at first, but over the years, they got to know my daughter and I and became much friendlier. If I would have repaid their judgemental attitude with rudeness, it would have never improved. Even if they stayed judgemental, being deliberately rude would not have reflected well on my character or integrity. However, I feel that we all need to do what we think is best, so, if you feel that is what is working for you, my opinion has no bearing.

If you served a meat dish, you went to far.

@RobLawrence I remember when being a vegetarian was exotic. People were fascinated by my choie. So good to see such awareness & the embracing of a plant based diet becoming more common.

I think it was just right.

Oooh - you could add in secular saint candle - like this nice Carl Sagan candles (that is assuming they would who Carl Sagan is!) [philosophersguild.com]

Ohub Level 7 Aug 19, 2018

I lived with my 2nd husband (as a housemate) when I first moved to Wichita, KS. He hosted Mormon missionaries once a month in his home for dinner. He was none to happy when I refused to hide my gargoyle statues and HR Geiger like paintings before they came. At least I didn't have my stone skulls out in the open (they were in the bedroom).

I did compromise though; I didn't unbox my Living Dead Dolls until I got in my own place.

Nah, I think you were about right. πŸ™‚

As respectfully as you could have done it probably. Maybe you can break this out next visit lol

Absolutely perfect! Love it

I love it.

I used to have a goat skull, complete with large horns, with a solid black half burnt candle stuck to it. I burnt the candle so it had wax running onto the skull, I also cut myself while working on the car and dripped some blood on the skull as well.
I got quite a few quizzical looks from my room mates friends and parents, it was a hit at parties though.
My dog thought it tasted better than it looked.

I'm fine with it, but what the hell is cashmere Woods?

It's the little things that count !!

Oh, you definitely could have kept going. Have bottles of alcohol laying around; have a comedy show of George Carlin, Richard Pryor, or Bill Maher playing in the background; place nude paintings all over the house and maybe make a sign that says "SEX DUNGEON" and stick it on on a closet door that people walk by.

@JustLynnie Excellent addition πŸ™‚

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:159112
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.