Agnostic.com

18 3

I woke up this morning singing "Dear God" by XTC in my head. After a while, I moved to "What If God Was One of Us" by Joan Osborne. Then, while I was driving to work I heard 2 more songs that reference praying and believing. So... what's your favorite "god song" - regardless of the religious or anti-religious message that's in the song?

EGinAVMn 3 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

God Am by Alice In Chains

Sorry @RavenCT but I prefer Buckley's 'Hallelujah'. Like the XTC one too @EGinAVMN. Glad to see your picture back up! 🙂 Still trying to get my message through. I will succeed.

I like that one as well.

Spirit In The Sky- Norman Greenbaum, Free Will- Rush, God Save The Queen- Sex Pistols

Good save the wee meeaan it maaan..awesome!

Love that song by xtc.an all time favorite.

Imagine - John Lennon

Dear God - XTC is also very good

Hallejuhah (Cohen).

little girl has autism

@zerofrankp Very pretty voice! However this version has been Christianized. If that's a word? lol
Jeff Buckley Lyrics: Hallelujah

Well I heard there was a secret chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
Well it goes like this: the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall and the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah
Hallelujah [x4]

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to her kitchen chair
She broke your throne and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah
Hallelujah [x4]

Baby I've been here before
I've seen this room and I've walked this floor (you know)
I used to live alone before I knew you
And I've seen your flag on the marble arch
And love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah [x4]…

@zerofrankp

the one last in my head was El Shaddai, good tune and some of the lyrics are challenging. It has been years since I sang it, but I saw a reference to El Shaddai and the words came back to me. I guess I don't often wake up to songs in my head anymore.

I kind of like the Kidd Rock one... "only god knows why". Joan too.

Wow, those 2 bring me back...to my preconverted days! Throw in Personal Jesus and Blasphemous Rumors by Depeche Mode too!

What's weird is this version has little to no Christian references - it's really about love. "Hallelujah being a religious word of course. Well love and love making? 😉

The Smiths: "Dear God". Or Bau Haus: "Bella Logosi's Dead".

Eulogy-tool but I do like one of us too. it does make a good point.

... Jesus is just all right with me ...

The Byrds

... Jesus is just all right with me ...

My Sweet Lord
Let It Be
Imagine

The revealing science of god by Yes

This is not a favorite, but thought it was funny you brought this up. I was at work today and a song came on the radio that I was not familiar with. I had to stop and look up what it was. Oh Happy Day by Joan Baez. Lyrics-Oh happy day, when Jesus washed my sins away........... I thought I was in a Twilight Zone episode. Ugh!

"God" by John Lennon:

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:16085
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.