Agnostic.com

17 9

When you say "I love you", what does that mean? I am not referring to romantic love.

I love you as my sister or brother in my human family, I love you as the unique person that you are, I love you as a friend. To me I am saying that you are as important as I am. That you are entitled to all the rights and privileges that I have and enjoy. That your well-being is as important to me as mine is to myself.

jlynn37 8 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It means I'm not happy if you're not happy.

I say it often to my partner , and find that just those three words can be said in a variety of ways with different emphases, and it actually tells me more about myself listening to how I have said it. Sometimes playfully sometimes deeply meaningful and loving sometimes in a perfunctory way if I am for instance getting ready to go out. My partner and I don't live together and we are both retired person centred therapists - we don't often have to find ourselves in the place of protesting a love that isn't quite there yet.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Think that is a physiological response to famular occurrences that are that have some positive reflection to your sensory inputs.

It means we have a connection and a bond. It means you matter to me. It means you are part of my family, whether you're a blood relative or not. It means I'm here for you if you need me.

Love? Quite simply that if that person permanently left my life, it would be a massively traumatic event for me. I learned to put nobody's wellbeing (especially mental) ahead of my own, after suffering years of 'depression by proxy' with my ex.

If you ever find yourself on a depressurised aircraft, you sort your own oxygen mask out before anyone else's. Mental health should work much the same way.

I am admitting a trusted devotion to ‘you.’ ‘You’ have become an intrical part of my life. ‘You’re’ needs and desires are now my own… I am forfeiting a portion of myself to include ‘you’.. I want ‘you’ in my life forever ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 25, 2018

That sounds to me more romantic love.

@jlynn37 ...I thought the same of yours ..perhaps 'love is love'

Ditto.

English is a funny language. We have dozens of words for kinds of weather; hell, more than a dozen just for kinds of snow. But when it comes to love we have only that one word, whether we are talking about the way you did your hair, your feelings for grandma, the gals at Hooters, or your favorite jeans. I have wondered why that is; it can't be an accident or a coincident. Something evolved that usage in us. It's not open to argument, there aren't scholars debating the finer points, Webster seems to be comfortable with it. How come? Why is that? Please comment. I shiver with antici - ............................pation.

OMG my favorite movie of all time! I sing some of the great songs at karaoke!

I know the people I'm going to buy guns for now.

I agree with everything you listed.

I was about to comment, but your last sentence makes it unnecessary.

Two things: When faced with this question I wish the English language had the "Te quiero" (relative / friend) and the "Te amo" ( I love you) as Spanish does.
The second thing: When I say "I love you" to a person it doesn't mean he / she is AS important AS I am but is important TO me.....that his / her values and behavior are what I seek in those with whom I share my life.

Bingo. We that know spanish language got that little problem with the word "love" and how is used. It is just Lazy one size fits all.

Well Brother... you said it more clear then i could of. I agree with all of it. Thankyou for putting it out there so we could see it again.

well said.

I guess I don't use "I love you" casually.

I prefer saying directly, that someone is special to me, and my respect and high regard for them will be evident by my actions .

Would you never say "I love you" to a total stranger?

@jlynn37 if the situation presents itself...

@jlynn37 No, I don't think so. But I might hug them ...

Loving someone is about holding them in highest regard and valuing them as someone special to you. At least that is what I mean when I tell someone I love you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18227
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.