Agnostic.com

30 1

Are there any female atheist activists?

I know that it is still a world largely dominated by men, but in most areas we can also find women in top positions: famous and successful female artists, politicians, CEOs, scientists etc...
But there is one "profession" where women are conspicuously absent: I really tried hard to find just one name of a public female atheist, but I couldn't find one (and even if somebody could name one or two, the ratio would still be 1 in 10 or even 1 in 20...) . Where are the female atheist activists ? There are plenty of female activists in other areas: political NGOs, human rights, Greenpeace... etc...
I am not talking about female atheists - there is no shortage of them, although the ratio is less than 50/50 because atheists are predominantly males - but where is the female Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris? What is the reason for the almost complete absence of women in that particular public arena?
Is atheism for women only a private affair? (But sexuality is also a private affair, and we see female celebrities talking in public about their sex life)
Do women take atheism not seriously enough, so that they do not fight for it (and against religion)?
Thoughts?

Matias 8 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Madelyn Murray O'Hair comes to mind. For years she was THE Atheist.

Annie Laurie Gaylor, and her mother Ann Gaylor. They started The Freedom From Religion Foundation many years ago. You can read about many more in the book that Annie Laurie wrote. "Women without superstition". [amazon.com]

I'm glad to say i have not encountered Harris and i avoid Dawkins like the plague. Most rational atheists are part of the humanist movement and work to promote equality as opposed to hysterical posturing. ?

Dawkins supports humanism

Many of the prominent atheist figures have become so by debating. And debates are festivals of posture and rhetoric tricks. Hitchens was very good at this, but when women argue the same way they are seen in a very negative way by society. The are seen as bossy or mannish. I think this double standard and the social pressure of women not to raise their opinions lest they be shrugged of as hysterical is a good reason for there being less women.
The stigma of coming out as atheist might also be bigger, I guess.
(I talking about general trends here and not specific cases, just to be clear)

Dietl Level 7 Sep 18, 2018

@TheMiddleWay
This might be an unpopular opinion but Hitchens deosn't have very good arguments very often. He most of the time relies on the emotional impact of his words, like calling god a "divine dictator". But still he is a very good and effective speaker. It's soothing to listen to when you already agree with him and there are nice quotes that the avarage atheist can use to "hitchslap" the other side, but I don't think this is the most productive way to convince people.On the other hand different approaches will help with different people, so I think even Hitchens more rhetorical dabate style has its place.

Several studies have shown that women are much more likely to be serious about religion. Kinda a Homer/Marge dynamic. This most likely has something to do with the common declaration that you are bad if you don't go to church and more so if you don't take your children. This might also have something to do with the fact that women have more of a battle in society than men and adding the taboo of godlessness is more than they want to bear.

That said there are many women who are both atheists and vocal about it.

Here are some to look up:
Polly Toynbee
Greta Christina
Ophelia Benson
Susan Blackmore
Sumitra Padmanabhan
Susan Jacoby
Jennifer Michael Hecht
Patricia Churchland

Granted none of these ladies are one of the “Four Horsemen” of the New Atheist movement but all are accomplished, educated and have a public voice.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you for that.

You’re not looking hard enough 🙂 [msmagazine.com]

I suspect that there are a great many female atheists who, if they chose to be, could be every bit as prominent in the public sphere as Harris, Dawkins, Hitchens et al. However, it's my experience that women generally tend to be more content to keep their beliefs (or lack thereof) to themselves, rather than feeling the need to go around telling everyone else what their thoughts are on whichever their favourite subject happens to be, like men often do.

Jnei Level 8 Sep 18, 2018

@jlynn37 Having many friends who are religious, I have to say this has definitely not been my experience. It is, however, entirely possible that my own experience is very different to yours - while I have never been religious, my family followed a religion that strictly bans proselytising; I also live in a country where the largest church tends also not to proselytise and shows tolerance to other faiths and non-believers alike.

@jlynn37 If you refer back to my original reply, you'll notice that I said "women generally". The fact that women in politics and the clergy are only a tiny percentage of all women supports my argument rather than defeats it.

@Jnei I yield my dear.

@jlynn37 Well played. 👍

@TheMiddleWay I partly agree. I have a great respect for Dawkin's work in evolutionary biology and for Hitchen's political philosophy (I'm not so familiar with Harris), but very little liking for their methods in theist/atheist/anti-theist debate. I do believe that there are plenty of women who could indeed be as prominent as they are, and I'd like to see it - more women recognised for being intellectuals by society can only be a good thing. However, I would also like to see more people, female and male, gain that platform using different methods and attitudes.

Look where Madeline Murry O Hare ended up. She was one of the most hated women in America. Not a fate many of us would relish.

There seems to be a loud anti feminist part of the atheism movement. I don't know what percentage but they seems to be tolerated by the larger community. I know this has caused a number of women to step back. Check out elevator gate for a good example. tl;dr a women request men not to approach her in a way that made her nervous and the male atheist community freaked.

JeffB Level 6 Sep 19, 2018

There are several on The Atheist Experience and many more on Godless Bitches

I will definitely check these out! Thank you

@JenBeberstein check out AE when Tracy Harris is hosting. She is one of the smartest atheists I've seen, when interacting with religious folks.

@Eazyduzzit awesome, thank you!

I think that the issue of atheism is distorted in the Anglo-sphere. In other western countries atheim is so entrenched that there is no real need for advocacy. Though this can change dramatically very quickly.

But to an extent the absence of female atheist voices could play in the hands of conservatives who might want to criminalise abortion.

Australia might be slipping down that chute. Apparently the new despot from down under seems to feel that some god sent him on a mission.

One can only hope that liberal female voices are being heard and listened too when it comes to issues such as abortion and contraception etc.

In my opinion, few can compare with the writing style of Rebecca Newberger Goldstein, author of a number of books including the well-considered "36 Arguments for the Existence of God: A Work of Fiction," and who happens to be married to Steven Pinker.

I will def check this out

Annie Laura Gaylor (co-president of FFRF), Barbara G. Walker (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25834982-belief-and-unbelief and many other 'pagan books'😉, Jennifer Bardi Editor of the Humanist. Also, a recent Humanist magazine had 5 active Black females [thehumanist.com]. There lots of active women in this area.

I have an "evolve" fish on the back window of my truck and magically a dent appeared where it could not have appeared by accident. This is what happens when we are not careful.
It might be easier if we are relatively ananomous but unless there is a support system it's dangerous in some places (I live in South Carolina). I always like Betty Bowers but she is more entertaining than activist.

I love Betty Bowers!

Give it time! Women are putting words to action every day but unfortunately are overlooked or just aren't recognized. But one day (hopefully day one and not just one day) Female atheist activists will be known for the their work and start popping up like daisies

I am a woman and a feminist but not an activist active how I don't see the point in trying to convert anyone they will when they are ready and if they never get there it would still have been a life worth living I can't quite see what would be gained - people I meet are kindly enough - what does it matter if they have a sky god or not ? Isnt that a personal thing like a child having an invisible friend would you rip it off them ?

Since age 18, I have been an environmental activist, peace demonstrator and Democrat activist.

I care about the welfare of people- their health, education, housing, school, jobs, civil rights, and civil liberties. I care about protecting the environment.

Although I live in a rural, conservative, Christian town, I don't feel attacked. I have been an atheist since age 13.

My friends love me for who I am. Likewise. Two are ministers. They never hassle me for being an atheist.

I like signs.

for me its because its a waste of my time -i have no god i have never ever had one so what would there be for me to be active about?I have no complaints about people who believe its their business not mine

Women take the fight against the religious patriarchy- which crosses all cultures. Our activism is just that-from school boards, city councils, and day to day issues. We may hold our spiritual practices, beliefs and rituals very different than the patriarchy does. We just get it done in silence but wear the hat...and let the patriarchy who they are dealing with

EvaV Level 7 Sep 24, 2018

I see no reason for activism in atheism.

I find this hard to believe.

I think the activism may need to be rooted in formal education - philosophy of science, logic, etc. Not many people have training in these areas. If everyone studied theses topics at a high school level, perhaps the insanity, religious and otherwise (conspiracy theories, etc), would eventually erode.

I do. The pervasiveness of Christianity in our country is suffocating. It is also working its way into government to the point that in my state there was a law recently passed that public schools had to put up signs saying "in God we trust". I don't think it's going to get any better unless people make a stand.

Not for my non-belief. But for other causes,(e.g. first amendment). I would stand with others for separation of church and state. As for female atheists activist, I live in Kansas, so things are pretty futile. I also got threatened to be beat-up after I revealed to a group of people I did not know well that I was an atheist. I practice what I preach about not imposing my thoughts on religion, (or lack thereof), on others. The best I can do is be a kind person, and later share to those I trust that I am an atheist, and that might change their attitude.

How did that play out (the part about being physically threatened)? People in my area are just as bad, but they usually just cuss you.

Although she has backed off on the classification, Kyrsten Sinema who is now running for senator in Arizona initially acknowledged that she was non-theist. She is also bi-sexual and has a good chance of winning in November, at least I hope so. Also I didn't notice anybody mentioning Susan Jacoby who has written some excellent books on the movement. One of my favorites is Lisa Randall who is a physicist and an excellent author. Of course there was Madalyn Murray O'Hair and nobody took it more seriously or was more in your face than her but she is not living so not current.

gearl Level 8 Sep 18, 2018

I did not know that about Kyrsten, She has my vote even more now.

I found this site with a list of the 'top' (what ever that means) Atheists in the world.
You'll notice that many of them are women.

To add to other suggestions...

In the professional world
• Francesca Stavrakopoulou [en.wikipedia.org]
• Eugenie C. Scott [en.wikipedia.org]
• Marlene Winell [marlenewinell.net]

In the broader social world
• Greta Christina [en.wikipedia.org]
• Sarah Haider [en.wikipedia.org]
• Rebecca Watson [skepchick.org]
• Shannon Q

It's safe to say there are women out there who are trying.

Not sure if she is Atheist or Agnostic, but Karen Garst wrote a great book called "Women v Religion" I rather enjoyed.

[faithlessfeminist.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181907
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.